The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Any Politics/Parliamentary Studies current students out there?

Hey there, I'll be applying for Politics and Parliamentary Studies at Leeds for 2012 entry, required grades are AAB, I'm predicted A*A*A in Politics/History/Economics at A2 and I've got a C in Biology at AS cashed in. Looks like such an amazing course, the year out in Westminster/Washington sounds like an awesome opportunity.

Just wondered if there were any current students or students who've graduated from the course who could give me some advice. I'm looking at Durham, Exeter, Bristol and maybe Kings College as my other options for straight Politics(International Politics at KCL) If I get all 5 offers (very unlikely), I have no idea how I'd distinguish between an amazing opportunity with this degree at Leeds, and an established institution like Durham. The work experience on my CV would be amazing, but would Durham be a better choice due to the nature of the uni?

Also, who is the 3rd year funded by? Do they give financial support if you do go to Washington? Also what is the interview process like, if I'm fortunate enough to get one I'd hate to go in blind!

Thanks very much.

Scroll to see replies

I left a few years ago, but I'll try to answer the questions as best I can.

I decided that I wanted to do PPS over anything else, and so that answered that question. I have found that the work experience has been very useful in my life post-Leeds. In fact, I suspect that I would have found things more difficult without that 'edge'. Leeds is a good uni, and has a good politics department - I'm not sure that Durham is known to be particularly amazing for politics actually. But ultimately that decision is entirely up to you. I'm pleased that I did PPS!

Technically, you are still a Leeds student for the whole third year. I had a larger student loan for my third year, because I was living in London, so I got about an extra £1000 for the year. However, the placement year is quite expensive, especially if you need to rent in London, as rent is more expensive than it is in Leeds. The uni may have financial support available though, you'd have to check that.

My interview was mostly a conversation about the things that I'd studied in politics at school. But the interviewer will be different now, as the guy who interviewed me has left.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply! I'm excited to see whether I'll get an offer. Did you enjoy the year placement? Who did you work for? I can't tell whether I'd get frustrated that I was effectively working for free! Did they write you a reference? What are you doing now? Hehe so many questions :smile:
I'd interned before, and I interned again - not unusual to get a job these days, sadly - so working for free didn't really frustrate me. Besides, you're effectively a student for the year, so it's not quite the same.

I loved the year placement. Both Parliament and Congress are really fun and exciting places to work. It's great just being able to wonder around them or give other people a tour. The work was mostly interesting, although obviously there was filing and photocopying and things too. But then there were other exciting things, like seeing the Queen come into Parliament for the Queen's speech, watching PMQs, seeing Obama, seeing Hilary Clinton, that kind of thing. Basically, it was a really amazing year.

I worked for Jonathan Djanogly in Parliament, and Marcy Kaptur in Congress. I can't remember if I ever asked either of the offices for a reference, but I'm sure they would have given me one if I asked for one. After Leeds I went to do a two year MPhil at Oxford. I then went back and worked in Parliament for a while, for another MP, and now I work for a public affairs company. The people who did PPS are all doing interesting things.
Reply 4
That does sound fantastic. I just can't decide between Leeds PPS and Baths Pol/IR with a sandwich year. I suppose either way I'll end up working at the House of Commons.. and Bath is ranked a little higher and is easier to get into. I cant decide!
Reply 5
Original post by Little Jules
I'd interned before, and I interned again - not unusual to get a job these days, sadly - so working for free didn't really frustrate me. Besides, you're effectively a student for the year, so it's not quite the same.

I loved the year placement. Both Parliament and Congress are really fun and exciting places to work. It's great just being able to wonder around them or give other people a tour. The work was mostly interesting, although obviously there was filing and photocopying and things too. But then there were other exciting things, like seeing the Queen come into Parliament for the Queen's speech, watching PMQs, seeing Obama, seeing Hilary Clinton, that kind of thing. Basically, it was a really amazing year.

I worked for Jonathan Djanogly in Parliament, and Marcy Kaptur in Congress. I can't remember if I ever asked either of the offices for a reference, but I'm sure they would have given me one if I asked for one. After Leeds I went to do a two year MPhil at Oxford. I then went back and worked in Parliament for a while, for another MP, and now I work for a public affairs company. The people who did PPS are all doing interesting things.

Hi i'm applying to do PPS at Leeds aswell, so I have a few questions to ask you if that is okay :smile:

Which did you prefer, working for Parliament or Congress and why?

How would describe the teaching and seminar group sizes in the politics department?

What
Original post by faithxfaye
Hi i'm applying to do PPS at Leeds aswell, so I have a few questions to ask you if that is okay :smile:

Which did you prefer, working for Parliament or Congress and why?

How would describe the teaching and seminar group sizes in the politics department?

What

They were just different. I like the British political system more, but being in the US was really exciting. Offices in the US are much larger, so you can get more responsibility in the UK. But PPS involves doing both so you should be able to try both!

The seminar sizes varied, I think from 8-20. Lectures were obviously bigger.
I am so excited about applying for this course! I'm predicted A*AB and I'm very strong in extracurricular stuff, manly politically based. I have work experience in Parliament too - do you think that'll help or is it really based on interview?
Reply 8
When do the interviews take place?
Reply 9
Has anyone got an email about the course and how the interview selections will take place jan/feb time?
Yes I got a confirmation email AGES ago detailing that interviews wouldnt be offered until jan/feb :'( so worried, I dont want to wait that long!! But theres still a chance of going onto the straight Politics course which is good :smile:
If you get rejected for this there's a fair chance of getting offered a place on straight Politics and you can always do the Masters version of this course instead, it doesn't have an overseas placement in it but it has the Westminster one and possibly the Westminster one might be more involved on the MA. Either way there are still opportunities.
I applied, haven't even got an acknowledgement yet <_<
Reply 13
Got my acknowledgement a week after applying. Been 18 days now :smile: But got Exeter/Birmingham, just waiting on Bristol Durham and Leeds!
Reply 14
Anyone heard anything?
Reply 15
Original post by harrisonJT
Anyone heard anything?

No not yet, what about you?
Reply 16
No not yet, what about you?

Nothing since the confirmation. You'd think they'd have to send out emails about interviews soon!
Reply 17
Nothing since the confirmation. You'd think they'd have to send out emails about interviews soon!

Yeah you're right, so I can start preparing for the interview and stuff!
Reply 18
Yeah you're right, so I can start preparing for the interview and stuff!

Let me know if you hear anything! SURELY it has to be in the next week or two?
Reply 19
Let me know if you hear anything! SURELY it has to be in the next week or two?

I think people who have applied for the straight politics course already have offers, correct me if I'm wrong! Yeah soon they got to!

Quick Reply

Latest