The Student Room Group

Is doing a Ouija board a good idea ?

Scroll to see replies

OP, only use them if you've done protective spells etc.
Otherwise, NO.
Reply 21
Original post by HellOnHighHeels
OP, only use them if you've done protective spells etc.
Otherwise, NO.

Yeah, this is the general advice for hasbro trademarked games.
Reply 22
Given how fundamentally Christian large parts of the US are, it's very odd that anyone would believe that Ouija boards are inherently connected to the supernatural.

The Ouija board was invented by Parker Brothers along with things like Risk, and was enjoyed as a family board game in the United States for many years (although it wasn't particularly popular).

Only after the release of The Exorcist was any connection made between Ouija Boards and the occult - possibly because at the time, the film was such a system shock that people were willing to believe anything). This was exacerbated by a mid-80s low budget horror film The Witchboard, which directly correlated Ouija Boards to demonic possession.

The rest, unfortunately is history.
You might as well ask if playing Monopoly is a good idea.

If you like board games, go for it.
Reply 24
Its super dangerous.

My cousin's friend's mate met a guy in a pub who had a dog who's last owner's daughter died messing with this stuff....

Edit: I didn't realise so many people belive this stuff... I'm tempted to make a poll
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Hanvyj
Its super dangerous.

My cousin's friend's mate met a guy in a pub who had a dog who's last owner's daughter died messing with this stuff....

Edit: I didn't realise so many people belive this stuff... I'm tempted to make a poll

I think most of them be trolling hunny.
Reply 26
I've summoned up the forces of evil several times on a ouiji board. They are all on X factor now.
Reply 27
my friends and I used to play with one when we were about 11 or 12. at that time i was convinced it worked, but looking back it could have been someone moving the glass or "subconcious vibrations" in our fingertips or whatever....there was one really freaky incident though: once we had the TV on mute while we were playing with the board and a good music video came up, so we wanted to turn on the volume. more or less for fun we asked the "ghost" whether he'd mind if we turned on the volume and it said yes. but we didn't care, so wanted to put it on anyway but the remote wouldn't work. we pressed all the buttons, nothing happened, then we got scared, let go off the glass and tried to turn the telly off and on (not on the remote but on the actual telly) but that wouldn't work either! we removed the glass from the board and blew air in it (because we thought that's the way to get rid of the ghost) and weirdly enough after we did that both the remote control and the telly were working absolutely normally. i'm not telling this story as a proof that it actually works, i don't know why this happened, it was just freaking me out at the time.
Reply 28
Original post by Like a BAWS
A group of 4-8 of us are considering doing a Ouija board together for a laugh. None of us are religious , but are all fairly open-minded to it. We're thinking of doing it in an abandoned building for the true atmosphere. Or theres a woods by us where someone hung themselves, and theres a tiny building in there we could do it in,that could be freaky too !

We all got really excited till our RE teacher, who even though isnt religious herself, said its a really bad idea to mess around with stuff we dont fully understand , and that there could be terrible consequences.

Is she just fear-mongering or should we genuinely be concerned with doing it ? Anyone here done it themselves and have anything to share ? Or any advice at all ? :smile:

Will there be a pleb with a shaky-cam so I can watch the events in a years time.
TSR Demon Activity.
Reply 29
it's weird how there's so many people that'll laugh at the idea of ghosts, but then warn you against doing a ouija board!
Reply 30
Original post by Trigger
I think most of them be trolling hunny.

phew, makes me a little happier for humanity. I prefer my trolls painfully obvious.

...also, whats with the "honey"?
Original post by Wookie42
Know someone who got pretty messed up when she fooled around with something she didn't fully understand and that put me off plenty

Was she in Jumanji?
Reply 32
Original post by The Real Quaid
Was she in Jumanji?

Look, I really don't care whether or not doing Ouija boards and all that jazz holds any danger, but I just don't see the point in messing around with it to find out. I mean, what do people get out of doing them? Pointless.
Reply 33
Original post by Hanvyj
phew, makes me a little happier for humanity. I prefer my trolls painfully obvious.

...also, whats with the "honey"?

Hunny...

Sorry does it offend you? Its just a friendly term :erm:
Reply 34
Original post by Trigger
Hunny...

Sorry does it offend you? Its just a friendly term :erm:

Don't get called that alot, being male, except maybe by dinnerladies in first school lol
Reply 35
It depends on how mentally fragile you are.

It really wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Although some people are spooked beforehand and will start to read too much in to the "signs" and become messed up.
ideomotor response
Reply 37
Original post by Hanvyj
Don't get called that alot, being male, except maybe by dinnerladies in first school lol
I'm not a dinner lady...
Reply 38
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You might as well ask if playing Monopoly is a good idea.

If you like board games, go for it.

Havn't you ever seen the freaky stuff that happens when you play Monopoly? Look away for a minute and all the 500s are myteriously gone and there are more houses and hotels on the board.

:iiam:
Reply 39
Lol that's EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that post :biggrin:

In all honesty OP, why would you want to anyway? Yh fair enough its spooky, but actually think about it - what could possibly make it move? Its not metal, so no sort of magnetic field...even if its not demons/ghosts, its weird ish nonetheless

I mean of all the stories you've heard, no one has come back and said "hey lads, that Ouija board was great fun[I/]" have they? So no...just to be on the safe side

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending