The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Original post by barnetlad
The beatification has been postponed at the request of the Holy See.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2019/12/03/fulton-sheen-beatification-postponed/

Didn't expect this. Seems quite sketchy, since his niece had to battle with the archdiocese of New York to get his remains to Peoria. And it was only on the condition his body was in Peoria could his beautification go ahead. I'm inclined to think the mistreatment of Fulton Sheen from the archdiocese of New York in 1950/60s has something to do with it

Sad, since Fulton Sheen is one of the reasons I still have an interest in Catholicism and religion in general.
(edited 4 years ago)
The beatification has been postponed at the request of the Holy See.

https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2019/12/03/fulton-sheen-beatification-postponed/

Quite sad to see an inspirational man and one who gave many great sermons having his beatification postponed.
I recently wanted to explore more about catholic faith and my understanding of things. would also like to add that experience here. unsure how to start other than covering the who what where when how why -

would others have suggestions?

p.s. I am catholic
Original post by da_nolo
I recently wanted to explore more about catholic faith and my understanding of things. would also like to add that experience here. unsure how to start other than covering the who what where when how why -

p.s. I am catholic

Are you most interested in exploring catholicism from a theological, historical or faith based viewpoint?
Pacem in terris is a very interesting read from all three angles.

The writings of John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul II, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and Pius XI are good places to start.
Plenty of papal encyclicals, books and apostolic exhortations- most available with english language translations.
Original post by londonmyst
Are you most interested in exploring catholicism from a theological, historical or faith based viewpoint?
Pacem in terris is a very interesting read from all three angles.

The writings of John XXIII, Paul VI, John Paul II, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI and Pius XI are good places to start.
Plenty of papal encyclicals, books and apostolic exhortations- most available with english language translations.

wow that is a good question. I am not sure...how to respond. ha ha.
perhaps if I cover who or what I can start with theological?

thank you for your reference
Original post by da_nolo

p.s. I am catholic

Fr. (now bishop) Robert Barron's 'Catholicism' series is supposed to be quite good, however, the whole thing cost $50. 1 part is available via his website https://www.wofdigital.org/packages/catholicism-series/videos/catholictv-catholicismep1-hd-1080p

I need to do the same as you given my agnosticism (despite being confirmed and all that) lol
Original post by Ben878
Fr. (now bishop) Robert Barron's 'Catholicism' series is supposed to be quite good, however, the whole thing cost $50. 1 part is available via his website https://www.wofdigital.org/packages/catholicism-series/videos/catholictv-catholicismep1-hd-1080p

I need to do the same as you given my agnosticism (despite being confirmed and all that) lol

thanks for help. ill look at it all.
The season of Lent begins on Wednesday. For most people this is identified as a time to give up something they enjoy (sweets, alcoholic drink perhaps?), especially for those you know who are of a different Christian tradition.

A thought is whether or not it should be about something you do extra, not just something you don't.
The season of Lent begins on Wednesday. For most people this is identified as a time to give up something they enjoy (sweets, alcoholic drink perhaps?), especially for those you know who are of a different Christian tradition.

A thought is whether or not it should be about something you do extra, not just something you don't.

I have been planning to give up sweets.

I plan on replacing the time I use for social media/whatever at night with some spiritual reading/regular reading. An exchange, so both removal and addition of something.
Original post by frankafru
spiritual reading

Any recommendations?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Any recommendations?

Lent with St. Bernard: A Devotional Commentary on Psalm Ninety-one (Mowbray & Co., 1954) strikes my interest. Has a lot of stuff that can help my trust in God, since sometimes I get anxious about the future. I think I should read more of Pope Francis' letters too, since they have some really good one-liners from time to time.

One is hopefully take up some more focused silence, reducing the amount of exterior distractions and influences, perhaps in a spiritual manner if time and place permits. Posting that here because the idea came to me after picking up Cardinal Sarah's "The Power of Silence: Against the Dictatorship of Noise" - he did a talk on the topics in the book which I'll link here for any of you who'd be interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5ot_w0EE4&feature=youtu.be&t=308
I have a book of prayers and readings in French, which will make me think more carefully about the meaning and text. I am going to be on a retreat staying at the guest house of a monastery.
The priest this morning suggested a way of ensuring that you are washing your hands for the period recommended given Covid 19. The length of time it takes to say the Lord's Prayer.
The priest this morning suggested a way of ensuring that you are washing your hands for the period recommended given Covid 19. The length of time it takes to say the Lord's Prayer.

Latin or English?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Latin or English?

I assume in English as we do not have services in Latin (only ever been to two ever). I was in Belgium recently and did say the Lord's Prayer in Dutch several times but cannot recite it off by heart.

On that topic, had an old friend who made this come up in my feed:

https://www.facebook.com/CatholicMemebase/videos/1093953684299607/
Original post by Ben878
On that topic, had an old friend who made this come up in my feed:

https://www.facebook.com/CatholicMemebase/videos/1093953684299607/

Ha!
Pope Francis has been Pope for seven years now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending