The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Restricted exam papers - I can't get a copy of the exam?!

I sat 2 exams at the beginning week. Beforehand I had bought exam papers for the previous x years. However, when I went to download the exam papers I had sat I couldn't. On phoning the OU I was told they were restricted and I wouldn't be able to. When I asked why they couldn't give me an explanation.

What is that about?!
Reply 1
which course?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
S377 and SD329
Reply 3
Don't think they release the exam papers until marking has been completed, at least.. I could be completely wrong though :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by alawhisp
Don't think they release the exam papers until marking has been completed, at least.. I could be completely wrong though :smile:

Nope! I did S320 and S204 last year - the papers were available for download after 48hrs. The invigilator mentioned it this week when we were leaving the exam too.

Mystery still remains!
Reply 5
Some exam papers aren't released - they say it's for "academic or copyright reasons". My DD202 last year was restricted. But if you wait until next year you can buy a copy through the shop.
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
But if you wait until next year you can buy a copy through the shop.

That's what I think is weird. I sat the exam yet can't see the paper, but next year I'll be able to buy it. You'd think they'd throw it in with the course fees!
Reply 7
The only reason I could see for it is if somebody somewhere hasn't done the exam yet - but they tend to restrict the same subjects each year so that can't be the reason. Or if it had a lenghty extract from somewhere (like a book) and they didn't want to give people free access to that, but this didn't apply to DD202 last year.

They must have some reason for doing it, and it can't really be financial because they sell papers for £2 or so and thus can't make much.

But then you don't need the exam paper afterwards - if you look too much you'll end up torturing yourself because you forgot to add something, or maybe should have done a different question. Just put it out of your head and move on.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno

But then you don't need the exam paper afterwards - if you look too much you'll end up torturing yourself because you forgot to add something, or maybe should have done a different question. Just put it out of your head and move on.

I put in a formal complaint about one of the papers so it would be useful to have a copy
Maybe there are students that take the exam on different dates. Possibly in some sort of partner college abroad. Ask if it will be available eventually?

Was there anything on the exam that could be copyrighted (e.g. an article, a section of a book).

The other possibility, although odd, is that the same exam is used again later on in the year.
Reply 10
From the exam papers FAQ.
My search did not find any papers for my course code why is that?

The papers for certain courses remain ‘restricted’. Sometimes they contain copyrighted material that cannot be released outside the exam room and sometimes the format is such that the material could be used again in an examination setting, like multiple choice questions.

Sometimes your course may not have been examined before. In those cases, check the course materials for your specimen exam paper which may also contain a model answer.

http://www.open.ac.uk/skillsforstudy/finding-out-about-the-exam-paper.php

Quick Reply

Latest