The Student Room Group

Modern Studies help?

Deleted
(edited 2 years ago)
Maybe take a look at the Calman Commission? It's not cut-and-dried, which might be a good thing, and there are elements in there for both sides of the analysis. Discussion around tax powers for Scotland has also felt a bit more amicable: it gives Holyrood more power, but also reduces the block grant which is so opposed down South; obviously there's a balancing game there, but it might be fruitful territory. There were comparisons to coalition in Scotland after the Westminster general election, but I'm not sure if there's anything interesting or relevant to say there.

It's tangential, but you might find interesting fodder in the Holyrood-Westminster SNP-Tory pairing. Especially with a real prospect of a Tory majority next time around, the Lib Dems having made themselves unelectable, and Labour not showing any signs of an especially strong fightback. Salmond has commented on how this conflict plays into their hands before.

(I'm not a Modern Studies candidate, so this is just a brain dump. I haven't had to write an essay on any of this, so they might be bunk!)
Reply 2
Check the past paper marking instructions on the SQA website!
Have a look at Sewel motions (Sewel Convention) as examples of 'co-operation' where Holyrood will fast-track and adopt legislation already passed by Westminister. Although I'm not sure if by 'areas' you actually mean areas of legislative competence (devolved/reserved).
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending