The Student Room Group

Official Arabic/Middle Eastern Applicants 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I don't think these problems affect people who do not study Persian.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 121
I've received an invitation/interview for Middle Eastern Studies at Manchester Uni for the 7th of March. Anyone else?
Reply 122
Got an offer from Exeter for FCH Arabic and Economics yay
Reply 123
Original post by sohoscribbler
Fair enough. You would probably feel the same if you tried to study Persian at a British university, where your course depended on stratospherically dodgy funding. It comes from a country that cannot guarantee any protection for diplomats. Students are very much lower on the food list.

Let me know if I am wrong.

Good luck.

Why do you assume that funding for Persian comes from Iran?? does funding for university students doing French come from Sarkozy's govt. no? It's just some B.S that you are making up the university that have just given me an offer from Arabic and persian receives absolutely zero funding from Iran and its one of the most reputable departments in studies of this area.
Well, the best I can do is send you a link to this in-depth piece of research that suggests otherwise:

http://www.socialcohesion.co.uk/files/1238334247_1.pdf

Also remember the dear relationship between the LSE and Colonel Qaddafi.
Reply 126
Original post by sohoscribbler
Well, the best I can do is send you a link to this in-depth piece of research that suggests otherwise:

http://www.socialcohesion.co.uk/files/1238334247_1.pdf

Also remember the dear relationship between the LSE and Colonel Qaddafi.

Despite finding this link a somewhat enlightening read it fails to show any connection between Iran and the Persian or AISD at Exeter. Exeter doesn't try to hide the fact that it has received donations from the gulf states. However none of this even hints at Iranian donations sustaining any of the Persian courses at the university. Which is ultimately what this is all about Thus there is absolutely no reason to consider with the exception of FCO intervention in the year abroad(which would be out of the hands of any influence from Exeter uni or Iranian establishments) that a strong change in diplomatic relations with Iran would have any detrimental effects on the course.
Reply 127
Original post by brownie94
Despite finding this link a somewhat enlightening read it fails to show any connection between Iran and the Persian or AISD at Exeter. Exeter doesn't try to hide the fact that it has received donations from the gulf states. However none of this even hints at Iranian donations sustaining any of the Persian courses at the university. Which is ultimately what this is all about Thus there is absolutely no reason to consider with the exception of FCO intervention in the year abroad(which would be out of the hands of any influence from Exeter uni or Iranian establishments) that a strong change in diplomatic relations with Iran would have any detrimental effects on the course.

Precisely what I was going to say... Seems like the only Iranian regime endorsements are at Cambridge/ Oxford ...
Reply 128
Original post by Marina72
Precisely what I was going to say... Seems like the only Iranian regime endorsements are at Cambridge/ Oxford ...

And even those are minimal - their withdrawal wouldn't particularly disrupt the course...
Reply 129
And even those are minimal - their withdrawal wouldn't particularly disrupt the course...

precisely. and this is all hearsay evidence anyway. not proof.
Yes, impossible to prove, I agree. Universities depending on public spending do not have to reveal the sources of their funding. It is also impossible to obtain the truth from embassies because of diplomatic immunity.

Precisely the reason to avoid studying a subject such as Persian at a British university.
Reply 131
Original post by Sid91
I've received an invitation/interview for Middle Eastern Studies at Manchester Uni for the 7th of March. Anyone else?

Yeah I am going to that too!
Reply 132
^^ Have they sent you a programme?
Reply 133
Original post by Sid91
^^ Have they sent you a programme?

Only a basic outline said they would send a new one within a few weeks
Reply 134
The interview is so informal. It's really easy... don't fret about it :smile: If you have any questions about it, I had one in December so feel free to ask me :biggrin: I applied for Middle Eastern Languages btw :smile:
Reply 135
Only a basic outline said they would send a new one within a few weeks

Yup got sent the same thing.
Reply 136
Original post by Marina72
The interview is so informal. It's really easy... don't fret about it :smile: If you have any questions about it, I had one in December so feel free to ask me :biggrin: I applied for Middle Eastern Languages btw :smile:

Hey thanks for the help & reply Marina72. Soooo what did the questioning consist of? Any topics in particular? Also how did you prepare? Sorry for all the questions :colondollar: I've applied for Modern Middle Eastern History with Arabic.
Reply 137
Original post by Sid91
Hey thanks for the help & reply Marina72. Soooo what did the questioning consist of? Any topics in particular? Also how did you prepare? Sorry for all the questions :colondollar: I've applied for Modern Middle Eastern History with Arabic.

Haha well basically i heard there were questions about what you actually knew about the language itself so I revised some of the alphabet, mainly cos I wanted to learn more of it than I knew, and also what family of languages it was from etc. Also just sort of revised answers as to why I was interested in middle east etc....and the interview was... Hello Marina, so I see you've read some persian poetry, what did you like about that? Me: Blah blah blah... Her: So what are you particularly interested in in the Middle East? Me: Politics blah blah blah Her: So what did you think of the Arab Spring... Me: Talking about how great the arab spring was for the next 20 mins or so! haha! It lasted about 20/30 mins... And it was really informal :biggrin: Fun times lol. Enjoy :smile:
Reply 138
So basically they'll ask about your personal statement, question your interest in the course, then current events. Thank you so much for that. You're a star Really appreciate it Everyone is telling me it's really informal and relaxed so hopefully it will end well. Also have they given you an offer yet? If they haven't good luck to ya.
Reply 139
Original post by Sid91
So basically they'll ask about your personal statement, question your interest in the course, then current events. Thank you so much for that. You're a star Really appreciate it Everyone is telling me it's really informal and relaxed so hopefully it will end well. Also have they given you an offer yet? If they haven't good luck to ya.

:smile: No probs :biggrin: Well it's pretty weird, I had an ABB offer before the interview! lol.. What I gathered was that it was a post-offer day, with informal interview...yeah lots of people were saying how informal it was before mine, and I didn't believe them, but believe me it's informal! lol :biggrin: Do you have an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending