The Student Room Group

Any book recommendations please?

Hi,

I love reading for the enjoyment of it, and I'm wondering if anybody has got any book recommendations, please? In terms of academic stuff, I've got plenty of books to be getting on with, but I'm really looking for literature that I can read to relax, particuarily as I'm on my summer holidays now (I've just finished my A Level exams)

I haven't been reading very much int he past couple of years. Long story short, I struggle with OCD (Obsessive Complusive Disorder) and this has made it very difficult for my to read a book without distractions from my surroundings, re-reading sentences and pages again and again, etc. Basically, reading exhausted me, which took the fun out of it. I still had to do academic reading, so I reserved my energy for that and I haven't picked up a good fictional book for a while. However, I have now found some methods that help me to resolve that - eg using the word runner on the Kindle to show me only one word at a time. I'm sorry that the explaination ended up being pretty long. Basically, my point is that I am wanting to re-discover the joy of reading, and to get back into it, and I haven't been keeping up to date with new bestsellers or anything like that

I've just finished listening to the novalisation of Revenge of the Sith as an audiobook (I'm a bit Star Wars fan!) but I'm keen to try different genres, themes, etc. Please could you avoid the following things though?

I like to avoid books that contain lots of swearing. I understand that this can sometimes to quite difficult to avoid, so if a couple of characters swear occasionally in diologue then I can overlook that, but I don't like it when authors swear very often as I don't want to pick that habit up

If it includes romance then clean please

I can't cope with horror - Seriously I'll never be able to sleep again haha

I hope that's not too fussy, and I'm sorry that this post has ended up being quite long. Thank you very much in advance for your book recommendations!
My favourite books are The Starless Sea (not the best if you don't fancy a complicated book atm - I love it, but it can be very confusing at first), The Night Circus and The Binding. They're all magic realism / fantasy type books and I've found them quite entertaining, although I would check the content warnings if you're concerned about content as they aren't the lightest reads ever (i.e. not fluff).

Good Omens is also a very good/entertaining book! An added bonus is that there is the tv show based on the book as well.
Original post by Ahsoka5!
Hi,

I love reading for the enjoyment of it, and I'm wondering if anybody has got any book recommendations, please? In terms of academic stuff, I've got plenty of books to be getting on with, but I'm really looking for literature that I can read to relax, particuarily as I'm on my summer holidays now (I've just finished my A Level exams)

I haven't been reading very much int he past couple of years. Long story short, I struggle with OCD (Obsessive Complusive Disorder) and this has made it very difficult for my to read a book without distractions from my surroundings, re-reading sentences and pages again and again, etc. Basically, reading exhausted me, which took the fun out of it. I still had to do academic reading, so I reserved my energy for that and I haven't picked up a good fictional book for a while. However, I have now found some methods that help me to resolve that - eg using the word runner on the Kindle to show me only one word at a time. I'm sorry that the explaination ended up being pretty long. Basically, my point is that I am wanting to re-discover the joy of reading, and to get back into it, and I haven't been keeping up to date with new bestsellers or anything like that

I've just finished listening to the novalisation of Revenge of the Sith as an audiobook (I'm a bit Star Wars fan!) but I'm keen to try different genres, themes, etc. Please could you avoid the following things though?

I like to avoid books that contain lots of swearing. I understand that this can sometimes to quite difficult to avoid, so if a couple of characters swear occasionally in diologue then I can overlook that, but I don't like it when authors swear very often as I don't want to pick that habit up

If it includes romance then clean please

I can't cope with horror - Seriously I'll never be able to sleep again haha

I hope that's not too fussy, and I'm sorry that this post has ended up being quite long. Thank you very much in advance for your book recommendations!

The books by cathy glass are well worth a read. They are amazing.
The books by lisa stone are also very good.
Terry Pratchett for the win, especially the Discworld novels (though I’d recommend skipping the first 2 unless you are a diehard fan)
Reply 4
Thank you very much, I will have a look at all of these suggestions
Sarah cross an is also a great author

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending