The Student Room Group

Oxford Oriental Studies Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTechN1304
i was having that exact problem as well last week...school finally sent it off on Thursday. I'm having to write 2 new pieces as submitted work (as none of the subjects I do are suitable to take work from) which is really stressful!

Oh no, thats so annoying! Why are they unsuitable, and what are you writing about?
Original post by afterallthistime
Oh no, thats so annoying! Why are they unsuitable, and what are you writing about?

Well German and Japanese don't have essays I can submit for obvious reasons, Economics isn't really very 'essay heavy' (at least not yet, and I've been told economics essays would be bad to submit anyway). I could potentially submit politics work, but we haven't exactly been given many essays and so I would still have to write a new piece of work.

My first essay is on Japanese politics and the reasons as to why the country changes PM so frequently. I'll finish that this weekend.

The second one will maybe be on literature (I haven't even decided yet so am really panicking lol) but I don't know.

My school wants it all sent before half term which starts on the 17th, so I've only really got two weeks. What about you?
Well German and Japanese don't have essays I can submit for obvious reasons, Economics isn't really very 'essay heavy' (at least not yet, and I've been told economics essays would be bad to submit anyway). I could potentially submit politics work, but we haven't exactly been given many essays and so I would still have to write a new piece of work.

My first essay is on Japanese politics and the reasons as to why the country changes PM so frequently. I'll finish that this weekend.

The second one will maybe be on literature (I haven't even decided yet so am really panicking lol) but I don't know.

My school wants it all sent before half term which starts on the 17th, so I've only really got two weeks. What about you?

I'm submitting an economics report I wrote about poverty and inequality, comparing two countries, one with medium and one with low development, so I did the Philippines and Sierra Leone (if I remember rightly haha).
I'm also currently rewriting a history essay I wrote, about the reasons for the outcome of the English Civil War.

Haha don't panic. I need to work out the logistics of submitting work and what my schools policy is. I assume we submit it ourselves?
Reply 83

Did you receive a welcome email from Oxford after submitting your UCAS application?

I'm in a similar situation as Economics is the only 'essay' subject I do, and econ essays are so formulaic and soulless I'd rather not send one in anyway.

I think I'll ask the college I'm applying to for guidance.
Original post by ronmcd
Did you receive a welcome email from Oxford after submitting your UCAS application?

I'm in a similar situation as Economics is the only 'essay' subject I do, and econ essays are so formulaic and soulless I'd rather not send one in anyway.

I think I'll ask the college I'm applying to for guidance.

No :/ (please say you haven't received one yet either lol)

Apparently we'll be emailed by the college and told what to do about submitted work, but I am yet to receive anything.

What are you other subjects?
Reply 85
No :/ (please say you haven't received one yet either lol)

Apparently we'll be emailed by the college and told what to do about submitted work, but I am yet to receive anything.

What are you other subjects?

Same for me, I haven't received anything from Oxford yet.

I do Maths and German at school.
Hey guys if any of you are studying Chinese for Oriental Studies could ask the below questions? Or if you have a friend who could answer these that would be great.
I know the Oriental Studies program is not for native speakers, but see I think I am at an intermediate level of Chinese. How would they distinguish the maximum level of Chinese for prospecting students?
Original post by mathmacgeoch
Hey guys if any of you are studying Chinese for Oriental Studies could ask the below questions? Or if you have a friend who could answer these that would be great.
I know the Oriental Studies program is not for native speakers, but see I think I am at an intermediate level of Chinese. How would they distinguish the maximum level of Chinese for prospecting students?

Hey, I'm sort of in the same position as you (I do the equivalent of an A-level in chinese, i do cambridge pre-u). At Oxford, you have to start from the beginning if they give you a place, unlike universities like Edinburgh and Manchester that have other entry points. How advanced are you? Like a native speaker? I can imagine they will ask you at interview how good your Chinese is. I have a friend who's at Oxford now for Chinese who did IB Chinese. They had a small section in Chinese to test her level. If you are pretty much a native speaker, they might wonder why you've applied as you will be very advanced.
Sorry this probably isn't helpful at all! :colondollar:
Hey, I'm sort of in the same position as you (I do the equivalent of an A-level in chinese, i do cambridge pre-u). At Oxford, you have to start from the beginning if they give you a place, unlike universities like Edinburgh and Manchester that have other entry points. How advanced are you? Like a native speaker? I can imagine they will ask you at interview how good your Chinese is. I have a friend who's at Oxford now for Chinese who did IB Chinese. They had a small section in Chinese to test her level. If you are pretty much a native speaker, they might wonder why you've applied as you will be very advanced.
Sorry this probably isn't helpful at all! :colondollar:

Thanks a lot! Yea I am currently doing the equivalent of Chinese A in GCSE (I'm doing MYP) and will probably doing Chinese B HL in IB next year. I would say I'm quite close to native level but not native as although I'm doing Chinese A (which is at a native level) I'm barely passing because my basic Chinese skills are lacking. Any idea if Cambridge has a similar system to Oxford or if they accept different levels? Also if you wouldn't mind asking which particular IB Chinese they did (as in A/B, HL/SL)

Thanks a lot!!

EDIT: Also, Do you have any idea which uni's might be accepting students at my level who want to continue their Chinese skills?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mathmacgeoch
Thanks a lot! Yea I am currently doing the equivalent of Chinese A in GCSE (I'm doing MYP) and will probably doing Chinese B HL in IB next year. I would say I'm quite close to native level but not native as although I'm doing Chinese A (which is at a native level) I'm barely passing because my basic Chinese skills are lacking. Any idea if Cambridge has a similar system to Oxford or if they accept different levels? Also if you wouldn't mind asking which particular IB Chinese they did (as in A/B, HL/SL)

Thanks a lot!!

EDIT: Also, Do you have any idea which uni's might be accepting students at my level who want to continue their Chinese skills?

I think she did Chinese B (thats the non-native right?) and SL. And she's at Oxford.

Cambridge I'm guessing has a similar system to Oxford but I'm not entirely sure, I never looked that deeply into Cambridge.

Well I know that some uni's offer different entry points, where you take a test during the first week of term and they assess your level and put you in the right level. For example, if you're good enough, at Edinburgh, you start the second year Chinese course in your first year. I know that Edinburgh and Manchester definitely do this. Not sure about the others, you'd have to look. (Go to the Open Days, they're really useful!)
Original post by luvursoul
Basically our school keeps saying that you won't even have a chance if you don't have 7 A* and the rest As. So be realistic and don't apply. Totally crushing news. I also know that people hate having people put their fantastic grades up saying can I get into Oxbridge with their full A* grades. But seriously, people I need information. My GCSE grades are causing me insomnia!!!
Okay I got 5A* 4A 1B (chemistry) I also have an A in maths AS and have now finished yr 12. I am going to apply for Oriental Studies which people say doesn't have a very high competition rate, but I think it is just as hard as any other. I really want to get in. They have the perfect course. If any of you TSR people happen to be doing Oriental Studies and am at Oxford. I would really really appreciate it and may love you forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

p.s. I wrote this same one in the personal statement area because I didn't realise this existed. So if you saw this and that please don't grill me.

I have a friend who's just started studying Chinese at Queen's, and he got in with a C at GCSE (in Tech, admittedly, but still). Apart from that, he had exactly the same GCSEs as you with another A :smile:
Original post by spiritandteeth
I have a friend who's just started studying Chinese at Queen's, and he got in with a C at GCSE (in Tech, admittedly, but still). Apart from that, he had exactly the same GCSEs as you with another A :smile:

They wrote that 5 years ago :wink:
They wrote that 5 years ago :wink:

Hey, for future readers of the thread . . .
Anyone heard anything yet?
Anyone heard anything yet?

A friend of mine at school has got an interview at Balliol for Japanese, but he's the only one I know so far...I'm still waiting!
A friend of mine at school has got an interview at Balliol for Japanese, but he's the only one I know so far...I'm still waiting!

Good luck :smile: a girl from the same college i applied to (but for a different subject) has just got an interview, so I know my college is, but don't know about the Chinese department. Which college did you apply to?
Good luck :smile: a girl from the same college i applied to (but for a different subject) has just got an interview, so I know my college is, but don't know about the Chinese department. Which college did you apply to?

You too! I'm apply to Wadham. I don't think they've sent out any interviews yet though. What college are you applying to?
You too! I'm apply to Wadham. I don't think they've sent out any interviews yet though. What college are you applying to?

Pembroke :smile:
got an interview at Hertford!
Actually really excited about it:smile:
Original post by mollyamberr
got an interview at Hertford!
Actually really excited about it:smile:

Congratulations :biggrin:

My college seems to not have sent out any interviews yet :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending