The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say I get bored as such - we have a new priest and he actually does interesting homilies - but I find it difficult to keep paying attention :colondollar:

Haven't been to Mass since Easter Sunday :no:
Reply 4321
Original post by Aula
depends on who's saying mass, and how tired I am. Especially since learning more about the beauty of the Mass, and the traditions behind it and stuff I usually don't :h:

True dat. thank god its not in latin anymore haha
Original post by Aula
Catholic youth festival, held in the grounds of a Carmelite monastery in Kent.

Oh wow, I love those sort of youth festivals. I use to be in Youth for christ which was part of Couples for Christ. Not sure if you guys heard about it. It was a great experience and enjoyed it but it's been years now :frown:
hello so there is an abortion poll about and i think you catholics should get on the bandwagon of promoting pr-life attitudes! its what Jesus would do, please help out
Over the next week whilst away I am going to read the autobiography of the former Bishop of Derry. When he's been interviewed he's seemed an inspirational man.
Original post by nmccann
True dat. thank god its not in latin anymore haha

I'm with you on the use of local language instead of Latin. Never learnt it in school and to be honest I understand mass better in Dutch or German, even more so in French.
Original post by rac1
sounds good:smile: I'd love to go to that Invocations thing mentioned a few weeks ago but i think it would be too far for a weekend.

I'd love to go to this too my mum wouldn't want me to go on my own and I don't think I'll take well to camping
http://www.youth2000.org/content/searchlight-walsingham

How was corpus christi all?:smile:

Hey Rac,

I have just seen this message and wondered where abouts you live? As Youth 2000 is a great event even if you can come for a few days. Your Diocesan youth office might know of some people going or there might even be a coach going from your area.
Anyone going to Invocation this week? :smile:
Reply 4328
Original post by Bernaaaaaaaa
Anyone going to Invocation this week? :smile:

Me :hi:
Original post by shinytoy
TSR Catholic Society

The Catholic Church is the world’s largest Christian Church with more than one billion members worldwide. Led by the Pope, currently Benedict XVI, it preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ, administers the Seven Sacraments of Christ and practises charity.

The Student Room’s Catholic Society is to provide a voice and gathering place for Student Catholics on the internet; giving us a chance to discuss our wonderful faith and a variety of issues. The Catholic Faith continues to grow worldwide and in this new age of evangelisation we want to make our mark on the internet.

Catholic Links

Vatican City Website

News

Spoiler

Apologetics

Spoiler

Blogs

Spoiler

to join please click http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=96 and the 'join soc' link

much love and God bless xx

My boyfriends catholic.
Reply 4330
Anyone else not been to confession in years and years? Feeiling increasingly guilty, but I can't even remember what you do! :s-smilie:
Original post by InkyOne
Anyone else not been to confession in years and years? Feeiling increasingly guilty, but I can't even remember what you do! :s-smilie:

I hadn't been between my first confession aged 8 and August last year :colondollar: Part of that was also because I had forgotten what to do and was too embarrassed to find out.

Do you know the priest at your parish well enough to ask him about it, or to have a nose around the parish to see what it's like inside the confessional (outside hours, of course!). I'm still not clear on how it's done at my church but I know in the church attached to my secondary school, the confessional is more like a little room and the prayer you have to say at the end is written out and kept by the kneeler, so that you can read it out if you don't know it off by heart.

Personally, I've just resolved the problem by making confession part of my spiritual direction sessions with the priest at aforementioned church opposite school. It's not ideal because I only get to see him about once every 3 months coz he's so busy, but it's a start at least :h:
Reply 4332
Original post by InkyOne

I went yesterday!
Which brings the total number of times I've ever been to 3 :erm:

However, I would definitely say just go. Either go to a youth event where reconciliation will be available, or just go to a priest anytime and start by saying that you've not been for years, and you're not quite sure where to start and that you need his help. A priest yesterday suggested that's what you should do if you're scared/nervous :yep:

(and is more or less what I did... definitely didn't say the things I'm supposed to and stuff)
The priest will just be pleased that you've come back to the sacrament.
Aula's completely right (as always) :yep:

Btw guys, I dunno how many of you will be interested but greeneyedgirl from the TSR Christian Soc (X Soc) has restarted the Bible Soc thread. Right now, we're going through the letter to the Hebrews. The studies are poignant but don't take that much time to do. If you're interested, have a look here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1888906

We did a study of some of the Psalms over Lent and I know that this helped me personally to deal with my Lenten demons :colondollar:
Reply 4334
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I hadn't been between my first confession aged 8 and August last year :colondollar: Part of that was also because I had forgotten what to do and was too embarrassed to find out.

Do you know the priest at your parish well enough to ask him about it, or to have a nose around the parish to see what it's like inside the confessional (outside hours, of course!). I'm still not clear on how it's done at my church but I know in the church attached to my secondary school, the confessional is more like a little room and the prayer you have to say at the end is written out and kept by the kneeler, so that you can read it out if you don't know it off by heart.

Personally, I've just resolved the problem by making confession part of my spiritual direction sessions with the priest at aforementioned church opposite school. It's not ideal because I only get to see him about once every 3 months coz he's so busy, but it's a start at least :h:

Original post by Aula
I went yesterday!
Which brings the total number of times I've ever been to 3 :erm:

However, I would definitely say just go. Either go to a youth event where reconciliation will be available, or just go to a priest anytime and start by saying that you've not been for years, and you're not quite sure where to start and that you need his help. A priest yesterday suggested that's what you should do if you're scared/nervous :yep:

(and is more or less what I did... definitely didn't say the things I'm supposed to and stuff)
The priest will just be pleased that you've come back to the sacrament.

Cheers guys! You've been really reassuring! I'm definitely going before I start uni next year - clean slate and all that! i'll talk to my priest next sunday after mass :smile:
Original post by InkyOne
Cheers guys! You've been really reassuring! I'm definitely going before I start uni next year - clean slate and all that! i'll talk to my priest next sunday after mass :smile:

Happy to help, hun. Hope you'll stick around for Catholic banter :biggrin:
Hello there!

I've posted on this thread several times before, and I am interested in knowing if there are any fellow altar servers in the house? :smile:

I've been altar serving for just over a year, as I was chosen by my priest (who is also a great friend of mine), just after I made my first Holy communion vows through the RCIA 18 months ago.
Reply 4337
Original post by InkyOne

Very welcome! Although if you don't manage to, it's definitely worth talking to your new priest at uni and asking him for help. He'll probably be very used to it.

Original post by wikiellie
Hello there!

I've posted on this thread several times before, and I am interested in knowing if there are any fellow altar servers in the house? :smile:

I've been altar serving for just over a year, as I was chosen by my priest (who is also a great friend of mine), just after I made my first Holy communion vows through the RCIA 18 months ago.

That's very exciting :yep:
I've never served, I've always been in the choir instead. I always think I'd be nervous about doing things wrong if I were a server.
Hey guys just wanted to share this with you, for those of you who would be interested. There is a daily devotion booklet called Living faith and basically gives brief daily catholic devotions based on one of the mass readings for the day. It's really interesting to read, very short and would really give a good start to your day. The book covers a 3 month period, and there are 4 books which cover the year.

Here is a link to the site to get a copy and find out more information. : http://www.livingfaith.com/

Hope you guys enjoy it :smile:
Original post by Aula

That's very exciting :yep:
I've never served, I've always been in the choir instead. I always think I'd be nervous about doing things wrong if I were a server.

I was also in the choir in my parish for a while, as well as being a full-time reader, prayer writer, voluntary cleaner and altar server! :smile:

I think the potential to make mistakes puts many people off altar serving, but Father has always told me that if I bow and make a sign of the cross at the correct times, no one will notice the mistakes! :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending