The Student Room Group

Calling all those who are good at Higher History!

:smile: I am getting mainly B's for Higher History but I'm struggling with this particular timed essay and hoped someone could help. The essay is on,what factors led to the acts that lead to britain becoming more democratic? I know there is pressure groups,including the Suffragettes/gists and foreign examples,but I'm unsure quite how to structure it into an essay form. My usual plan has been to make headings of each topic,write about them then talk about for and against of each and put that into an essay.

Can anyone help?

I'm talking about Highers,as this is in the Scottish Qualifications sub section. The time period is 1832-1928.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
bump? :smile:
What time period
Reply 3
Not sure what qualification you're talking about? A Levels?

Didn't the constitutional crisis of 1910 with the liberal elected House of Commons and the Conservative unelected House of Lords have anything to do with it?

It ended in Parliament Act 1911 which reduced significantly the power of the unelected House of Lords. It was a major event which led to Britain being much more democratic.

As for essay structure:

Give a quick introduction eg. There were many reasons why the Liberals won a landslide victory in.........

Then go into some detail about one point and explain each point, each event and the affect it had.

Take it point by point, event by event, paragraph by paragraph, factor by factor.

At the end you can sum it up quickly or you can just leave it at that.

Don't know if that helps...?
I meant what period in history are you studying. At A2 you tend to do a 100 yr period or so. from when till when
In case anyone didn't realize, this is SCOTTISH QUALIFICATIONS...

OP: my essay plan for this last year was as follows:

-intro
-philosophical roots - quotes from Rousseau (man is born free but is everywhere in chains), American Declaration of Independence (inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness), French revolutionaries (liberté, égalité, fraternité), Burns (the rank is but the guinea stamp,/the man's the goud for a' that).
-"a moral right" - talking about Palmerston's death, Gladstone (every man is entitled to come within the pale of the constitution), Disraeli stealing the Liberals' clothes in 1867, etc
-new liberalism - th green arguing against smiles' self-help, arguing for a collectivist role to be played by the state, etc (I talked about Paisley cotton workers' principled stand against the American Confederacy's slavery in 1854 when they agreed to take lower wages so as not to use slaves' cotton, or something like that - not sure if it fits here.)
-prosperity encouraging reform - industrial revolution had created a class of entrepreneurs who wanted the vote to go along with their new riches. railways - once people could travel and saw themselves as men of the world, they wanted more political power.
-suffrage movements - reform union, reform league, nuwss, wspu
-widening role of govt - traditionally the govt had confined itself to war+peace, foreign affairs and royal business, but now it was dealing with issues like working conditions and safety in mines, and minimum standards of safety, signalling and braking in trains. Since the business of the govt increasingly targeted the common man, he should have a say in choosing the govt.
-education - education acts of 1870 and 1872 ensured that the working class became more literate and well-informed on current affairs, and so deserved the vote. eg - the Daily Mail (Faily Mail, Daily Fail, etc :P) became the first "newspaper" (I wouldn't use the inverted commas here in an exam :L) to reach daily circulation of 1 million copies in 1897.
-effect of WW1 - demands of total war (conscription, rationing, loss of family/friends) affected rich + poor equally, encouraging the feeling that everyone should be included in the franchise.
-conclusion

I should note that: 1) I never actually did this essay in any sort of exam, I didn't like it; and 2) the essay plan which I was given by my teacher was written by a rather... eccentric previous head of history who retired a few years ago - it is not necessarily the official version :P. But feel free to look over this and see if it's useful. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by derangedyoshi
In case anyone didn't realize, this is SCOTTISH QUALIFICATIONS...

OP: my essay plan for this last year was as follows:

-intro
-philosophical roots - quotes from Rousseau (man is born free but is everywhere in chains), American Declaration of Independence (inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness), French revolutionaries (liberté, égalité, fraternité), Burns (the rank is but the guinea stamp,/the man's the goud for a' that).
-"a moral right" - talking about Palmerston's death, Gladstone (every man is entitled to come within the pale of the constitution), Disraeli stealing the Liberals' clothes in 1867, etc
-new liberalism - th green arguing against smiles' self-help, arguing for a collectivist role to be played by the state, etc (I talked about Paisley cotton workers' principled stand against the American Confederacy's slavery in 1854 when they agreed to take lower wages so as not to use slaves' cotton, or something like that - not sure if it fits here.)
-prosperity encouraging reform - industrial revolution had created a class of entrepreneurs who wanted the vote to go along with their new riches. railways - once people could travel and saw themselves as men of the world, they wanted more political power.
-suffrage movements - reform union, reform league, nuwss, wspu
-widening role of govt - traditionally the govt had confined itself to war+peace, foreign affairs and royal business, but now it was dealing with issues like working conditions and safety in mines, and minimum standards of safety, signalling and braking in trains. Since the business of the govt increasingly targeted the common man, he should have a say in choosing the govt.
-education - education acts of 1870 and 1872 ensured that the working class became more literate and well-informed on current affairs, and so deserved the vote. eg - the Daily Mail (Faily Mail, Daily Fail, etc :P) became the first "newspaper" (I wouldn't use the inverted commas here in an exam :L) to reach daily circulation of 1 million copies in 1897.
-effect of WW1 - demands of total war (conscription, rationing, loss of family/friends) affected rich + poor equally, encouraging the feeling that everyone should be included in the franchise.
-conclusion

I should note that: 1) I never actually did this essay in any sort of exam, I didn't like it; and 2) the essay plan which I was given by my teacher was written by a rather... eccentric previous head of history who retired a few years ago - it is not necessarily the official version :P. But feel free to look over this and see if it's useful. :smile:

I don't like the democracy section that much either. Some of that was useful yes :smile: I am so used to the for & against system,but I find it hard to apply to this essay :mad:
Original post by OddThings
I don't like the democracy section that much either. Some of that was useful yes :smile: I am so used to the for & against system,but I find it hard to apply to this essay :mad:

The "to what extent" democracy question is easier. And the women essay is by far the best :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by derangedyoshi
The "to what extent" democracy question is easier. And the women essay is by far the best :biggrin:

I just did the 'to what extent' question timed two days ago. I'm looking forward to the women essay. We might also be studying the Crusades instead of Appeasement etc... quite excited!
Woman essay is the easiest because it builds on from what was learned in SG basically. Most of our class passed the NAB with that essay :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by S119234
Woman essay is the easiest because it builds on from what was learned in SG basically. Most of our class passed the NAB with that essay :smile:

True :smile: Can you help me with this essay at all?
I didn't like the women essay :L I had a reason, but I've forgotten it now. I preferred the 'how democratic was Britain by...' - I actually wrote my extended essay on that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending