The Student Room Group

how good is sussex really?

ok i'm just getting my offers back for 2007 entry to study various chemistry degrees and ive got an offer to sussex. my first two choices are UCL and manchester and have been for quite a while, however, i cant help but notice sussex popping up at the top or high up on many league tables. i know they arent everything but i was just wondering if it is infact as good as is being suggested. what is making it come so high up all the time? i understand it is a very small department, so much so that they have been very personal in my offer and invitations to open days, talking about the specifics of my personal statement and preparing various experiments for us to do on the day. but is it really prestigious? i cant help but feel i would benefit more form a recognised and highly regarded institution such as UCL or Mancs, expecially if i ddint stay in science but then would i be missing out on a great chem degree at sussex?
i know alot of that is personal but just wondered where sussex stood in the opinions of others?
Reply 1
compared to UCL and manchester sussex isnt great at all I think possibly overall general perception of the university is most important
I applied because the atmosphere of the university.. it's a really good campus and i think the course is standard.

I rushed my course choices really..
Reply 3
im at sussex, as far as i know a lot of the scientists have most their lectures in jms or the medical school building, which are probably the nicest (and definately newest) buildings on campus. im doing geog so cant really tell you anything about the chemistry degree there but i do science electives (biochemical cycles etc etc) and found them to be really good. best thing is to look at the course website see if their degree would be for you or visit the uni. when i got my offer from sussex i wrote them off and convinced myself i wouldnt like it, changed my view so drastically after visiting the open day that im now here studying in my first year :biggrin:
Reply 4
Are you on some kind of hallucinogenic drug? Sussex is a top 20 University and held in high esteem in academic circles. Fantastic place, would choose it over almost anywhere.
Reply 5
Hey, could you provide evidence for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending