The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringMedic8
Can I just clarify that I'm not actually pro-contraception? I've just spoken strongly to defend my views that we should not condemn those who are married, doing good, loving their neighbours and happen to be using artificial contraception.

God bless

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter what you think like has been repeatedly told to you. It is what it is and holds true objectively. Contraception is wrong in all cases other than exceptions mentioned (such as rape). No one is condemning anyone, just informing you of what the objective Catholic morality actually is.
Original post by Sylosis
Why so snide? It's only justified in that case so long as it has no post fertilization effects. This is irrelevant to you trying to justify the use of contraception between a married couple. Even if you have good reasons, your views are still wrong as they are not in accordance with God.

I'm not using it to justify contraception use in a married couple. If you noticed, I asked if it was immoral for a raped woman to use the morning after pill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5982
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I am completely against abortion in every circumstance. The morning after pill does not cause abortion, let alone murder. It is completely moral and in accordance with God for a raped woman to take emergency contraception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Abortion is murder because it is premeditated termination of a human life.

The morning after pill, although primarily used to act as a contraceptive, could potentially act as a abortifacient. Either way, any use of contraceptives or abortifacients is sinful in the eyes of the Church.

I cannot judge whether a raped woman should have the right to an abortion (the law of the land grants it to her, I abide to that), but I don't believe that the child she could have potentially conceived has anything to do with the crime.

Instead of taking action against abortion and contraceptives, which is more-or-less impossible given the way society is progressing, I believe we should gradually change our mentality towards them. Then may we have hope to change for the better...
Reply 5983
I'm sorry because this has probably been discussed here before. I've just found out about the pope's questions about divorce, contraception, etc, and I've read those questions have already been released in the UK. Can anyone tell me where I can find those questions? I'd really like to think about them a bit before they arrive here...
Please see this thread and pray for our sister in Christ accordingly :frown:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2506703
I just had a quick look at my profile, didn't know I was a deputy group leader, I'm honoured :colondollar: how did this happen?
Reply 5986
Original post by kath_igidbashian
I just had a quick look at my profile, didn't know I was a deputy group leader, I'm honoured :colondollar: how did this happen?

You were a name I recognised :wink2:
Original post by Aula
You were a name I recognised :wink2:

I see... Makes sense why TLG is also a deputy
Also I've just seen our new front page Yayyy!!
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5988
I see... Makes sense why TLG is also a deputy
Also I've just seen our new front page Yayyy!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you like it :awesome:

I'm contemplating adding some more pictures and stuff, but I don't know what.
Oooh, I'm a deputy? :colone: I hadn't even realised :blush:

Hi, seeming as you are deputy head leader. Congratulations on that :smile:
Can I ask a few questions??
I was just wondering if anyone in this thread has read any of the 7 books of the bible which are recognised by the Catholic church but are considered apocrypha by the protestant churches? I have noticed that all bibles I have come across don't contain those 7 books and only contain the 66 recognised by the protestant church, most likely because we live in a largely protestant country. In fact, I never remember being taught them at my catholic school or church, or in fact any mention being made of them.

I find the whole story of Bel and the Dragon quite an odd but interesting addition to the bible.
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Hi, seeming as you are deputy head leader. Congratulations on that :smile:
Can I ask a few questions??

Sure, might not be able to answer everything but I'll try...
and thanks btw :smile:
Original post by The Epicurean
I was just wondering if anyone in this thread has read any of the 7 books of the bible which are recognised by the Catholic church but are considered apocrypha by the protestant churches? I have noticed that all bibles I have come across don't contain those 7 books and only contain the 66 recognised by the protestant church, most likely because we live in a largely protestant country. In fact, I never remember being taught them at my catholic school or church, or in fact any mention being made of them.

I find the whole story of Bel and the Dragon quite an odd but interesting addition to the bible.

Hasn't actually heard about that, do you know what the other books are called? Might have to look it up online

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kurama
Abortion is murder because it is premeditated termination of a human life.

The morning after pill, although primarily used to act as a contraceptive, could potentially act as a abortifacient. Either way, any use of contraceptives or abortifacients is sinful in the eyes of the Church.

I cannot judge whether a raped woman should have the right to an abortion (the law of the land grants it to her, I abide to that), but I don't believe that the child she could have potentially conceived has anything to do with the crime.

Instead of taking action against abortion and contraceptives, which is more-or-less impossible given the way society is progressing, I believe we should gradually change our mentality towards them. Then may we have hope to change for the better...

You're still not grasping this and it's becoming quite annoying. I am against abortion. I never asked why it was murder.

And, you go on to talk about giving a raped woman an abortion. Let me be clear I am not talking about abortion, I am talking about the morning after pill!

You're wrong. The use of emergency contraception in cases of rape is not sinful and completely in line with the church's views. In fact, catholic hospitals regularly give EC to women who have been raped all over the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hasn't actually heard about that, do you know what the other books are called? Might have to look it up online

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome.
Okay so what's the difference between yourself and the Roman catholic church?
And why do believe God to consist of three things? I thought there was only one god so how can he be divided into three things??
Also sorry can you explain in simple terms Ive not got experience of that much terminology.
You're welcome.
And why do believe God to consist of three things? I thought there was only one god so how can he be divided into three things??
Also sorry can you explain in simple terms Ive not got experience of that much terminology.

1) no difference, Catholic is the same as Roman Catholic (as far as I'm aware, if anyone wants to correct me go ahead...), it's interchangeable terms, the Pop is in the Vatican, which is in Rome.
2)It is only one God, but takes three forms - Father,Son, Holy Spirit. Think of a shamrock, the famous St. Patrick explanation, it has the main stem but three leaves, though you still say it's only one shamrock NOT three.
(The Trinity is a bugger to explain, theologians find it hard to explain, so again anyone who can give a better explanation than me, feel free...)

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by The Epicurean

I've read the Book of... Tobit? I think that's the one. The one with an (arch?)angel in it. It was a while ago when I was quite ill and looking into angels, so I don't really remember that much about it tbh :colondollar:
Reply 5997

Any approved Catholic version of the Bible will have the deuterocanonical books in them - try a New Jerusalem Bible. That's the translation I like the most :yep:

There's all sorts of odd books that I never realised weren't accepted by others. Judith and parts of Esther, for example - two of my favourites. The bits of Tobit that I've read, I've enjoyed too. Oh, and not forgetting Wisdom. :yep:

You're welcome.

The Roman Catholic church is led by the Pope in Rome, who, we believe, is the direct spiritual descendant of St. Peter.
The word Catholic means universal - so you get other churches who also call themselves Catholic, and are linked to the RC church - Greek Catholic, for example.

In addition to the shamrock description, I've heard it described as being like water. You get water in three distinct forms - solid (ice), liquid (water), and gad (water vapour). Whichever form it's in, it's still water.
It is worth pointing out though, that
Original post by Aula

There's all sorts of odd books that I never realised weren't accepted by others. Judith and parts of Esther, for example - two of my favourites.

Seriously?!?!? Esther is one of my favourite books too. Who would leave that out and for what reason?!?!? :cry2:
Reply 5999
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Seriously?!?!? Esther is one of my favourite books too. Who would leave that out and for what reason?!?!? :cry2:

It's not the whole of Esther, just parts of it I believe. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending