The Student Room Group

Oxford Oriental Studies Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

ain't this thread meant to be closed till the time period is over?
Original post by TheGoldenRatio
ain't this thread meant to be closed till the time period is over?

I hadn't closed this thread (I closed the threads about the specific tests, it's just there wasn't an OLAT thread) but will do so now.
Discussion is permitted now!
how did everyone find the olat?
Reply 64
Quite difficult... Especially the timing and 'likyd' or something. I'm glad that itvis just in the pilot stage so has no influence!
Reply 65
Original post by fluteflute
At least you picked a good college :wink:

haa hopefully i'll see you there next year :P
Reply 66
Original post by KazM
Quite difficult... Especially the timing and 'likyd' or something. I'm glad that itvis just in the pilot stage so has no influence!

i figured lik meant 'liked', two vowels meaning present and one vowel meaning perfect tense. i thought -l on the end meant the subject was plural and -s meant the object was plural (-ls mean both were plural?).

apparently, though they say it has no material influence, ive been told that they certainly do take it into account, otherwise they wouldn't make applicants sit it every year (which makes sense) - i hope not, as i think it went badly! xD How did you do for timing?
Reply 67
Original post by example96
i figured lik meant 'liked', two vowels meaning present and one vowel meaning perfect tense. i thought -l on the end meant the subject was plural and -s meant the object was plural (-ls mean both were plural?).

apparently, though they say it has no material influence, ive been told that they certainly do take it into account, otherwise they wouldn't make applicants sit it every year (which makes sense) - i hope not, as i think it went badly! xD How did you do for timing?

I've heard that it is quite a new test, and the website says it is in the Pilot Phase. Thus they are just testing it out this year...but I think in future it will become as important as the HAT/MLAT etc.

I really hope it doesn't count.
I would like to ask for advice about the interview! What do they want to see in me? What should I do to prepare? I am applying for Japanese and have already studied up to JLPT N4 level (I am actually sitting N4 the coming Saturday!) Thanks!:smile:
Original post by Inspirit
Hey,

I am just starting as a first year doing Japanese at Oxford. I was really worried about this as well as I did not do a language at A-Level and I can say don't stress too much about it. I got in without an A-Level language and there are others (who I know) who got in without an A-Level language. As long as you have a GCSE and a passion for the language and the culture, you have a good chance.

As for preferential treatment, I don't think there is any I do know some people who did Japanese at A-Level and didn't receive an offer, as well as those who got an offer. You just have to prove to them you are committed and are passionate about it :biggrin:

Hi (sorry to resurrect this), but I was just wondering what you did to show that you had some linguistic ability? I'm thinking of doing a summer language course (If I can find one....)
Reply 70
While this thread is being resurrected - what do you lot see as career prospects after doing, say, Japanese? This is something I'd love to do, but then I would not want to be tied with just working with Asia in the future. And doing what... any thoughts? :smile:
Hi guys, not sure if this is the correct thread but here goes.
Being an international student i am current studying theology in Turkey and aim to study my masters in Oriental studies at the university of Oxford,in 2016. However, i am a bit skeptical about my current results as the university at which i am studying implements the Bell curve system and my average subject mark is 80%, but upon conversion to a mark out of 4(GPA), due to the class average, equates to a score of less then three. Do you believe my average to be good enough to be taken under consideration? What exactly are the application requirements? would be very grateful if anyone studying an Ma in Oriental studies can help me. Thanks
Reply 72
Original post by ZoZo1770
Hi all,

I'm currently studying Japanese at AS (and plan to take it to A2 next year), and would like to apply to study Japanese at Oxford. Regarding personal statements, this is a bit of a silly question but... does it all have be 'intelligent' stuff, like literature and current affairs, or is it possible to talk about aspects of the Japanese culture such as the anime, technology and video game industry? Any ideas on what they prefer?

- Zoë :smile:

Personal statements are about showing why you want to study the course you're applying for, so if anime is a reason then why not. At the same time you need to show that you understand what the course will be like, and I doubt saying how much you love anime will demonstrate that when most of the course will be literature, history and anthropology, nor will it provide all that much material for the interview. If you have something insightful to say then fine, but I don't see 'I've always liked naruto...' as an opening line doing you any favours.
Reply 73
Fair point - it's evident that approaching it in an immature way would be stupid (don't worry, I'm not about to open with 'I love Naruto 0_0). It's just that Japan is known a lot for its modern culture, too, and I was wondering whether any of it would be relevant. Perhaps I'll stick with literature!

It's just my opinion, but I think if you go for the cliched elements of Japanese culture it makes your interest in Japanese as an academic subject look superficial.

That's true, most people 'discover' Japan through its modern culture. If you really want to talk about it, you could consider herbivore males and hikikomori and how those phenomena are connected to modern visual culture or parallels between manga and video games and conventional literature, but I think it's easier to play it safe.

Anyway, Japanese literature is really nice and varied. What authors do you like?
Reply 74
I'll admit I haven't read much proper literature yet, as it's all been books about Japan rather than by Japanese authors, but I'm hoping to tackle Ishiguro and Murakami over the summer, as well as a few lesser-known authors and perhaps some mythology... any authors you can recommend? :smile:

I really like Murakami's books, but they're not really typically Japanese. Norwegian Wood is a great tragic love story, but out of his various '30-something-having-an-existential-crisis' novels The Wind up Bird Chronicle is my favourite.

Natsume Soseki's Kokoro is a good place to start. Other than that Akutagawa wrote some very chilling short stories like Rashomon, and I like Yasunari Kawabata's novels. Snow Country is supposed to be his masterpiece, but you should have a read of his wikipedia page and see if any of his other works interest you.

If you can already read Japanese, Aozora Bunko will let you read any Japanese novel more that 60 (70?) years old for free, but be warned that anything pre-war will be difficult.
Reply 75
Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to look into these. Had a glance at some more Kawabata and The Sound of the Mountain and Thousand Cranes sound quite interesting - also The Dancing Girl of Izu. And Aozora Bunko sounds quite promising - I'll have a look and see how much of it I can understand, bearing in mind that I'm only at AS Level, so kanji may be a pain. ^^ But thanks so much again, this has really helped!

You're welcome. I'm reading The Sound of the Mountain right now, but reading in Japanese is quite time consuming so I haven't got too far.

You can get browser plug-ins that tell you what a kanji means and how it's read when you scroll over it for firefox and chrome, so kanji aren't the biggest problem. Japanese before the spelling reforms wasn't phonetic, so you'll have to cope with stuff like 思う being 思ふ, いる being ゐる and so on, which takes a while to get used to.

What got you in to Japanese? I'm doing A level Japanese too by the way. How did you find the exam?
Reply 76
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. ^^

As for what got me into Japanese, I suppose part of it is just luck that my school teaches it as a subject - French is compulsory, naturally, and the choice of second language was Spanish, Italian or Japanese. Chose Japanese because it was different and sounded more interesting, and took to the language from day one. Regarding the exam, I didn't find it too bad - perhaps not the easiest, but a lot nicer than the past papers. A fair exam, I just hope I get that A come August! What about you?

After watching Haruhi Suzumiya I decided to learn Japanese, and 3 years later I'm still at it. I've always liked languages, but I feel an affinity for Japanese in particular. The interest in Japanese stuff developed as I learned more. Having such a variety of languages on offer at your school sounds great though, not many offer Japanese at all.

Language wise it was fine, but it was also the first time in my life I'd had to write prose by hand in Japanese. The morning of the exam I could write about 20% of the kanji from memory, so I had to try and cram the rest in about 3 hours. I think it went well though.

By the way Cambridge will send you a free book about gender in Japan (particularly as depicted in anime/manga) if you ask for one. The form's at http://www.research.ames.cam.ac.uk/research-groups/japanese-korean-studies-rg/Japanese-korean-studies-rg-projects/Steger3

The topics were things I'm interested in anyway, but I think anyone applying for Japanese would enjoy it, and it would be something to talk about at interview/ in your personal statement.
Hi everyone!!

No one has posted here in a while :P

How are you all doing in terms of the UCAS application?
Original post by TheTechN1304
Hi everyone!!

No one has posted here in a while :P

How are you all doing in terms of the UCAS application?

My UCAS is sent, but its still with my school who haven't sent it off yet, which is very VERY annoying. Currently sorting out work to be submitted haha.
And you?
Original post by afterallthistime
My UCAS is sent, but its still with my school who haven't sent it off yet, which is very VERY annoying. Currently sorting out work to be submitted haha.
And you?

i was having that exact problem as well last week...school finally sent it off on Thursday. I'm having to write 2 new pieces as submitted work (as none of the subjects I do are suitable to take work from) which is really stressful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending