The Student Room Group

Oxford Oriental Studies Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Quack
Hey, I'm an Orientalist at Ox, and I can tell you that your grades are definitely good enough. I got worse grades than you did at GCSE, and I'm here.

With subjects like the Oriental languages (which are you thinking of btw?), what's much more important than your grades is your personal statement. You have to show them that you have an interest. You probably haven't studied the language before, so you have to be able to demonstate that you already have the passion to do what's probably going to be a very demanding degree.

Obviously grades are important, but you're already in a position from which you can apply knowing that they won't reject you on the basis of your grades. So what you should do now is read around the subject. Really figure out what interests you in the area. Literature, history and that stuff. With a strong enough personal statement you'll get an interview and then you can blow them away with your passion! :p:

Read the ox website. It doesn't say anything about perfect grades.

All the best. If you want any more info feel free to get in contact.

Hello, I am currently studying ENlgish Literature, Turkish, History, Geography and Classical civilisation as my A-level subjects and I have a very high ambition to go to the University of Oxford to study Turkish as an oriental study. I am very stressed about my grades and if I would get in or not. I have planned my whole career and all my dreams rely on my entrance into Oxford as Oxford is one of the very few unis that offer Turkish (along with London, Manchester)...

Also, my GCSE's were not very good as I went to a satisfactory school and only came to grips with success and education at the beginning of year 11. I got 1 a*. 9 b's, 1 c, 1 D so I would be very gratful if you could give me some advice and help me... My teachers in my new school which is an outstanding school are discouraging me to apply but Turkish and English are the two subjects I am most passionate about and changing and adjusting my whole career and where I would want to lead myself in life is my least desire.

I would be very thankful if you could help me as you have experience of applying and tips for my personal statement. Also, not to sound like a creep or anything but if it is ok with you I would like to take your email address so that I could contact you with more efficiency and really ask you some questions and ask for ideas...

Thank you!
Hey guys :redface:

Im considering Oriental Studies at Oxford, but the problem is, I haven't done any languages for A-Level; the prospectus says it is "helpful/useful" to have one.

Will this count against me in my application?

If, hypothetically, I was competing with another applicant who did have a language, and it was borderline between us, would the other person be given preferential treatment?

I need to know from people doing Oriental Studies- did you do a language? Do you know people doing Oriental Studies that didn't do an A-Level/IB/Higher language?

Cheers anyway
:s-smilie:
bump
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for Oriental Studies, but I haven't any A-Levels in Foreign Languages... I was just wondering if I could ask a few questions?

Do you know anyone who does Oriental Studies without having done a language a level?

Will not having a language a-level count against me? (The prospectus says it is "helpful"- do they imply that I need to have one)

Do you think I should go for it?

Cheers
Reply 44
Original post by Narutopolaris
Hi I'm thinking of applying to Oxford for Oriental Studies, but I haven't any A-Levels in Foreign Languages... I was just wondering if I could ask a few questions?

Do you know anyone who does Oriental Studies without having done a language a level?

Will not having a language a-level count against me? (The prospectus says it is "helpful"- do they imply that I need to have one)

Do you think I should go for it?

Cheers

Hey, I just graduated in Japanese, so my information might be a few years out of date, but when I applied I didn`t have a language at A-level either. It`s helpful in the sense that it shows aptitude and motivation for languages, but if you can prove this in another way (find a tutor in your desired language, studying on your own) then it shouldn`t be a problem. It`s all about motivation. Prove to them you really want to study whatever you want to study. Go for it.
Reply 45
Original post by Narutopolaris
Hey guys :redface:

Im considering Oriental Studies at Oxford, but the problem is, I haven't done any languages for A-Level; the prospectus says it is "helpful/useful" to have one.

Will this count against me in my application?

If, hypothetically, I was competing with another applicant who did have a language, and it was borderline between us, would the other person be given preferential treatment?

I need to know from people doing Oriental Studies- did you do a language? Do you know people doing Oriental Studies that didn't do an A-Level/IB/Higher language?

Cheers anyway
:s-smilie:

Hey,

I am just starting as a first year doing Japanese at Oxford. I was really worried about this as well as I did not do a language at A-Level and I can say don't stress too much about it. I got in without an A-Level language and there are others (who I know) who got in without an A-Level language. As long as you have a GCSE and a passion for the language and the culture, you have a good chance.

As for preferential treatment, I don't think there is any I do know some people who did Japanese at A-Level and didn't receive an offer, as well as those who got an offer. You just have to prove to them you are committed and are passionate about it :biggrin:
Original post by Inspirit
Hey,

I am just starting as a first year doing Japanese at Oxford. I was really worried about this as well as I did not do a language at A-Level and I can say don't stress too much about it. I got in without an A-Level language and there are others (who I know) who got in without an A-Level language. As long as you have a GCSE and a passion for the language and the culture, you have a good chance.

As for preferential treatment, I don't think there is any I do know some people who did Japanese at A-Level and didn't receive an offer, as well as those who got an offer. You just have to prove to them you are committed and are passionate about it :biggrin:

cheers for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 47
Apart from the ones listed on the website-which are hard to get hold of, are there any suggested reading that you have for the Japanese course? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by RazzleDaz
Apart from the ones listed on the website-which are hard to get hold of, are there any suggested reading that you have for the Japanese course? Thanks

http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/ea/japanese/ba_japanese.html At the bottom of the page, there is suggested reading. Once you have a place and get the grades, you get a specific reading list from the college you applied to.
Reply 49
Hi

I know there won't be many applying for this course, but is anyone due to sit the OLAT on the 6th November? There is only 1 past paper so how are you all studying for it?

Thanks
Reply 50
Original post by KazM
Hi

I know there won't be many applying for this course, but is anyone due to sit the OLAT on the 6th November? There is only 1 past paper so how are you all studying for it?

Thanks

hey im applying for Arabic so im sitting it too, there really is nothing you can do to prep for it tbh, just relax :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by example96
hey im applying for Arabic so im sitting it too, there really is nothing you can do to prep for it tbh, just relax :smile:

Ah okay, good! What course are you applying for?
Reply 52
Original post by KazM

Hi, I am also sitting the paper on Wednesday. I am applying for Arabic and Islamic studies, you? :smile: All I have done to prepare is do that practice paper tbh. As the other Arabist said - try to relax as much as possible :smile: Admittedly, I understand it is difficult advice to put into use!! Haha best of luck on Wednesday :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by KazM

Arabic and Islamic Studies at Oxford, Arabic and International Relations/Politics at St Andrews, Edinburgh and Exeter, and Arabic and Middle Eastern History, again at St Andrews. You?
Also what college did you apply for?
Reply 54
Arabic and Islamic Studies at Oxford, Arabic and International Relations/Politics at St Andrews, Edinburgh and Exeter, and Arabic and Middle Eastern History, again at St Andrews. You?
Also what college did you apply for?

Arabic and Islamic Studies at St Johns Oxford!
Good Luck tomorrow
Reply 55
Original post by HennoG22
Hi, I am also sitting the paper on Wednesday. I am applying for Arabic and Islamic studies, you? :smile: All I have done to prepare is do that practice paper tbh. As the other Arabist said - try to relax as much as possible :smile: Admittedly, I understand it is difficult advice to put into use!! Haha best of luck on Wednesday :smile:

Yes, I guess that is all that we can do.
Also- on the website, it does say that the test has 'no material influence' as it is in the PILOT phase! Have you guys submitted the work yet?
Reply 56
Original post by KazM
Yes, I guess that is all that we can do.
Also- on the website, it does say that the test has 'no material influence' as it is in the PILOT phase! Have you guys submitted the work yet?

Yes, hopefully it is still fairly unimportant!! :smile: I have submitted my work, yes :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by KazM
Good Luck tomorrow

ahhh we've applied for the same course at the same college, i hate you now! xD good luckkk
Original post by KazM
Good Luck tomorrow

ahhh we've applied for the same course at the same college, i hate you now! xD good luckkk

At least you picked a good college :wink:
Admissions Testing Service exams (used by the University of Oxford, Imperial College London and some Medical schools) are international exams. As a result, some candidates in one country may have already completed an exam that hasn't yet started elsewhere. In order to keep these exams as fair as possible, we'll close threads on the following entrance exams on the 6th November and reopen them at midday (12pm) the following day:

BMAT (BioMedical Admissions Test)
CAT (Classics Admissions Test)
ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test)
HAT (History Aptitude Test)
MAT (Mathematics Admissions Test)
MLAT (Modern Languages Admissions Test)
OLAT (Oriental Languages Aptitude Test)
PAT (Physics Aptitude Test)
TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment)

This means no post-exam discussion is permitted until 12pm (UK time) on the 7th November - not even "I found it hard/easy", "I dropped my pencil", and could include conveying this via smilies or similar. The line between

"I found it hard" and
"I found question 2 hard" and
"I found question 2 about <insert subject> hard"

is very blurred. What starts as innocent discussion can turn into disclosures of exam content. We're therefore operating a zero tolerance policy on discussing these exams.

Anyone breaking this rule on TSR will receive a 10 point warning and may be banned from the site.

PLEASE NOTE: this rule applies to any form of discussion, including, but not limited to, PMs (Private Messages).

If you see anyone breaking these rules, please report them to the moderation team by using the report button.

Good luck to everyone sitting these exams!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending