The Student Room Group

Sikhs riot over meat and alcohol at Cultural Centre

Scroll to see replies

Original post by f1mad
You come to that conclusion, even though the source is The Sun?

Niceone.

Well the article mentions angry violent religious nutcases. I assume the event was not a complete work of fiction. I simply added them to the list of those I feel need waking up.

I'm sick of religious people flaunting their rubbish. I'm simply intolerant of those who waste time.
Reply 41
Original post by Einheri
Ugh, if you want to live under the strange religious and cultural norms of your homeland . . . then **** off back there.

Then bring back all Caucasians that reside in other countries that are not majority Caucasian! :rolleyes:

Sikhs were praised by the country and PM David Cameron when the people were rioting and looting as they were protecting shops and Religious places, and here they try to preserve a centre used for sin-ful use and they are seen as extremists etc etc.
Reply 42
Original post by Omar.Ebrahim
Wow, you can read. Nice to know Labour's education system worked out well for you.

I'm half Arab, half British. I'm Muslim. English mum, Egyptian dad. I call myself British.

Although nobody's truly English, are they? The language is a mix of German, French and Latin, et al. 'English' people are descendents from Germans, the French, the Russians, Jews etc.

Go look up your family tree.

We are all descendents of a completly different species of primate. So noone is truly any nationality, the only plausible one is we are all African. So please, don't claim that people cant be 'British' but its acceptable to be French, German or whatever else you listed, even jews? Thats a new nationality to me...
Reply 43
Original post by boobooboob
Shut up about it being in the sun honestly you naive idiot this happened everything in the article is a fact

http://www.theasiantoday.com/article.aspx?articleId=2621
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8544741/Sikhs-trash-own-community-centre-for-selling-alcohol.html

Stop disputing things in newspapers you don't like simply because it doesn't fit in with your lovey dovey view of a religion/culture.

The Sun has built up a reputation of spouting rubbish, so what's wrong with questioning the source?

I'm not even religious, so not sure where that bolded statement came from. Also, why so serious? No need to get upset over a forum mate.

not all sikhs come from india, thats like me insulting the royal family by making german jokes.

a lot of british seeks actually come from africa aswell as pakistan
Reply 45
Original post by Snagprophet
Well the article mentions angry violent religious nutcases. I assume the event was not a complete work of fiction. I simply added them to the list of those I feel need waking up.

I'm sick of religious people flaunting their rubbish. I'm simply intolerant of those who waste time.

I'm not suggesting the event was a work of fiction, but what I am saying is study various sources before coming to a real conclusion.
Oh come on, even the Daily Mail's more credible than The Sun :rolleyes:
Shut up slum dog.

mate dont call me slumdog the vast majority of indians can probably buy the whole of england. oh S**T they have, maybe your landlords from india
Reply 48
You're right sorry for being rude, but you must be the 10th person to say this articles rubbish because its from the sun.

I never totally classed it as "rubbish", rather I suggested to be wary about the source. What's wrong with that?
Reply 49
Haters, Sikhism is up contending with Islam as the most honourable religion.

Flawless value code. This community centre brought it upon itself.

People will never smear Sikhism, though they can try.
Original post by ypo
I feel like I'm not getting the full story here. Sikhs, especially those in the West, are not known for their violence or threatening behaviour (unlike another certain group). In fact Sikhs tend to be very well-to do, educated, culturally assimilated types - I see many more soft-spoken Sikh lawyers, investment bankers or local-Dr-Singh-GP-types, than ranting and raving lunatics. Go figure.

And what group is that?
Come on slum dog

Stop kidding yourself. The vast majority of Indians hope to get through the afternoon without getting diarrhoea let alone own a property.

what are you on about. why is it that asians own so many german cars in this country, so many doctors are asian this list can continue mate

whereas whites can just about pay for holidays they have to buy the sun for cheap £10 caravan get aways
Reply 52
Its not a flipping riot! It's so exaggerated and unless you are from the sikh community or know a lot about it you won't understand that sikhs are 'not supposed to eat meat or drink alcohol'. They were protesting becuase the temple funds the community centre and they shouldn't have to fund something that goes against their religion.

(going off topic a bit) To all you ignorant people that have something negative to say about the sikh community, I just want to say that in my opinion sikhism is a very respected religion, however people know little of this religion becuase they don't really teach it in schools and so they confuse sikhs with muslims and crack their 'paki' and turban jokes when they don't realise that if it wasnt for sikhs, that sacrificed their life for Britian in wars, then this country would be speaking German or Japanese!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
To all the racists, Britian is a multicultural country because it was people from all over the world, not just english people, that helped fight for this country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_J2ZphWlFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBwHUU9OfHU
Original post by sb123303
Its not a flipping riot! It's so exaggerated and unless you are from the sikh community or know a lot about it you won't understand that sikhs are 'not supposed to eat meat or drink alcohol'. They were protesting becuase the temple funds the community centre and they shouldn't have to fund something that goes against their religion.

(going off topic a bit) To all you ignorant people that have something negative to say about the sikh community, I just want to say that in my opinion sikhism is a very respected religion, however people know little of this religion becuase they don't really teach it in schools and so they confuse sikhs with muslims and crack their 'paki' and turban jokes when they don't realise that if it wasnt for sikhs, that sacrificed their life for Britian in wars, then this country would be speaking German or Japanese!

Well said! Though dnt let it get to you. These type of conversations will carry on happening forever!
Reply 55
Original post by The Stig
I could understand this trail of thought if they were up demonstrating and trashing the local Tesco for serving alcohol and meat. They are not. They are up in arms about a centre set up for the religion of Sikhism, set up by Sikhs (although clearly not very good ones) and funded by the Sikh community selling / serving alcohol and meat, something which is strictly prohibited by the Sikh religion - hardly surprising it caused a stir.

They are perfectly within their rights and the cultural norms of this country (this continent, in fact) to sell meat and alcohol. Rioting because of this is nothing more than an attempt to impose their alien norms and religious sensibilites.
Reply 56
Original post by sb123303
they don't realise that if it wasnt for sikhs, that sacrificed their life for Britian in wars, then this country would be speaking German or Japanese!

Oh please STFU.

Do you know the proportion that Sikhs made up in the British armed forces in the world wars? This really, really bugs me. People like you spout this line like Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims or whomever is single handly forgiven all because they fought with us years ago. Well newsflash, so did Muslims, I'll still criticise them, so did Hindus, I'll still criticise them, hell, so did Russia, I'll still criticise them.

And to behonest, I don't give a damn what you delusion requires of you, it's not an excuse to break the law. My tax funds faith schools, and allows certain councils to give prefferential treatment to poeople of certain faiths. I am on every level against this, does that mean it's ok for me to go and smash up a religious site? Certainly not1 No matter how much I would like to. Delusion and dogma are never an excuse to break the law and act like savages. I would have thought India circa 1940-1950 would have taught all of you Sikhs, Muslims and Hindus that, but sadly, no such luck.
Original post by Omar.Ebrahim
Wow, you can read. Nice to know Labour's education system worked out well for you.

I'm half Arab, half British. I'm Muslim. English mum, Egyptian dad. I call myself British.

Although nobody's truly English, are they? The language is a mix of German, French and Latin, et al. 'English' people are descendents from Germans, the French, the Russians, Jews etc.

Go look up your family tree.

Hey!

Every culture is a mixture of others, but don't deny me my heritage, that's just rude. 'Multiculturalism' is a mixture of ALL cultures, including British.

(Btw, I'm all for multiculturalism, and I couldn't care less if you were half alien, in fact I'm quite jealous you get two sets of heritage :biggrin:. I just don't like it when people try to dismantle 'English', because that's like saying I don't belong anywhere.)
Reply 58
Original post by USB
If it is indeed true (it is the Sun after all), then they've let down the whole Sikh community. :frown:

They should be punished.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by meenu89

Original post by meenu89
They should be punished.

As you have a sikh background - why?

Tbh, the last time I was in my local gurdwara, there were a few notices up about a few gurdwaras around the country that permitted meat and alcohol. They had been sent letters, phone calls, people visiting them etc etc etc, nothing happened. Go ahead and eat it at home, out anywhere but don't bring it into a place that it really shouldn't be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending