The Student Room Group

What annoys you at swimming pools?

Scroll to see replies

When your feet touch the bottom of the pool and feel the sliminess of the tiles.
(edited 12 years ago)
housewives that stand in a cluster in the shallow end having a natter rather than swimming and always seem to move so that they are in your lane of swimming and you have to take another path
Original post by Pride
I can't swim either! It's not so embarrassing now... :five:

:five:

I always planned to learn properly sometime...but never really had the money, time or motivation....and I'm terrified too :colondollar:
Original post by Visions-of-Johanna
For me:
1) Chavs. Full stop.
2) That there are stupid people who you just know are criticizing what you're wearing and what you look like. It's a swimming costume, not a bikini, get over it. Yes, I have big legs, get over it.
3) Hideously, disgustingly, horrifically perverted men who don't seem to care about the swimming costume/big legs dilemma but concentrate more on ogling your chest.
4) When I just want to do laps and some kid whacks you with one of those manky foam floats shaped like a humpback seahorse with several bites taken out of it.
5) The health-freak people wearing streamlined, £200 swimsuits, swim cap, personally designed goggles - the works - that swim three times as fast as me and seem to make it a competition to see how many times they can lap me.
6) Changing rooms.
7) Communal showers. I'm all for body-confidence but you do not need to wander around as naked as the day you were born, then bend over right in front of me, when there's a perfectly good seperated changing room 2 metres away.
8) People who don't swim when they get to the pool - ie: 13 year olds who just flirt with each other and enjoy being semi-naked in the presence of others.
9) Life guards who have those sneaky talks with other life guards whilst looking at you. I may be paranoid, but I am so sure they're laughing at me.
10) The fact that I am a bloody terrible swimmer. haha

Other than that, I'm fine with swimming pools. :biggrin:

Number 4, LOL!
The perverts who follow you around. Yes, they do exist.
Every time I went, I'd always have someone following! Womens only is definitely not an option because you always end up kicking a little kid in the face, one way or another! :eek:
Reply 25
As a lifeguard I find these things very infuriating:
1. People who are obviously trying to lose weight but just stand in the shallow end
2. Kids who think they can bomb and flip
3. People who wear muddy shoes in the changing rooms
4. Parents who think they're responsibility is gone if the lifeguard is there
5. Customers that pee in the pool, yes i can see that.
Reply 26
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Old men who seem to want to be naked for as long as possible in the changing rooms. Yes, I know it's liberating and within your human rights, but it's not a pretty sight and I didn't come to see your wrinkled John Thomas.

(edited 12 years ago)
water going into your mouth knowing full well that people have peed in it
Reply 28
Hair on the floor...
Makes me cringe. And I know it's always going to happen, but when you have to actively avoid it all
:puke:
Reply 29
Original post by interpretation
when your feet touch the bottom of the pool and feel the sliminess of the tiles.

omg i hate this ew ew ew

eew
Original post by Visions-of-Johanna

4) When I just want to do laps and some kid whacks you with one of those manky foam floats shaped like a humpback seahorse with several bites taken out of it.

That was me ten years ago :colone:, I used to love biting those things...not sure why.
Reply 31
People who don't have a clue where they are going. Oh your doing a lap? Oh well I guess I better swim in front of you and take my time too.
Original post by H.JJJ
omg i hate this ew ew ew

eew

I know, right? Sometimes, I get so paranoid that I start treading just to avoid having to touch the bottom of the pool :rolleyes:
Reply 33
People who take up 4x more room than required
people who constantly splash when swimming (usually children)
people who don't look where they're going
wet/dirty changing room floors when I'm walking around barefoot
Reply 34
When people wrinkle up their noses at the smell of my urine, like my kidneys aren't all that.
People who swim widths, not lengths. :pierre:
When I was a kid.. the fight for massive floats during fun hour. It actually ended in a physical float-hitting fight situation and some bully kid smacked me around the head with one. Also.. who the eff eats the floats???
Reply 37
Original post by TheQuietOne
:five:

I always planned to learn properly sometime...but never really had the money, time or motivation....and I'm terrified too :colondollar:

yeah, it just feels impossible to stay on top the water for me :teehee:
Reply 38
People stare at you in the changing rooms...... Have you not seen a penis before? :colonhash:
Please tell me how you find your created thread in TSR? like say if i wanted to come back to what i posted to see what people said. how to i get to the page? i am new here

Quick Reply

Latest