The Student Room Group

Do you think there will come a time that you become tired of driving?

.......... as per above. Do you think someday you will lose all interest in cars and not enjoy driving?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This may be controversial but if automatic cars became standard I think driving would be a little less fun.

Incoming jokes about loving to play with a nice hard gearstick. :ahee:
Depends entirely on the driving you do. If I had to do say 100 miles a day of motorway driving and little else I'd ****ing hate it.
I hate and love it.

Driving 45 miles each way to uni now I get uncomfy and irritable especially when it's hammering it down and traffic slows to 30/40 on the M6. Which is fairly often and I've only been doing it 2 weeks! Done 12,000 miles so far this year and doing 450 a week so that will shoot up.

On the other hand. Sunny day heading towards Buxton with no traffic around down the twisty roads = alot of fun!
Reply 4
Original post by Cicerao
This may be controversial but if automatic cars became standard I think driving would be a little less fun.

A little!? It would be bloody awful! Autos are only acceptable in cars with huge engines, otherwise they should be cubed. :smile:

Original post by Cicerao

Well you are just filth.
Reply 5
To paraphrase Sir Stirling Moss, "when i scare myself, i'll give up".
Original post by Currrrtisssss
I hate and love it.

Driving 45 miles each way to uni now I get uncomfy and irritable especially when it's hammering it down and traffic slows to 30/40 on the M6. Which is fairly often and I've only been doing it 2 weeks! Done 12,000 miles so far this year and doing 450 a week so that will shoot up.

On the other hand. Sunny day heading towards Buxton with no traffic around down the twisty roads = alot of fun!

I feel for you.... during my final year I drove Aberystwyth to Birmingham 3 days a week for a job.
The days when I had to go in early mornings were by far the worst of the lot.

But then the moments when I get to go home once I pass Telford..... ahhhhh the joy.

Original post by Cicerao

Oh oh :tongue:

But tbh I went through a stage when I lived in London and worked in The City area and thought the automatic was a godsend :smile:

These days somehow or rather I still prefer my automatics, after a long day at work, I just want to get home... would be wonderful if I actually had a chauffeur.

Original post by HumorousGent.
Depends entirely on the driving you do. If I had to do say 100 miles a day of motorway driving and little else I'd ****ing hate it.

UK motorways, yeah I'm not really a fan of being on it...........but the German Autobahns :devil: :biggrin:
Reply 7
Already happened chap. Took three weeks of driving lessons with my mum (actual DSA trained instructor) to realise that it would become monotonous very, very quickly. I won't go into detail as I don't want to derail the thread but I feel claustrophobic and shut out from the world; hence the reasoning for loving my motorbike.
Motorway commuting is ****. That's why you have a daily, and a weekend car :smile:
Reply 9
Obviously depends what kind of car you are driving and where. A low powered car on a 30 mile motorway commute to work will get boring after about 2 days. A Caterham hired out for a track day however, is a completely different story.
Original post by Erich Hartmann

UK motorways, yeah I'm not really a fan of being on it...........but the German Autobahns :devil: :biggrin:

Autobahns are just glorified motorways. Even if you're doing double the speed it's still just going quickly in a straight line. It's dull dull dull, you just spend less time doing it...
Autobahns are just glorified motorways. Even if you're doing double the speed it's still just going quickly in a straight line. It's dull dull dull, you just spend less time doing it...

Hehe, you've never driven on the continent have you?

Miles less traffic. Roads are far far better condition. Very few senseless idiots sat in overtaking lanes. Extremely rare traffic congestion that causes stop start 30 minute waits like every time I travel between 7:30-9:30am and 3:30-6:30pm on a motorway. No idiots mindlessly braking for literally no reason.
Hehe, you've never driven on the continent have you?

Miles less traffic. Roads are far far better condition. Very few senseless idiots sat in overtaking lanes. Extremely rare traffic congestion that causes stop start 30 minute waits like every time I travel between 7:30-9:30am and 3:30-6:30pm on a motorway. No idiots mindlessly braking for literally no reason.

I have driven on the continent. I found the major roads to be better flowing but still utterly dull. Very few dual-carriageways or motorways are interesting, regardless of their being in the UK or Germany.
I've been learning to drive on and off for almost 3 years (don't laugh lol) and I'm already getting a bit tired of it now. Still, at least I'm set to finally take my test soon :biggrin:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I've been learning to drive on and off for almost 3 years (don't laugh lol) and I'm already getting a bit tired of it now. Still, at least I'm set to finally take my test soon :biggrin:

3 years on an off!

Over 3 years how many lessons have you had

( BTW did you listen to Teedra Moses? )
I have driven on the continent. I found the major roads to be better flowing but still utterly dull. Very few dual-carriageways or motorways are interesting, regardless of their being in the UK or Germany.

Fair do's. Still a lot less stress involved so abit more pleasant on the continent. :smile:

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Pass and your own freedom will change your entire life! Best of luck for your test aye.
Reply 16

Ooooh i disagree.. when you hit 135/140 and realise how quickly your approaching stuff in front of you it isnt so much dull dull dull.. The thought of what would happen if you just clipped the kerb keeps you so much more awake.

I found hardly anyone else going much over 110mph despite the abundance of nice VW's and Mercs. We asked a guy in the garage and he said something about petrol price and a whole lot of things i didnt understand.
Original post by L-J-B
Ooooh i disagree.. when you hit 135/140 and realise how quickly your approaching stuff in front of you it isnt so much dull dull dull.. The thought of what would happen if you just clipped the kerb keeps you so much more awake.

I found hardly anyone else going much over 110mph despite the abundance of nice VW's and Mercs. We asked a guy in the garage and he said something about petrol price and a whole lot of things i didnt understand.

Meh, I'd rather drive on an interesting bendy country road. It's a lot more challenging and involving; the enjoyment comes from driving well and being surrounded by interesting scenery rather than going fast enough to scare yourself on an otherwise straight, wide piece of road with nothing coming in the other direction.
Reply 18
So much so that I once fell asleep on the M1.........

And ive fallen asleep at work several times while driving.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
3 years on an off!

Over 3 years how many lessons have you had

( BTW did you listen to Teedra Moses? )

I'm not sure, around 70 maybe? Haven't listened to Teedra yet but will do soon.

Pass and your own freedom will change your entire life! Best of luck for your test aye.

Yep, true. Relying on public transport and other people giving me lifts is getting tiring now! Thanks :smile:

Original post by Riderz
So much so that I once fell asleep on the M1.........

And ive fallen asleep at work several times while driving.

WTF? Really? :s-smilie: How haven't you crashed and died yet? (no offence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending