The Student Room Group

Have you ever been Mugged/ Attacked in the street?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zuki
Woa is his eyesight okay?

Yeah, luckily there weren't any serious injuries.
I feel bad for him, he's scared of black males in public now
Reply 41
I've been attacked once and got mugged. Not sure how many people there were maybe 2/3 I got hit on the back of the head I dropped to the floor got kicked a couple of times in the head and my phone was stolen. I got some stitches in my eyebrow. I remember getting up and walking back home and not being able to see properly because the blood that was coming out of the cut was dripping down and kind of stuck my eyelashes together. I got a few looks like what the hell happen to you whilst walking back home but nobody offered to help. Stuck in A&E for like 12 hours.
This thread scares me. :frown:
A friend told me someone he knew was getting mugged, and the mugger says 'Give me your phone' and the guy is like 'Do you mind, I'm on the phone!' and walked on.

I don't know if it's true but it sounded funny!
Reply 44
Original post by joey11223
won't they sort of go for you because you got out of their way though? Like it shows your scared, damned if you do damned if you don't sort of thing. I'll admit I'm pretty weak so I usually try and smooth talk my way out of rough spots, it has worked before, but it won't always obviously.

I don't think the areas we're going are too rough and we're trying to catch buses and stuff so we're not walking down streets for ages that we don't know.

We're staying in a flat in West Kensington, will probably go to the Westfields shopping centre in Shepherds bush. Possibly go to Hammersmith, but we might not. Then maybe Camden market. Otherwise it'll be more in the centre, Natural History Museum, London Aquarium, maybe London zoo etc.

I suppose Nottingham isn't exactly safe and I've never been mugged/attacked in the centre city. Just keep clear of those who are standing around yelling and obviously drunk. I've only had hassle in Beeston and that's meant to be more student area. Though so many pubs in such a small proximity leads to brawls outside, used to have an ambulance parked up every evening just in case, not so much any more, it's getting too expensive to drink out every night I guess.

Sounds to me like you'll be in the nicer areas of London anyway. Just don't stay in Camden after about 11pm, that's when all the wierdos wake up.
Use public transport when you can and if in doubt take a black cab.
Being from Hackney, I would advise you to avoid most of Tower Hamlets, Bow and all of Tottenham. (Btw if you read my earlier post, don't get put off, that isn't a normal thing to happen).
As you live(?) in Nottingham I'd day just do the same thing you do at home.
The stepping off the pavement thing - If you don't slow down it just looks like you've got somewhere to be and you know where you're going, imo. Walking through a group can so easily get misconstrued as some kind of challenge.
Obviously guys tend to get more hassle, but you should be alright if with someone. I would be very surprised if you had any problems in the areas you're intending to go anyway.
Also, even though it's darker in winter, it's also colder so most people (potential muggers included) will stay in doors. I think London is more dangerous when the weather's nice..
Not sure what else you want to know really - you seem to have planned your trip well.
Original post by eagleowl
At the time I just got really REALLY angry and started fighting back until more people turned up and then they ran away. When they were gone my friend was looking at me like :eek:
I didn't cry until my mum saw me and started crying.. :frown:

Awwwww!
Not many ppl would take a beating for a friend.
Why'd they attack him anyway?
Reply 46
Original post by chocoholic.
Awwwww!
Not many ppl would take a beating for a friend.
Why'd they attack him anyway?

They took offence to his long hair.
Reply 47
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
I was once politely mugged... Two notorious brothers, one in particular, of the area approached me at a bus stop and said they had no money for the train. They asked whether I could spare them some change (it wasn't even a large amount), and I, being aware of their reputations, readily obliged. So I wasn't exactly forced to hand over the money, but if I had refused, I think there would have been some ugly repercussions. They did seem genuinely grateful, though, and they actually thanked me which was nice.

I had a similar encounter with a couple guys a few days ago, except I was in a group of 3 guys so we outnumbered them. :smile:

When they asked whether we had any change I was sure we were about to be mugged. We said no, and kept going.

Maybe they were just trying to get home at 12 at night, in the middle of the "bad part" of town...:ashamed:
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
I was once politely mugged... Two notorious brothers, one in particular, of the area approached me at a bus stop and said they had no money for the train. They asked whether I could spare them some change (it wasn't even a large amount), and I, being aware of their reputations, readily obliged. So I wasn't exactly forced to hand over the money, but if I had refused, I think there would have been some ugly repercussions. They did seem genuinely grateful, though, and they actually thanked me which was nice.

A few years later I heard they were imprisoned for kidnapping and torturing, with a BB gun, a Pakistani fella...

Thank God you mentioned that, without that one word the whole post would've been a blur to me:colonhash:
Nope. Most of my friends tend to be surprised by this. :dontknow:
Original post by eagleowl
They took offence to his long hair.

Aha.

How long could it have been?
Reply 51
Original post by james22

Original post by james22
One of my mates Dad was once jumped by 6 guys, not realizing he was a Jujitsu world champion. Needless to say by the end of it there were 6 people in a lot of pain.

Brazilian Jujitsu?
Seems very unlikely, BJJ is kinda usless against multiple opponents...or you mean Japanese Jujitsu?
Reply 52
Twice, one was successful the other wasn't.

The successful one, was as I was walking home in London, two dudes cornered me and told me to give them my on hand belonging's, they had knifes so I didn't bother arguing, I was a little shaken but not as much as I would have thought.

The not successful one was at Basildon in Essex. Around the back of a retail park one guy tried to intimidate me into giving him the money I just got out of a cash machine, he also had no weapon on him from view (and didn't on person fortunately), so I just went into him, walked a distance away and called the police telling them someone attempted to mug me and I defended myself.
nearly. me and my cousin were being stalked by this weird looking dude. he was talking about us on the phone to some other guy. we ran, and lost him. that was kinda scary :frown:
When I was 10 or 11, me, my little sister (who must have been 8 at the time) and my older brother (he must have been 12 or 13) got threatened with a pen knife by some older teenagers (they must have been something like 15). They also kept holding a cigarette menacingly close to my little sister's hair. They weren't trying to get anything off us, just following us and being really intimidating and saying stuff.

Eventually they got bored and left us alone and we went home and told my mum and dad who called the police. My brother knew who they were so they tracked them down, but can't remember what came of it, think they just got cautions and the knives confiscated. :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by chocoholic.
Aha.

How long could it have been?

It was collar length. Supposedly long enough to be gay anyway. *rolls eyes*
Original post by SmallSoldiers
I'm 6'2 and 220 lbs of muscle. No one in their right mind would dare attack me.

You remind me of Ross Kemp on Extras!

Quite a while ago these two were walking towards me so I crossed the road, I knew I was in for it as soon as they crossed as well

There were two of them, they were bigger and taller so I didnt even bother trying to get away. They caught up with me and said "alright just give us you're stuff and we'll let you go". Luckily I had the ****test phone known to man so I gladly offered it and thanked him as I needed an excuse to get a new one

Needless to say they took one look at it and told me to keep it, that it was worth nothing. As I started to walk off they shouted to me warning me that there was a group of 5-6 guys down the road and to be careful

It was kinda confusing, the guys trying to take my stuff warning me... Best part about this situation? I've got a hidden inside pocket on my jacket, it had my wallet with about £50 and my iPod touch in it. They didn't even realise :thumbsup:
Reply 58
Original post by heidigirl
When I was 10 or 11, me, my little sister (who must have been 8 at the time) and my older brother (he must have been 12 or 13) got threatened with a pen knife by some older teenagers (they must have been something like 15). They also kept holding a cigarette menacingly close to my little sister's hair. They weren't trying to get anything off us, just following us and being really intimidating and saying stuff.

Eventually they got bored and left us alone and we went home and told my mum and dad who called the police. My brother knew who they were so they tracked them down, but can't remember what came of it, think they just got cautions and the knives confiscated. :dontknow:

the police will never do anything about younger kids causing problems like this.
once when i was about 12 or something I had my bike taken from me in the street by 3 lads who we're about 16 i'd say.
Somebody saw where they took the bike so i just went and got it back, it was some bushes, and they ran off when i started walking over, i have no idea why, there was 3 of them and they were much older. They'd tried to spray paint it black, so i did have a half black bike from then on, haha.

My mum made us go to the police station about it. and some people that saw the lads take my bike knew who they were so we were able to give names, they actually didn't live to far from me.
But the police openly told us when we got there that despite taking all the information from us about the incident, they weren't going to do anything about it. because they were teenagers.
Original post by james22
One of my mates Dad was once jumped by 6 guys, not realizing he was a Jujitsu world champion. Needless to say by the end of it there were 6 people in a lot of pain.

Then I woke up from this fantasy that wouldn't even take place in my wildest dreams :rolleyes:

^ Corrected.
When I hear stories like this I always sit and wonder, why the hell haven't I or any of my friends experienced this or witnessed it. But when I think about it, the only time I`ve seen this was in a movie. And in reality if 6 guys all decide to jump you at the same time you're a ****ing goner regardless of how many fighting styles you've mastered. So seriously, just stop bull****ting.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending