The Student Room Group

psychology or economics AS?

hey..
ive alreade decided on maths, biology, chemistry - and i really want to do medicine when im older. considering how hard alevels can be, im looking for an easier route.. so im thinking psychology? but i've heard economics is really well recognised by unis at AS..

anyone who does one or both? or anyone with views on this to help please do !

thanks a lot ! x
Reply 1
I do both, I'd say psychology is easier and would probably better for medicine, but my teacher for economics just bores me and I end up not paying attention/not understanding anything, lots of people say its common sense but their is more to it, psychology takes a lot of remembering things but thats about it, up to you, gl :wink:
Reply 2
Well, I do Economics, and it's a good subject for you if you like current affairs/understanding what's going on in the news, because you see some of the things you're being taught in class actually happening in real life!

As for how well it combines with your other choices, I've taken similar subjects to the ones you're looking at (Maths, Physics, Chemistry), and I think it offers something different while still being vaguely related to Maths, so it puts a bit more variety on your timetable than Psychology does.

I don't really have much knowledge of Psychology other than that friends who are taking it say it's mostly taking/memorising notes, so if you like that sort of thing it could be a good fit.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you think YOU will find most interesting and enjoyable - there's no point taking Economics just because some universities like it if you hate the subject!
Reply 3
Original post by sabrina_96
hey..
ive alreade decided on maths, biology, chemistry - and i really want to do medicine when im older. considering how hard alevels can be, im looking for an easier route.. so im thinking psychology? but i've heard economics is really well recognised by unis at AS..

anyone who does one or both? or anyone with views on this to help please do !

thanks a lot ! x

Hey there,

I studied psychology at AS and A2 and found it enjoyable because I had a great interest in it. From what I've read, I would believe that psychology would be the right way of going about it, as it does link in with your other subjects. However, I do believe economics (even though i haven't studied it, I know a liitle about it) is recognised more by uni's but I can say for sure that there is more work to do at AS level. :smile:
Reply 4
Psychology! It's so interesting and fits in nicely with biology and chemistry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks everyone!! i chose economics, but this is still a pending decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest