The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur72.htm

Try the above - seems to explain a lot.
Reply 381
fr browne
Our crucifix is taken down but statues are left alone in most churches I know. strange.

Our cross will still be up outside the church this time next year though :p:
Reply 382
Ad-astra
http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/zlitur72.htm

Try the above - seems to explain a lot.

I hadn't read this and anyway, there are too many inconsistencies within it to be reliable.

For example, it says 'processional' crucifixes are not covered, and yet the one in my church is!

The most obvious reason for covering the statues and the crucifixes, to my mind, is that until Christ has died the cross is irrelevant, and until he 'descended to the dead' (as in the Apostles' Creed) and freed the souls destined for Heaven there were no saints.

What do you others think?
Reply 383
Monday of Passion Week - 10th April.

Daily reflection:

Have courage Have no fear: the strength of the Lord defends us from our worst enemies.
Psalm 27: 1-3, 13-14

Another question! What is the official name for the 'sprinkler' that the priest uses to spread holy water amongst the congregation? rep for first correct answer! :smile:
Reply 384
Soz, rpotter.

I can't consider entries from those who mock the Chrisitian faith.

The question was posed to test/improve the knowledge of our Catholic members, not those who attempt to gain +rep for seeking answers (that might be wrong in any case) from misleading websites.

I can pose one question specifically for you, however. Why do you have such a lack of respect for those who have been given the 'gift of faith' from God?
Reply 385
yawn
Soz, rpotter.

I can't consider entries from those who mock the Chrisitian faith.

The question was posed to test/improve the knowledge of our Catholic members, not those who attempt to gain +rep for seeking answers (that might be wrong in any case) from misleading websites.

I can pose one question specifically for you, however. Why do you have such a lack of respect for those who have been given the 'gift of faith' from God?

I dont have a lack of respect for them, not at all, I just think that they are wrong which is natural seeing as I am an atheist. Whether someone is religious or not has nothing to do with how much I respect them.

Edit: Ill delete my post btw so that others can answer the question
Reply 386
rpotter
I dont have a lack of respect for them, not at all, I just think that they are wrong which is natural seeing as I am an atheist. Whether someone is religious or not has nothing to do with how much I respect them.

Edit: Ill delete my post btw so that others can answer the question

Thank you, rpotter. :smile:
The aspersorium no?
Reply 388
fr browne
The aspersorium no?

Unfortunately, no. :frown:
aspergill(um) is the sprinkler.
aspersorium - is the bucket type container holding the Holy Water.
Oui?
Reply 390
Ad-astra
Oui?

Oui.
Reply 391
Ad-astra
Oui?

Correct! rep for you.

Watch out for another question on tomorrow's 'Passion Week Daily Reflection.'

btw - why don't you join our society? :smile:
I am part of the society - but I changed my screen name! (formerly Ossie1701)
P.S. Thanks for the rep!
i just made my first confession. it was rubbish. it went ' father ummm err ummm i have sinned ummm err i am not compassionate to my family and people i am sometimes lazy and ummmm eerr i dont pray enough" then i ran away. im not very good at this stuff.
Reply 394
shinytoy
i just made my first confession. it was rubbish. it went ' father ummm err ummm i have sinned ummm err i am not compassionate to my family and people i am sometimes lazy and ummmm eerr i dont pray enough" then i ran away. im not very good at this stuff.

Dont be despondent - God knows what is in your heart and the confessor is well used to the difficulty that we all find in the confessing of our sins.

Go again - soon. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in the examination of your conscience and if it helps, confess your sins in a less prescribed manner. :smile:
Reply 395
11th April - Tuesday of Passion Week

Daily Reflection:

Redeeming Acts Our words and deeds are made holy through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 49:1-6

Todays rep awarding question is; What is the name of the small table placed within the sanctuary of a church at the 'Epistle' side for the purpose of holding the cruets, chalice, paten. corporal and veil, until the Offertory?
Reply 396
Ad-astra
I am part of the society - but I changed my screen name! (formerly Ossie1701)
P.S. Thanks for the rep!

Oh, yes. I remember you as Ossie1701.

Glad you appreciate the rep - it was deserved.

I would be grateful though if you could resist answering today's question until someone else has given the correct answer, since the forum rules do not allow for the repping of the same person within a short time-frame. :wink:
No problem.
yawn

Todays rep awarding question is; What is the name of the small table placed within the sanctuary of a church at the 'Epistle' side for the purpose of holding the cruets, chalice, paten. corporal and veil, until the Offertory?

Hah we dont have one so I have no idea.
shinytoy

When I confess - its always like that!
I sort of go through all the stuff I do/don't do to my family and friends - so I am more like 'I do this to my mum ... I am rude to my dad ... I annoy my brother etc.'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending