The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I got into Edinburgh University using OU credits. But each Uni will have its own policy regarding them. You are best off checking websites and e-mailing Uni's.

*Jaded
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
JadedHippy
I got into Edinburgh University using OU credits. But each Uni will have its own policy regarding them. You are best off checking websites and e-mailing Uni's.

*Jaded

Hi thanks for your reply. what OU courses did you do and what grades did you get in your credits. i recieved 63% pass in an OU course titled 'an introduction to humanities' it was a 60 point course.thanks for your help
Reply 3
I did first year of social science degree and was able to get 120 credits from that to go on to further study with OU. Other students were able to go onto related courses, such as sociology with psychology, straight into the second year at brick unis.So you have 60 credits, or half of first year uni level.
I'm doing DD100 (60 point Level 1 Intro to Social Sciences) with the OU - I enquired to a couple of unis in London about whether a good pass in this course would be sufficient entry requirement to get onto a full-time Sociology degree and was told it would. Having said that, they often have much less stringent entry requirements for mature students. I would advise emailing or ringing the admissions office at the unis you're interested in and ask them!
Reply 5
I enquired to the open university about this and they sent me this letter. Hope this helps.

Iain
I've done quite a few OU courses and I'd say that the letter is incorrect as you can do courses starting with A at level 3 which is more like the last year of a degree... at least that's what i thought and to be honest the level of study was like that. My brother also did an OU science course at level 1 and could have gone to Cambridge if he had finished his maths course as well... so yes if you can succeed with a good overall grade, present yourself well at an interview and write a coherent personal statement i'd say you'd be fine.
I am thinking of studying the University Certificate in Astronomy at the OU. :biggrin:
Reply 8
I dont really understand the OU system..

To get an undergraduate degree, do u basically have to do x amount of mini course things which all add up to x amount of points which equals a degree?

And you dont need any qualifications such as GCSEs or A levels to begin studying there?
Reply 9
That's correct - no previous study needed before studying with OU. I think it's 300 credits needed for unnamed 'Open' degree, and 360 credits for Honours degree which needs some compulsory courses. You can use credit from some other sources towards your degree sometimes. So if you do 120 credits a year it's equivalent to one year at brick uni.
An ex-colleague of mine went to the OU to study a science discipline. I've used the past tense since this was 3 years ago and have not seen him around since leaving my old workplace.
sidi
That's correct - no previous study needed before studying with OU. I think it's 300 credits needed for unnamed 'Open' degree, and 360 credits for Honours degree which needs some compulsory courses. You can use credit from some other sources towards your degree sometimes. So if you do 120 credits a year it's equivalent to one year at brick uni.

Yes this is right. Courses are at 3 levels, level 1 being introductory with quite a steep curve up to brick uni 1st year standard. Levels 2 and 3 are equivalent to 2nd and 3rd year level at brick uni. They do post-grad courses and research too.

Latest