The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering Interviews/Offers Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i have just got an offer from nottingham and sheffield, with an interview in february at birmingham. whooo!!
Original post by MasterPotatoHead
Haha same here
What other unis have you applied to?

Manchester, Birmingham and Bath. You?
Reply 42
has anyone had an interview at imperial yet? and if so was it a technical interview?
Reply 43
Original post by ari17
has anyone had an interview at imperial yet? and if so was it a technical interview?

sort of, I got asked basic chemistry i.e. neutralisation of acids and bases.

it varies though.
Reply 44
Thought i'd join in! UCAS sent on 15th November. Just got offer from Bath AAB for MEng which I'm very happy with! :biggrin: Also interview/open day at manchester on the 12th December. Hoping for some news on imperial and my other choices soon! :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by ROB_IOW

Original post by ROB_IOW
Thought i'd join in! UCAS sent on 15th November. Just got offer from Bath AAB for MEng which I'm very happy with! :biggrin: Also interview/open day at manchester on the 12th December. Hoping for some news on imperial and my other choices soon! :smile:

Congratulations!! I got an offer from Bath about a month ago :tongue: Went to the UCAS open day, which was today, and basically fell in love with the place o.o
Good luck with your interview and the rest of your choices!
Reply 46
^How did it compare to Surrey?
Reply 47
Original post by Sameen

Original post by Sameen
^How did it compare to Surrey?

A lot more modern overall, nicer building layout, more populated (although that might be because Surrey's visit was on strike day? =/), there student union was full of people o.o and they honestly prize their students more (special wall dedicated to those who passed for each year/level). They let us eat lunch in the cafeteria (thus greater choice of food and also got a feel of the atmosphere at lunch) and the day was very informal compared to Surrey's.
Reply 48
Alright...You should go Bath then.
Reply 49
anyone else doing IB applying to chem eng? got offers from bath and nottingham, interview at cambridge but haven't heard back from UCL or imperial apart from acknowledgements...
Reply 50
Original post by Sameen

Original post by Sameen
Alright...You should go Bath then.

Probs will :smile: I want to see what UCL has got to say first before making a final decision though.
Reply 51
By the way you described it, it seems like I definitely should have put Bath instead of Surrey down...especially since the lunch you get at the open days there seems much better.
Reply 52
Original post by Sameen

Original post by Sameen
By the way you described it, it seems like I definitely should have put Bath instead of Surrey down...especially since the lunch you get at the open days there seems much better.

lol you tryna be funny? :tongue:
Reply 53
Original post by Cath-ay
lol you tryna be funny? :tongue:

Yes...was it funny?
Reply 54
Original post by Sameen
Yes...was it funny?

:wink:
Reply 55
How is Newcastle University for Chemical Engineering ?

I've got actual grades of A*AB with 2A's at AS-Level. I am deciding to choose Chem Engineering as my back-up ( main choice is Medicine ).

How is Newcastle University and which one University would you suggest I apply for, for Chem Eng ?
Reply 56
Original post by arsi123
How is Newcastle University for Chemical Engineering ?

I've got actual grades of A*AB with 2A's at AS-Level. I am deciding to choose Chem Engineering as my back-up ( main choice is Medicine ).

How is Newcastle University and which one University would you suggest I apply for, for Chem Eng ?

Don't have back ups. It's always a bad thing because it'll either make you fail to get into either of your courses or your not gonna like the back course you get into. Also, if you have other course choices in mind, it means you are undecided and should carefully think about what you really wanna do. Something like medicine and ChemE which are quite unrelated should be reconsidered. This means your passion of the course may not come out as strong as it could be...if it was biochem/biomed and medicine, then fair enough. You seem like a strong candidate for medicine so continue on your pursuit of that.

Here is ranking for ChemE courses anyway: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Chemical+Engineering
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Sameen
Don't have back ups. It's always a bad thing because it'll either make you fail to get into either of your courses or your not gonna like the back course you get into. Also, if you have other course choices in mind, it means you are undecided and should carefully think about what you really wanna do. Something like medicine and ChemE which are quite unrelated should be reconsidered. This means your passion of the course may not come out as strong as it could be...if it was biochem/biomed and medicine, then fair enough. You seem like a strong candidate for medicine so continue on your pursuit of that.

Here is ranking for ChemE courses anyway: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Chemical+Engineering

Heyy. :smile:

Well, i'm a re-applicant, so I failed to secure a place into a Medical University last year. I have thus taken a Gap year, and worked hard in order to gain work experience, etc.

However, since the competition is so high, even getting an interview ( which I didn't get any last year ) is not granted. And hence, that's made me want to pick a back-up so as to ensure I do go to University this year, and don't end up with nothing at the end. If I can't get into Medicine, then I will go down the ChemE route, solely based on the fact that I love both Mathematics and Chemistry. I don't want to do BioMed since I know I won't enjoy it, however, ChemE is something I would enjoy, if I don't get into a Medical School.

I appreciate your message and thanks for the advice. :biggrin:

And also, thanks for the University ranking website, but I've already gone through it. I've gone through all the University ranking websites, like thecompleteuniversityguide and Guardian to name a few. However, the issue is, the rankings are so different. The former ranks Newcastle as 9, whereas the latter ranks it as 5. I know, not a "huge" difference, but each website has different values for each criteria like student satisfaction, graduate prospects, etc - and none of the values are even close in both the websites. So I mean, one ranking website would give a very high value for graduate prospects, whereas the other would give a rather modest score. So i'm just unsure. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
What questions are asked at the Manchester Interview???
^^^what i wanna know! im breaking my back (well, trying to :tongue:) revising the topics im taking in case of technical questions. Im a re-applicant too, so they might ask me. How many of u had technical questions asked and are any of you re-applicants?

Quick Reply

Latest