The Student Room Group

Choosing a University to Study Mathematics

In total there are just under 70 universities that do a mathematics degree. However, as there is plenty of choice I am struggling to narrow down my choices. From the initial set of 70 I managed to cancel down my choices to 38 based on location and grades. Once doing further research on each of these 38 universities, I narrowed my choices down to 18.

When researching about each of these 18 universities, they all market themselves as a good university. The majority of them state that 90% of their students gain employment after graduation, which is stated as incorrect by many other websites. I have looked at the rankings from the guardian and the complete university guide, but for many universities the data is so contradicting. For example, based on the guardian Central Lancashire is 5th in the country for maths, one of the best in the country, but based on TCUG it is a lowly 62nd, one of the worst in the country.

I've considered location, grades, crime and the university itself when filtering through my choices. However, all of a sudden I am facing difficulty to get the list shorter. What sort of other things should I base my choices around? How can I tell the true value of a universities degree? I need advice in order to narrow my choices. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Look at the modules, you're going to get rid of the majority when you decide whether you want a largely pure, statistical or mechanical course.
Original post by Azzza
In total there are just under 70 universities that do a mathematics degree. However, as there is plenty of choice I am struggling to narrow down my choices. From the initial set of 70 I managed to cancel down my choices to 38 based on location and grades. Once doing further research on each of these 38 universities, I narrowed my choices down to 18.

When researching about each of these 18 universities, they all market themselves as a good university. The majority of them state that 90% of their students gain employment after graduation, which is stated as incorrect by many other websites. I have looked at the rankings from the guardian and the complete university guide, but for many universities the data is so contradicting. For example, based on the guardian Central Lancashire is 5th in the country for maths, one of the best in the country, but based on TCUG it is a lowly 62nd, one of the worst in the country.

I've considered location, grades, crime and the university itself when filtering through my choices. However, all of a sudden I am facing difficulty to get the list shorter. What sort of other things should I base my choices around? How can I tell the true value of a universities degree? I need advice in order to narrow my choices. Any help/advice is appreciated.

First thing: never look at the guardian league table ever again. It is literally the worst thing ever - especially the maths rankings.

Second: What are you predictions and AS Level results; then I can try suggest some sensible unis. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by hassi94
First thing: never look at the guardian league table ever again. It is literally the worst thing ever - especially the maths rankings.

What league table do you recommend? I've always used Guardian.
Reply 4
Original post by hassi94

Second: What are you predictions and AS Level results; then I can try suggest some sensible unis. :smile:

Hey! I'm in the same position but as I didn't do further maths, are there any unis you could suggest to me aswell? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hassi94

Ok thanks for that advice, I will bear it in mind.

My AS level results were ABD, but with a retake Im condifent of getting the D to a B. In terms of A2, I feel that I can achieve ABC which could be an A*AB if I push myself. My predicted grades are ABB.
Reply 6
Original post by Azzza

any preference for campus or city based?
look at unistats for degree class and employment etc?
you could look at group membership (many here take this extremely seriously :rolleyes:) i.e russell group are generally large and longer established unis.
Reply 7
I aren't too fussed about being based in a city, although I feel that if I was to be based in a smaller area such as a coastal town then it would need to be fairly unique. Most of the universities on my shortlist are city based, with the likes of Aberystwyth and a couple others not being city based.

I will take a look at those sites, thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by Evil Monkey
Look at the modules, you're going to get rid of the majority when you decide whether you want a largely pure, statistical or mechanical course.

Seriously do this, when I was looking for Universities for Maths I had like 30 to choose from but when I researched how much Stats, Pure and Applied they did I could narrow it down to 8 :smile:
Original post by adam271
What league table do you recommend? I've always used Guardian.

Well I wouldn't really recommend relying on any of them. Most give a nice general image but you can't categorically say one university is better than the one below that in rankings. I think the lesser of a few evils is the Complete University Guide rankings. They aren't bad :smile: If you look at the Maths rankings for Guardian it says that Central Lancashire, Lancaster and Northumbria are better than Imperial, UCL, Bath, Bristol, Durham and more for maths. It's just plainly not true.

Original post by Aileena
Hey! I'm in the same position but as I didn't do further maths, are there any unis you could suggest to me aswell? :smile:

Did you not do further maths out of choice or did your 6th form not offer it? It is late now but have you considered doing the Further Maths AS in Year 13? :smile: Also what are your predictions?

Original post by Azzza

My AS level results were ABD, but with a retake Im condifent of getting the D to a B. In terms of A2, I feel that I can achieve ABC which could be an A*AB if I push myself. My predicted grades are ABB.

Do your subjects include further maths?

If not consider:

Kent
Sussex
Lancaster
Newcastle
Sheffield

If so there are some like Manchester and York.

Though if you feel you can possibly get A*AB or even A*AA then it might be worth taking a year out and applying after you get your grades. Still apply this year but if you do better than expected then consider trying again maybe?
Reply 10
Original post by hassi94
Did you not do further maths out of choice or did your 6th form not offer it? It is late now but have you considered doing the Further Maths AS in Year 13? :smile: Also what are your predictions?

Out of choice, as I thought I wouldn't be good enough for it! And I didn't know that I wanted to do it as a degree until now :frown: I did ask my head of maths if I could take up further maths but he said it was too late to in year 13!

My predictions are AAA in maths, chemistry and economics.
Reply 11
Original post by Azzza

Hi, did you do a fourth AS, some unis want a fourth AS even if you got an E in it, e.g.UCL

If you haven't got a fourth AS, I would suggest you take up F.Maths AS now!, privately if not in school.

You can take the easy options if you want, - FP1, and then two from M1,S1,M2,S2,D1,D2

With FP1 being the most important for Mathematics Degree.
Original post by Aileena
Out of choice, as I thought I wouldn't be good enough for it! And I didn't know that I wanted to do it as a degree until now :frown: I did ask my head of maths if I could take up further maths but he said it was too late to in year 13!

My predictions are AAA in maths, chemistry and economics.

Nottingham
Sussex
Lancaster
Sheffield
Manchester
York
St. Andrews

Kings College London if you want to try push for an A* in Maths - but that's a risky one if you have AAA predictions.

But yeah those are a few good universities - look up the courses and see what you like.
Reply 13
Original post by hassi94
Nottingham
Sussex
Lancaster
Sheffield
Manchester
York
St. Andrews

Kings College London if you want to try push for an A* in Maths - but that's a risky one if you have AAA predictions.

But yeah those are a few good universities - look up the courses and see what you like.

Thankyou :smile: But I swear I looked at Sussex before and it said further maths was a requirement! Plus practically all of them are AAA so do you think I should just pick 1 or 2 of them, and have the 3 options left over as back-up unis?
Reply 14
Southampton don't require FM, that's AAA
Original post by Aileena
Thankyou :smile: But I swear I looked at Sussex before and it said further maths was a requirement! Plus practically all of them are AAA so do you think I should just pick 1 or 2 of them, and have the 3 options left over as back-up unis?

Naa sussex doesn't even mention Further Maths in its entry requirements - though they'll probably lower their offer if it's present.

Nottingham and Sussex are AAA/AAB. Lancaster and Sheffield are AAB as far as I'm aware. York, Manchester and St. Andrews are AAA yes :smile:

Well honestly I don't personally believe in back-up unis - because for me I wouldn't want to go somewhere worse if I'm capable of better. I know it's a childish attitude but oh well.

Though yes sensibly you should perhaps do 2 AAAs (one being an A*AA if you're feeling lucky) and then 3 AAB-ABBs. I'm not too sure on many good unis with ABB requirements for maths. Kent requires ABC and is good though (must be AB with A in maths and then add up to 300 points).
Reply 16
Original post by hassi94
Naa sussex doesn't even mention Further Maths in its entry requirements - though they'll probably lower their offer if it's present.

Nottingham and Sussex are AAA/AAB. Lancaster and Sheffield are AAB as far as I'm aware. York, Manchester and St. Andrews are AAA yes :smile:

Well honestly I don't personally believe in back-up unis - because for me I wouldn't want to go somewhere worse if I'm capable of better. I know it's a childish attitude but oh well.

Though yes sensibly you should perhaps do 2 AAAs (one being an A*AA if you're feeling lucky) and then 3 AAB-ABBs. I'm not too sure on many good unis with ABB requirements for maths. Kent requires ABC and is good though (must be AB with A in maths and then add up to 300 points).

Went on their site:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2012/1664/24784#tabs-3

says:

Typical offer: AAA

Specific entry requirements: A levels must include both Mathematics and Further Mathematics, grade A.

so yeah, im guessing i need further maths? Sheffield is also AAA now :P the thing is i need to stay nearer south or less than 2/3 hours away as my family want me closer to home, so I can't really go for St. Andrews and unis that far away! :mad: Not allowed a gap year (parents, again) so thats why I don't wanna stay at home e.g studying at Kent. That's why its so hard :/

Yeah sounds like a good idea, thanks :biggrin:
Original post by Aileena
Went on their site:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/2012/1664/24784#tabs-3

says:

Typical offer: AAA

Specific entry requirements: A levels must include both Mathematics and Further Mathematics, grade A.

so yeah, im guessing i need further maths? Sheffield is also AAA now :P the thing is i need to stay nearer south or less than 2/3 hours away as my family want me closer to home, so I can't really go for St. Andrews and unis that far away! :mad: Not allowed a gap year (parents, again) so thats why I don't wanna stay at home e.g studying at Kent. That's why its so hard :/

Yeah sounds like a good idea, thanks :biggrin:

Ahh I was looking at the BSc, not the MMath. But at 99% of universities it doesn't actually matter whether you go to the BSc or MMath, because either way you are allowed to carry on to the 4th year only if you get a certain percentage in the first 2 years (usually between 55-60, but some are more strict like Cambridge where it's more like 75-80). Try ringing Sussex and asking. Also Sheffield BSc is AAB :smile:
Apply to King's. It's awesome. (I'm not biased or anything, I promise. :biggrin:)

On a serious note, do your research, I had my heart set on Imperial from Year 12 and then I visted King's and I just really loved it and Imperial ended up rejecting me anyway because I didn't have Further Maths A2. Queen Mary is also meant to have a really strong Maths department and I think they require AAB so not too bad... If you're looking for the top names for Maths though (after Oxbridge) it's probably Warwick, Imperial and UCL...
Reply 19
Original post by RVNmax
Hi, did you do a fourth AS, some unis want a fourth AS even if you got an E in it, e.g.UCL

If you haven't got a fourth AS, I would suggest you take up F.Maths AS now!, privately if not in school.

You can take the easy options if you want, - FP1, and then two from M1,S1,M2,S2,D1,D2

With FP1 being the most important for Mathematics Degree.

Yes I have a 4th AS which is an A in applied science. I think taking up AS Further Maths may be beneficial but it could be complicated, as since the exam deadline has already passed for applying for January exams (in my college anyway). I know it would be an added workload, but it would only be beneficial towards my degree so I will certainly speak to somebody at college about the possibility of AS Further Maths. Thanks for the advice.

Having began to compare the different types of course I have come to a conclusion that I would prefer to go to a university that has the MMath degree. Therefore, my list has been shortened to 15. However, most of the universities require AAA, with few at AAB and one (Liverpool) at ABB. It is definitely time to put in the extra hours!

Quick Reply

Latest