The Student Room Group

Journalism at University or NCTJ Course?

At the current time, I have applied for five Universities (Sheffield, Leeds Trinity/Leeds, Huddersfield and Staffordshire) I am still awaiting a reply from either of them. One of my tutors who was a former journalist told me of the NCTJ course in Sheffield which interested me a lot, by getting this qualification, it can mean a direct entry into local newspapers which interests me aswell. Its only for a year and you have to pay around £700 for the year’s work and exams.

But I am undecided whether a career in Journalism should be this NCTJ course or three years at Uni. My teacher said that Uni features a more broader aspect of Journalism and you look at different areas while NCTJ, its just about the basics. So what would be the best option for this? Uni/NCTJ?

Also, is there a possibility that someone could get rejected from all five options? I mean, if there’s a course for 20 spaces and loads of people apply, is there a chance of being turned down for all five? And how long is it before you get replies?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
Reply 1
My recommendation would be to do a University course. Check to see if the course at the university is accredited by the NCTJ. If it is then you should be able to take the NCTJ exams and hence (hopefully) gain the NCTJ qualifications if not in all but some of the modules whilst studying for your degree.

Most universities incorporate the NCTJ modules in the first year. I am a Sports Journalism student at Staffs and although my course is not (yet) accredited (Journalism and Broadcast Journalism are) we are still able to take the modules. For example I have just taken Law Part II and will be taking Shorthand in the summer. If you pass these you get these as a separate qualification to your degree.

Hope this Helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending