The Student Room Group

Can you buy video games with an expired passport?

Hi, I'm going to be turning 18 this week and I was just wondering. Would I be able to buy the following two games with an expired passport for ID use.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (BBFC: 15 PEGI: 18)

Assassin's Creed: Revalations BBFC 15 PEGI 16+ (I think)

Whenver I go into stores I usually get ID'd and before my passport expired I was alright. However, I have not purchased any games since then and my passport photo is of myself as an 11 possibly 12 year old.

I have no other form of valid ID. And they will likely not except my 16+ oyster card or College ID card. Therefore, I am wondering whether my expired passport would work for purchase of the two games above.

I have had barely any time to re new my passport hence why I'm asking.

Scroll to see replies

Buy them online. Sometime they'll be alright, sometimes they wont. Perhaps you should think about getting a provisional liscence?
Reply 2
Original post by dragon500uk
Buy them online. Sometime they'll be alright, sometimes they wont. Perhaps you should think about getting a provisional liscence?

I would consider a provisional licence but at this point I'm not planning to drive. Furthermore, I'd have to spend even more money on lessons. I'm planning to start driving after university.
Original post by Sleeping Egg
I would consider a provisional licence but at this point I'm not planning to drive. Furthermore, I'd have to spend even more money on lessons. I'm planning to start driving after university.
You don't need lessons to get a licence, and once you finish uni you can get lessons and don't have to worry about getting a licence as you've already got one :smile:
Reply 4
Either get them online, Or invest in new ID.

Saying that, I purchased GTA in HMV when I was like 14
Reply 5
Original post by RunDMC
Either get them online, Or invest in new ID.

Saying that, I purchased GTA in HMV when I was like 14

I don't have paypal or a debit card. That's the problem with buying online.
Reply 6
I don't have paypal or a debit card. That's the problem with buying online.

The ****? Seriously, I had a cash card at 15.

Get a provisional license or some fresh immigration papers.
Reply 7
Honestly, I really doubt they'd have a problem with it. Often as I'm getting out my passport they know I'm not bull****ting and just say it's fine.

If they ask why you're using an expired one just tell them the truth, though I genuinely doubt they'll even notice it's expired or bother to look at the picture. Tbh I'd strongly doubt if you get it from GAME they'd even ask you for ID.

EMZ=]
Reply 8
[QUOTE="Egg;34884809" Sleeping="Sleeping"]
Original post by RunDMC
The ****? Seriously, I had a cash card at 15.

Get a provisional license or some fresh immigration papers.[/QUOTE]

Look mate, I'm British. I'm sorry that I don't have a 'cash card' or 'debit card' at this point I can't help that. All I'm asking is a simple ****ing question and all I want is a simple ****ing answer.

Now, take your head out of your arse. Look at your computer screen, log out of TSR, and turn your computer off.

I know it may be a hassle, but if you're going to uni soon then you really will need a debit card and driving license at the very least. Not just for buying games, but for other things as well.

For your original question, it would probably depend on the policy of the store.
Reply 9

Look mate, I'm British. I'm sorry that I don't have a 'cash card' or 'debit card' at this point I can't help that. All I'm asking is a simple ****ing question and all I want is a simple ****ing answer.

Now, take your head out of your arse. Look at your computer screen, log out of TSR, and turn your computer off.

Then purchase a new passport, Dum ****.
Reply 10
Original post by Emor
Honestly, I really doubt they'd have a problem with it. Often as I'm getting out my passport they know I'm not bull****ting and just say it's fine.

If they ask why you're using an expired one just tell them the truth, though I genuinely doubt they'll even notice it's expired or bother to look at the picture. Tbh I'd strongly doubt if you get it from GAME they'd even ask you for ID.

EMZ=]

Excellent thank you very much. At least I've got a simple answer now.
Definitely get a provisional license, I don't drive yet either but it's really useful as ID.

Not sure about your passport as it's expired, they might be funny about it.
This may sound weird, but if you don't have a debit card, are you sure your bank know your age? I didn't have a debit card until I was 17, and when I went to the bank to get one it turned out that because - for some reason - they didn't know my age, they didn't send me one automatically when I turned 14. Not entirely certain how they didn't know my age as surely my DOB must have been on my records, but there we go.

You will find though as you're going to university that you will need proof of ID, and that will either be a valid passport or a driving licence, so you will need to get one or the other. A driving licence is easier as that can fit in your wallet, and you don't actually need to be able to drive or have any lessons to get a provisional.

I wanted to help you, I really did.

Anyways, just try and blag it in Game/Gamestation, take your head out of your arse, and go give it a shot. Speaking from experience, the people asking don't want to turn you down, that's awkward for everyone. They'll be relieved when you offer your passport, and kids age so fast they wont care.

For the record OP, don't insult people trying to help you.

P.S.

Is your passport 'cut' in the top right hand corner? This makes it void, and they're legally obliged to confiscate it if you attempt to use it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14

Wow, so you're a dickhead. Everyone here has given good advice so stop moaning. And yes you can help that, just get a debit card.
From working at Game we have to check pretty much everything. I may forget to check the expiry date, but I'm still quite new. I just look at the dob usually. But I'd say invest in a provisional. I bought one so that'd I'd use it for ID when I'm out. And I've only just started learning to drive.
Reply 16
I personally never notice if a passport is expired, maybe I should look more clearly. As long as the person is old enough to buy what they want to buy I wouldn't mind the passport being just expired. I doubt they will notice. But I do recommend getting yourself a provisional license, it's a lot easier to carry around.
Definitely get a provisional! It's £20 and realistically the best form of ID you can get. Do you want to have to take a £100 passport out with you every time you go to a pub :-/ ?
Reply 18
Original post by scribble_girl
Definitely get a provisional! It's £20 and realistically the best form of ID you can get. Do you want to have to take a £100 passport out with you every time you go to a pub :-/ ?

A provisional is £20?
Last time I checked (when I got one, at the age of 16 (you're allowed to apply 3 months before your 17th birthday before someone flips their ****)) it was £50...
Reply 19
Original post by scribble_girl

Provisionals are like £60 now :eek: but yeh you still need to get one for going out to nightclubs etc, less likely to lose it then a passport on your nights out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending