The Student Room Group

Working at Schuh?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
thanks that really helped! the interview itself isnt at the Schuh store because it only opens up in December haha!
neither was mine :smile:
it was my first time ever in a job centre, i didnt kno it was so nice in there lool
Reply 22
did you get the job yeah? and if so how long have you worked there?:smile:
i did get the job :smile:
the shop doesnt open till mid november, so i have my induction next weekend :smile:
Reply 24
ooooh well done:smile: let me know how it goes! whereabouts is the shop opening?:smile:
thank you :smile: guildford. wheres urs?
You dont need to take anything to the interview, unless they tell you otherwise lol

I think the red hair will show ur personality :smile:
Reply 27
oh well thats good then haha!:smile:
Reply 28
Original post by MissUniversity
You dont need to take anything to the interview, unless they tell you otherwise lol

I think the red hair will show ur personality :smile:

do you mind if i ask you what type of questions they asked you?
ive already got planned what i want to say, it's just whether or not they'll ask me lol!
Because it was a group interview they didnt ask any direct one on one questions.
It was just group activities about customer service really ..
Reply 30
hmm i thought that, i didn't see how they could ask questions if it was in a group haha!
If youre thinking of working there... heres some truth that might make you think differently

I currently work at a schuh store.by working there you literally throw away your dignity.. personally I wouldnt work there if you havent been in that certain environment before. Either way.. from my perspective , their training is ****.. they only train full timers " properly " as even with their high priced shoes they dont like to spend on training ,to the rest of the part timers theyre like... hey its your first day of work.. 3-4 min tour round the store and stock room.. and off you go. Also , youre timed.. you must take a minimun of 2 mins on your way to the stock room which is IMPOSSIBLE unless you have done shifts before...obviously you cant stay down there for like 10 minutes.. but youd be aware of the fact that its too long and if you were in the buyers position you wouldnt want to wait that long either.. the stock rooms are pretty big.. some stores have ones in the floor above and below. Being a " striker " is probably the most annoying thing .. its a simple procedure however the managers from my perspective have no idea of the actual procedure..and just tell you to do different things.. so you think youre doing the right thing and you get told off. I find the procedure when serving the customers is rather OTT ... obviously you have to be nice and pleasant to the customers , but following them around whilst theyre trying the shoes and looking at the mirror is rather awkward.. as I believe that not only does it give the impression that you think they might run away with the shoes , the person doesnt really need someone asking them of their day , why they need those shoes.. etc UNLESS THEY ASK FOR YOUR OPINION or they speak to you... clearly in scenarios like asking wether it fits well or if they need a bigger size or a different style thats APPROPIATE. For the ammount you get paid £6.50-£6.90 per hour as a sales adviser.. id say its NOT worth it... even jobs as a cashier from sainsburys or tesco pay you alot more and treat you alot nicer .. not like youre a slave monitored by time. The majority of my friends work at tescos on the weekends and they earn literally £9.90 an hour.. and i work alot more and earn less than they do. One thing Ive got to say.. the part timers there are ever so nice and are good friends of mine .. which makes me feel sad as this is my 5th month in that company and Im planning to leave for good. When i went to the interview.. i was rather excited about it .. they portrayed the company as something great.. you get there.. and its alot different. You have 3 assesments .. in which you must get 80% and over.. i got mine like 2 weeks after i started which I thought was reasonable.. but some colleages got theirs on the 1ST DAY. I thought that was pretty horrible... how on earth are you supposed to be motivated on a new job.. when the first day they assess you? clearly you're not going to do very well... and whats even more humiliating for the colleagues that had that , theres a board in which they put everyones score there and theirs were the only 2 that were there ON THE FIRST DAY of the store opening.. they got between 30-40% .. also everyone can see that board. ( from my perspective the manager didnt like them , no idea why as theyre both really lovely people ) They ask you for additional shifts, you do them till your shift ends but they then ask you to stay longer.. in my case I can't as I have to pick my brother up .. and some get rather funny even after explaining its not possible. They look at the ammount of shoes you sell.. they expect you to sell 3 pairs of shoes for every hour you work... unreasonable if you happen to not work on a peak day... once again those sales are printed for each worker and put out for everyone to look at. For me is all too much , my manager is litterally a ....... ( not all managers at schuh stores are like that i know , however they are in some) , focus on school!! ( you dont want to work there for the rest of your teen years.. possibly longer.. especially if you want to work your way up their hierarchy ..even as a manager in these bad economic conditions you get paid like roughly 21k a year? .. i guess its an easy way for them to earn money as most of the time they spend it eating food at their office , and chilling around the store.. and if a customers approaches them they pass it on to you.. because you know even though theres 3 of them actually in the store floor.. how could they possibly run to get those shoes.. too exhausting because even they wouldnt be able to do it in 2 minutes ) if youre looking for a part time job.. look at other companies like matalan , new look , tesco.
Reply 32
Hi i have an interview at SCHUH this week. Quite nervous but can someone who has worked at schuh or had an interview tell me what to wear and what to expect. also if they ask you to sell as shoe how are you meant to do this?
please get back to me asap.
Thanks
Reply 33
Original post by Determined
Hi i have an interview at SCHUH this week. Quite nervous but can someone who has worked at schuh or had an interview tell me what to wear and what to expect. also if they ask you to sell as shoe how are you meant to do this?
please get back to me asap.
Thanks

Hi,
Im a Manager at Schuh. I know people say this all the time but all i can say is be yourself. Most of us managers are really down to earth easy going people. What to wear = Bear in mind you are working in YOUNG retail environment.. need i say anymore?? With Schuh Service is key.. You need to be confident, be able to go to talk every single customer that walks into the store, have a smile on your face and be HAPPY!.

As for the person who commented above- Great company to work for. Good pay, Good discount and a fast lively environment.
Original post by Dan-001
Hi,
Im a Manager at Schuh. I know people say this all the time but all i can say is be yourself. Most of us managers are really down to earth easy going people. What to wear = Bear in mind you are working in YOUNG retail environment.. need i say anymore?? With Schuh Service is key.. You need to be confident, be able to go to talk every single customer that walks into the store, have a smile on your face and be HAPPY!.

As for the person who commented above- Great company to work for. Good pay, Good discount and a fast lively environment.

I was just wondering if you could tell me what the staff pay for 18 year olds would be, thanks.
hii
was just curious to what the pay and staff discount there is like, i have an interview within a few days and by the look of it it seems to be a good place to work. A bit fast pace but a doable and enjoyable job, thanks.
I just done the application form, how long did you take to hear back? X
anybody working for schuh i have a question
how long do they take to contact for an interview i just applied for the white rose store, im leaving college in 3 week and if im successful i'm hoping for it to start straight after leaving instead of before when im still in college cause i have a 15hr exam, do you think that would be the rough time the contract would start? or would it be earlier theoretically. the job went online on the website yesterday if that helps give a rough estimation to when they start to contact people for interviews.
thanks
Reply 38
where i work everyone gets paid the same price no matter what age if you're working the same role. I get 7.50 as a part time sales associate
Original post by TheNamesMoe
I was just wondering if you could tell me what the staff pay for 18 year olds would be, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending