The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

My UCAS track just got updated to Unsuccessful from Leeds Met :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Soulscare
My UCAS track just got updated to Unsuccessful from Leeds Met :frown:

:hugs:
Reply 4002
Just got a conditional from NTU, now I'm just waiting for the one that will probably be my insurance. Typical XD
Original post by whattheheck
:hugs:

+Rep for making me smile xD
Reply 4004
Original post by .gina

Original post by .gina
Just got a conditional from NTU, now I'm just waiting for the one that will probably be my insurance. Typical XD

Congrats! What course? :smile:
I just want to know my results so I can decide what to pick as my insurancee :frown:
Reply 4006
Original post by MoW
Congrats! What course? :smile:

Politics :biggrin: Probably won't be one of my choices though but still nice to be given an offer :smile:
Reply 4007
Original post by 1platinum
Waiting for news from Edinburgh is driving me crazy.....

Original post by Gales
Me too :frown:

Me three. :frown:
Original post by Quirynn
Me three. :frown:

Me four :frown:

On the bright side, less than 3 weeks till March when they start thinking about making offers.
Reply 4009
Original post by roar558
Me four :frown:

On the bright side, less than 3 weeks till March when they start thinking about making offers.

They've started, School of Humanities hopes to get most of its offers out by the end of Feb
Original post by Gales

Original post by Gales
They've started, School of Humanities hopes to get most of its offers out by the end of Feb

That won't happen. I'll tell you that now.

The HSS college houses the schools with the most competitive courses in the university where in some cases only 6% of applicants get an offer.
Edinburgh are being very very optimistic if they have told you that they will get all of their offers out an entire month before the suggested UCAS deadline when in fact they have until May to reply to you. They have that long and they will take that long - unless the university has dramatically changed its entire administrative team for 2012 entry!
Reply 4011
Original post by oxymoronic

The HSS college houses the schools with the most competitive courses in the university where in some cases only 6% of applicants get an offer.
Edinburgh are being very very optimistic if they have told you that they will get all of their offers out an entire month before the suggested UCAS deadline when in fact they have until May to reply to you. They have that long and they will take that long - unless the university has dramatically changed its entire administrative team for 2012 entry!

Someone (a couple of pages back) said that they phoned the Humanities department and they said that they'd try to get out most offers in the next 2-3 weeks, so who knows. Let us be optimistic oxymoronic! :tongue:
Original post by Gales

Na for the course I've applied for (medicine), they will only give rejections up till march :frown:.
Original post by Gales

Original post by Gales
Someone (a couple of pages back) said that they phoned the Humanities department and they said that they'd try to get out most offers in the next 2-3 weeks, so who knows. Let us be optimistic oxymoronic! :tongue:

I am optimistic.

However, I'm also someone who had the pleasure of dealing with Edinburgh administration (in the HSS college) for four years during their undergraduate degree and has also spent the last 6 years on TSR working with students who are applying to Edinburgh. The trend every single year is that Edinburgh are one of the slowest universities in the country to make their decisions and continue making decisions on applications well into May. For example, a few years ago (2009 entry I think) lots of people were sent medicine rejections in early May after being made to wait for over 6 months for the decision. I have no reason to believe that this year will be drastically different unless they have had a complete change of administrative teams so have completely new people dealing with admissions for the entire college, or that they have had much much fewer applications than they normally receive this year which means they can get back to people a lot quicker. Assuming that they haven't lost 90% of their applicants and still have the same staff, then I'm quite happy to say that there is no chance that the majority of people will get an outcome on their application by the end of February. It wouldn't be very good expectation management on my part to tell you that you all will hear by then (and should believe the things Edinburgh say to you about target dates on the phone) when my experiences over the last 6 years on here have led me to conclude otherwise!
(edited 12 years ago)

...maybe I'll stop checking my emails every hour for now then :lol:
Original post by kayleigh.jean

Original post by kayleigh.jean
...maybe I'll stop checking my emails every hour for now then :lol:

Probably for the best!

I know it makes me sound like a skeptical person and a pessimist but there is no point letting you guys build yourselves up for getting replies in the next few weeks when its highly likely (based on trends since 2005) that this won't be the case as otherwise there could be a lot of disappointment when you don't get replies by the end of the month. Obviously I really do want you all to get really quick replies and if Edinburgh do manage to get all of their responses out in the next fortnight then that really would be great as the wait can be horrendous.... but I also want to manage applicant expectations and tell you that from my personal experience of following Edinburgh admissions on TSR that what they're telling you is unlikely to come into reality.

Basically, with Edinburgh its best to prepare yourself to be waiting until the end of play in May (particularly if you've applied for something like medicine, or English lit, or politics/IR) and then if you hear back before then its an added bonus and something exciting! Most schools generally start making a move on decisions in Feb for people who already have their grades so would get an unconditional, with a lot of replies going out in March. For the very popular courses some replies go out in early March but the bulk will happen from late March into early May.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yayayapiolin
Aerospace engineering at LEEDS, SHEFFIELD, LBRO, LIVERPOOL, LEICESTER

Still waiting to hear from LBRO.

I'd say engineering is a pretty popular course. the universities will be waiting till the very last minute to make sure they get a good look at everyone before deciding. Don't worry! I've only heard back from one uni so I know how nerve racking it is lol I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
I have all my offers now but I'm too scared to firm/insure them... my DAd kept on pestering me about Cardiff and he's confused me :frown:
Reply 4018
Conditional from Abertay Dundee arrived yesterday evening. Wohoo. :smile:
Reply 4019
My wait for replies is over. Nearly 4 months of waiting! It's such a relief that I don't have to check track or panic at each email :rolleyes:.

Good luck guys, hope you all get where you want to be. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending