The Student Room Group

Dental hygiene and dental therapy 2012 entry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hello everyone :smile:
Sorry, I'm new to this and don't really know how it works yet!

I am an A-Level student and have been offered a Conditional place to study the Dental Hygiene Diploma at Cardiff.

Just wondering if any of you have managed to sort out your student finance yet?! Are all of our tutition fees paid for by the NHS with the addition of the bursay and grant? Or is the bursay to put towards our fees?

Also has anyone going to Cardiff chosen a residence yet?
Reply 581
Original post by chrissy
HI everyone,
I applied last year for the dental hygiene and therapy but all degrees and didn get in. this year im applied for the diplomas as well but how different are they and is one better than the other. When finishing the course will they both be recognised at the same level when applying for jobs. Also got an interview for queen mary and i'm really nervous.

hi chrissy, i had my interview for Queen Mary on the 7th of march. When was yours? and have you heard back from them ?
Reply 582
Original post by Kelly2012

I am an A-Level student and have been offered a Conditional place to study the Dental Hygiene Diploma at Cardiff.

Just wondering if any of you have managed to sort out your student finance yet?! Are all of our tutition fees paid for by the NHS with the addition of the bursay and grant? Or is the bursay to put towards our fees?

Hi Kelly :]

I've firmed Cardiff to study the DH&T degree & literally just completed my residence application. My first choice is Allensbank House.

And student finance... I'm still trying to tackle that, I think the bursary covers our course fees for the time length of our course. I haven't made too much progress on my application tbh.
Reply 583
Original post by shemi
Hi Kelly :]

I've firmed Cardiff to study the DH&T degree & literally just completed my residence application. My first choice is Allensbank House.

And student finance... I'm still trying to tackle that, I think the bursary covers our course fees for the time length of our course. I haven't made too much progress on my application tbh.

Congratulations!
I'm also thinking Allensbank as it is so close to the Heath Campus. Now I am just trying to decide between the different Talybonts/Uni Halls!

Yeah, I am finding the whole finance thing difficult to understand. I am hoping Cardiff will send our details to the NHS soon so that we will recieve our email/letter explaining it all properly!
re finance: The NHS pays all course fees (regardless of income, this is not means assessed.) Everyone has to apply for NHS bursary each year although some will not be eligble, this part is means assessed think the top bursary for degree is about £4000 (can be more if you have dependants.) The diploma bursary as far as I know is non-means assessed and is quite a lot (was around £6000 i think for the Cert HE dental nursing students but may be different for a DHT diploma.) Bursaries/course fees do not need to be paid back. You can also apply for a student loan but because NHS students are eligble for a bursary this is reduced regardless of whether you actually get the bursary or not, mine was £2400 for the first two years. Obviously student loans have to be paid back in time

Hope this helps (I'm a final year student at Portsmouth who should actually be writing assignments right now haha!)
Reply 585
Congratulations!
I'm also thinking Allensbank as it is so close to the Heath Campus. Now I am just trying to decide between the different Talybonts/Uni Halls!

Yeah, I am finding the whole finance thing difficult to understand. I am hoping Cardiff will send our details to the NHS soon so that we will recieve our email/letter explaining it all properly!

I found it tricky to decide between Tabybont & Uni Halls... but I chose Talybont over Uni halls because it seems to be closer to things :] but i hope i get Allensbank, seems nice there.

Do you happen to know if the NHS bursary is income assessed? i have no idea at all.
Reply 586
Original post by HolliAnnaBella
re finance: The NHS pays all course fees (regardless of income, this is not means assessed.) Everyone has to apply for NHS bursary each year although some will not be eligble, this part is means assessed think the top bursary for degree is about £4000 (can be more if you have dependants.) The diploma bursary as far as I know is non-means assessed and is quite a lot (was around £6000 i think for the Cert HE dental nursing students but may be different for a DHT diploma.) Bursaries/course fees do not need to be paid back. You can also apply for a student loan but because NHS students are eligble for a bursary this is reduced regardless of whether you actually get the bursary or not, mine was £2400 for the first two years. Obviously student loans have to be paid back in time

Hope this helps (I'm a final year student at Portsmouth who should actually be writing assignments right now haha!)

Thank you! That is really helpful! :biggrin:
Reply 587
hey everyone, has anyone had any offers from Queen Mary/Barts yet?
Reply 588
No..no yet! I keep on checking my e-mail! Good luck!
Reply 589
Offer from Edinburgh - Oral Health Sciences (Same thing) :smile:
Reply 590
Original post by chloxo11
hi chrissy, i had my interview for Queen Mary on the 7th of march. When was yours? and have you heard back from them ?

Hi, I had my interview on the 26th March and they told cause of the high number of applicants they will be telling everyone around the end of April. They had 100 ppl to interview and they had not finished, don't know what the last date was , but some were being interviewed on the 2nd.

So unfortunately we have to be a bit more Patient. Well good luck and hope everyone is enjoying their Easter break xxx
Got put onto the reserve list for UHI, don't know how to feel about that :s-smilie: haha!
Is anyone else on the list too? x
Reply 592
Original post by JnKnPt
Offer from Edinburgh - Oral Health Sciences (Same thing) :smile:

same here. What your first choice and what offers have you had?:smile:
Reply 593
Original post by SuperRVP
same here. What your first choice and what offers have you had?:smile:

Well I've firmed my offer from Birmingham for Dentistry so that's my first :smile: But this course is incredibly good and for BBB entry as well it seemed like the perfect insurance :smile:
Reply 594

hey kelly! i got offered the same im also re doing my a level! Do we have to start sorting our finance out already? from what i heard about tuition fees they are still nhs funded! but i could be wrong! luckily tho il be living at home to study! cheaper!
Reply 595
Original post by JnKnPt
Well I've firmed my offer from Birmingham for Dentistry so that's my first :smile: But this course is incredibly good and for BBB entry as well it seemed like the perfect insurance :smile:

Nice one well done :smile:. Im hoping to do graduate dentistry after OHS. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?
Reply 596
Original post by SuperRVP
Nice one well done :smile:. Im hoping to do graduate dentistry after OHS. Do you mind if I ask how old you are?

Thank you :smile: And I'm 17, final year at college so obviously the offers are conditional :smile:
Reply 597
Original post by JnKnPt
Thank you :smile: And I'm 17, final year at college so obviously the offers are conditional :smile:

same. Last few weeks of school. Well good luck anyway with your course :smile:
Hi, Im new to this, I have a place at Cardiff to study Dhdt. Does anyone else and if you have, have you looked at accomodation?? I was thinking Allensbank or Talybont :smile:
Reply 599
Offer From Manchester!! :biggrin: ahh soo excited! has anyone else got an offer?????

Quick Reply

Latest