The Student Room Group

Worst ib start

So, I started the IB in August and have honestly had such a bad start.
My grades have been ranging between, 2-6. Which is extremely disappointing, and just embarrassing!

Does anyone have any advise for me to literally turn my grades around?

Will these grades for the first quarter affect my predicted grades and in-turn affect me from getting into a decent university to study Law?

I am on half term now, and am spending it doing 25 hours of CAS, and revising ahead.

ADVISE IS MUCH NEEDED! Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm not sure over which period you are taking IB, but in my country it's two years. We send in our applications with predicted grades from second winter, and then our results in July gets us the spot, I think.

To get better grades, the only advise I can give you, besides studying hard, is to realise that IB is has a criteria based assessment, which means that to get good grades, your answers have to hit these sweet spots that will earn you points.
In the start of IB my grades ranged from 3-5 for each subject, but that's only because coursework was not done yet and most of the syllabus was not covered. Don't worry about that too much, your grades would automatically improve overtime as you learn more about the subjects. In my school, only the predicted grades are sent to universities, those are set by teachers in Year 13 and are not much dependent on the grades in Year 12. My predicted grades are now significantly better than the grades I got in the beginning of Year 12, so I guess a similar scenario would apply to you too.
Reply 3
Original post by The 31st
I'm not sure over which period you are taking IB, but in my country it's two years. We send in our applications with predicted grades from second winter, and then our results in July gets us the spot, I think.

To get better grades, the only advise I can give you, besides studying hard, is to realise that IB is has a criteria based assessment, which means that to get good grades, your answers have to hit these sweet spots that will earn you points.

Same here. I was just wondering if these grades will affect my predicted grades next year, the ones sent to universities?
I had an average of 4-5 in my two years of IB but still had a predicted score of 42 and ended up getting 43. Just chill and try your best, the internal assessments will pull your grades up. And get into your teachers' good books.
Reply 5
Original post by sallyanne
Same here. I was just wondering if these grades will affect my predicted grades next year, the ones sent to universities?

Probably not so much, if you're able to turn it around. My predicted grades were largely based on the mock exams at the end of my first IB year.
Reply 6
If you perform to the standard of a 6 in the end of the semester before christmas holidays you'll probably get your predicted grades around 6. Your grades now will have very little to say, as you're growing increadibly much over the course of the first year. You'll be rooting out mistakes with every mock exam\test\coursework. In the end you'll be much better off. I was getting scores for 2-3 in almost all my math tests in the beginning, but still managed to get a 7 in the end.

Just work consistently. Even though you're not getting the immediate results you want, you still pick up a lot of knowledge that will be arranged into useful knowledge in the period right before the exams, when you'll be grinding through former exam papers.
Reply 7
My current grades of 2-5's will not be sent to the IB will it?
They are still so bad, my average of all subjects is about a 4. I honestly have no idea why!
My current grades of 2-5's will not be sent to the IB will it?
They are still so bad, my average of all subjects is about a 4. I honestly have no idea why!

A lot of people start off in your situation, really nothing to worry about. Your grades at the moment won't be sent off to the IB, they don't do that until 2nd year (I think!). One of my teachers said you go up at least 1 or 2 grades in every subject from when you start to your final results, which I found to be true.
Reply 9
Also, how can I ensure i actually get better grades? i hate the grades i am getting, and i know i can do so much better
Reply 10
Also, how can I ensure i actually get better grades? i hate the grades i am getting, and i know i can do so much better

Study, read the syllabus/criteria before you do an assignment. For tests, in my experience, don't study the books you've been given, just look at the syllabus and find answers to each point using the books.
i hate the grades i'm getting but don't worry to those who feel the same

It's good that we've noticed it early :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending