The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
deej2

You are starting to really annoy me, we need to look towards the future as a church, and it is because of people like you who insist on telling people who go off what they have been taught and told by their Bishop that they are wrong. The church cannot be stuck in the past, which is where these Catechisms were written.

It is unfortunate that you are taking my links and applying them to me personally.

I am the messenger not the message. The church is not subject to societal whims and should not be so. If it were we would be condemned for 'blowing in the wind'.

If you want a church that fits in with your own viewpoints you should perhaps move to another church that does that.
Reply 181
deej2
Oooo - proper Catholic church eh?

Apparently, when my nana was growing up she had to teach the altar servers what to do, but she couldnt actually set foot on the sanctuary :confused:

Since Vatican 2 female altar servers are the 'norm' and as such have to have access to the Sanctuary to be able to carry out the duties of an acolyte.
Reply 182
minimo
I heard that the current Pope doesn't like females in the choir either.

Who told you that? :confused:
yawn

If you want a church that fits in with your own viewpoints you should perhaps move to another church that does that.

I personally think that is a little harsh - a lot of Catholics question their faith -I certainly have and still do to an extent. (I would like to also point out my Priest and School Chaplin said this was in human nature to question and that they even question sometimes) - I particularly don't like the Confession Rite, nor do I practice it (within the Church, my philosophy on the idea is that the Big man upstairs knows exactly what I've done and I don't need a middle man to tell me I've been cleansed, I know that in my heart i've been cleansed after having a 1-to-1 with god on my own - I feel dirty when I tell a Priest so I ask for personal healing instead) but I am still a Catholic, does that mean that I should go to a different Church? Remember our faith tells us to "Love thy neighbour" with the bickering going on here we aren't doing much of that
Reply 184
Tomásíona - Mháire
I personally think that is a little harsh - a lot of Catholics question their faith -I certainly have and still do to an extent. (I would like to also point out my Priest and School Chaplin said this was in human nature to question and that they even question sometimes) - I particularly don't like the Confession Rite, nor do I practice it (within the Church, my philosophy on the idea is that the Big man upstairs knows exactly what I've done and I don't need a middle man to tell me I've been cleansed, I know that in my heart i've been cleansed after having a 1-to-1 with god on my own - I feel dirty when I tell a Priest so I ask for personal healing instead) but I am still a Catholic, does that mean that I should go to a different Church? Remember our faith tells us to "Love thy neighbour" with the bickering going on here we aren't doing much of that

I am as cross as the other poster who condemned me is.

I do not make the rules - the rules are made by Christ, the founder of our Church.

Scripture cannot be modelled to suit our own life styles. If we wish to be members of any club (this is the only way I can illustrate my point) we have to abide by the rules.

I love my neighbours as I love myself - which is what God commands. We can all get angry from time to time, just as you have done here with me. It doesn't mean we stop this neighbourly love...at least for me it doesn't. :smile:
yawn

I do not make the rules - the rules are made by Christ, the founder of our Church.

Scripture cannot be modelled to suit our own life styles. If we wish to be members of any club (this is the only way I can illustrate my point) we have to abide by the rules.

I love my neighbours as I love myself - which is what God commands. We can all get angry from time to time, just as you have done here with me. It doesn't mean we stop this neighbourly love...at least for me it doesn't. :smile:

:smile: yeah you're point is solid enough but Deej2 just wanted to point out that our religion has to progress a little further than it has and it has to accept cultures and peoples thoughts are changing with secularisation. **I think** and the Church has to acknowledge these changes and allow more 'provisions' for its members. There's always gonna be a debate about the Catholic Religion but we don't make the rules - we just follow them :smile:
Reply 186
yawn

The rules are not made by Christ!
They are made by Cardinals who interpret scripture into what they want it to say.
Reply 187
deej2
The rules are not made by Christ!
They are made by Cardinals who interpret scripture into what they want it to say.

That's what I used to tell myself until I made a more 'in depth' study of Catholic Theology and Scripture.

I have to ask you though, deej2.

How do you think you'll cope with the vow of obedience to the Church if you become a priest?
erm this debate has gone a little too far for me **exits**
Reply 189
yawn
That's what I used to tell myself until I made a more 'in depth' study of Catholic Theology and Scripture.

I have to ask you though, deej2.

How do you think you'll cope with the vow of obedience to the Church if you become a priest?

Tell me, if Catechism is made by Jesus, explain why He says "I am the gateway" yet Catholic teaching is "anyone with a pure heart, but who does not know Christ can enter heaven"?
If Catechism is made by Jesus, why do we have laws against female priests?
Why a celibate priesthood?
Reply 190
deej2
Tell me, if Catechism is made by Jesus, explain why He says "I am the gateway" yet Catholic teaching is "anyone with a pure heart, but who does not know Christ can enter heaven"?
If Catechism is made by Jesus, why do we have laws against female priests?
Why a celibate priesthood?

Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the Father except through me".

The way to heaven is through belief in the resurrected Christ, the keeping of the Commandments and good works.

Regarding celibacy, those men called to consecrate themselves with undivided heart to the 'affairs of the Lord' give themselves entirely to God and Man. 1 Corinthians 7:32

If the Church were to ordain women they would be exceeding their mandate from Christ. The Lord Jesus chose men to form the college of the twelve apostles and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The Church recognises herself to be bound by this choice made by Jesus himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.
Mark 3:14-19; Luke 6:12-16; 1 Tim 3:1-13; 2 Tim 1:6; Titus 1:5-9

What does the vow of obedience taken by priests during their ordination signify to you?
Reply 191
yawn
Christ said "I am the way, the truth and the light, no one comes to the Father except through me".

The way to heaven is through belief in the resurrected Christ, the keeping of the Commandments and good works.

Regarding celibacy, those men called to consecrate themselves with undivided heart to the 'affairs of the Lord' give themselves entirely to God and Man. 1 Corinthians 7:32

If the Church were to ordain women they would be exceeding their mandate from Christ. The Lord Jesus chose men to form the college of the twelve apostles and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The Church recognises herself to be bound by this choice made by Jesus himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.

What does the vow of obedience taken by priests during their ordination signify to you?

Well, that directly contradicts Catholic teaching, as Catechism states that those who do not know Christ can enter heaven :p:
Reply 192
deej2
Well, that directly contradicts Catholic teaching, as Catechism states that those who do not know Christ can enter heaven :p:

CCC 161 "Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation in necessary for obtaining that salvation"...et seq.

If you want to know what the Cathechism actually says you can visit the Vatican website on http://www.vatican.va and use the search facility inputting 'Cathechism of the Catholic Church'

I need to go and watch 'Invasion' of TV now - catch you later.

Oh yes - what does the vow of obedience that a priest takes during his ordination signify to you? :wink:
Reply 193
yawn
CCC 161 "Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation in necessary for obtaining that salvation"...et seq.

If you want to know what the Cathechism actually says you can visit the Vatican website on http://www.vatican.va and use the search facility inputting 'Cathechism of the Catholic Church'

I need to go and watch 'Invasion' of TV now - catch you later.

Oh yes - what does the vow of obedience that a priest takes during his ordination signify to you? :wink:

PART 1, SECTION 2 2, CHAPTER 3 3, ARTICLE 9, PARAGRAPH 3, SUBSECTION 3, HEADING 5

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation. CCC - 337
Reply 194
yawn
Who told you that? :confused:

the BBC
Reply 195
yawn

Yes, but as my theologian friend pointed out today, some of the most important and indeed central, figures within our faith have been women. What would Catholicism be without the Virgin Mary or Mary Magdalene? Certainly without the former it wouldn't exist. I don't think it's a question of whether we like it or not - more a question of what we need to do for the Church to survive in the Western world.
Reply 196
deej2
PART 1, SECTION 2 2, CHAPTER 3 3, ARTICLE 9, PARAGRAPH 3, SUBSECTION 3, HEADING 5

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation. CCC - 337

deej2 - There is only one Article 9 in the whole of the CCC and that is in Chapter 3 under 'I believe in the Holy Catholic Church' relating to the Creed.
CCC 337 says 'God himself created the visible world in all its richness, diversity and order. Scripture presents the work of the Creator symbolically as a succession of six days of divine 'work', concluded by the 'rest' of the seventh day. On the subject of creation, the sacred text teaches the truths revealed by God for our salvation, permitting us to 'recognise the inner nature, the value and the ordering of the whole of creation to the praise of God.'

Post your source on this thread by way of a 'link' to let me see exactly what and where you are quoting from please, since it is not in the Cathechism where you have said it is.

I have read something similar on the Catholic Apologists by Fr. Michael Sheehan when he talks of Limbo and those who will not be in the full beatific vision of God in Heaven, but rather a place of happiness that is not in full 'communion' with the saints.
Reply 197
minimo
the BBC

Link please.
Reply 198
erm, I just heard it on TV at around the time when the previous Pope died. (It was BBC World, to be precise.)
Reply 199
minimo
Yes, but as my theologian friend pointed out today, some of the most important and indeed central, figures within our faith have been women. What would Catholicism be without the Virgin Mary or Mary Magdalene? Certainly without the former it wouldn't exist. I don't think it's a question of whether we like it or not - more a question of what we need to do for the Church to survive in the Western world.

I agree with your 'theologian friend' that some of the most important figures within our faith have been women - especially since I am one myself! :wink:

But as I said on my post, Christ has not given us the mandate through His example.

Whether we ever will have married priests (excepting those who have converted from the Anglican priesthood to the Catholic priesthood and were already married) or women priests, remains to be seen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending