The Student Room Group

University Choices HELP!!

I want to do mechanical enginering but Im confused about universitys:s-smilie:
My GCSEs are 1A*7As2Bs
My AS Levels (low due to 5 subjects)ABBCE.I dropped french(E) this year and my teachers have predicted me ABBB but Im sure I will get AABB easily but Im not sure which universitys to apply to from;
Birmingham(AAB),Leeds(AAB),City Uni340points,Lpool(BBB),Queen Mary(ABB),Lufbra(ABB) or sussex(ABB)? I was thinking if I apply to birminbham,leeds,city,sussex,lufbra or is that being over optimistic?

Scroll to see replies

Not over optimistic at all, which subject though? General competitiveness will play a part. I would keep liverpool over Sussex, it's a good backup and in general has a better rep I think?
Reply 2
first of all, if you wanna apply to a uni learn how to spell its name... *Loughborough, not "lufbra"...

Leeds I can tell you reject anyone whose predicted grades don't meet their entrance requirements. So in your case, you'll get rejected as you are only predicted 1 A. Check each unis policy on predicted grades and entrance requirements, but I applied to Leeds and as they are very popular they are very very strict about who they even look at - and it isn' those whose predicted grades don't match!

as for the others, City and Liverpool seem like good back ups, + Birmingham, Queen Mary and Sussex all seem like realistic choices.
Original post by goussberry
first of all, if you wanna apply to a uni learn how to spell its name... *Loughborough, not "lufbra"...

Leeds I can tell you reject anyone whose predicted grades don't meet their entrance requirements. So in your case, you'll get rejected as you are only predicted 1 A. Check each unis policy on predicted grades and entrance requirements, but I applied to Leeds and as they are very popular they are very very strict about who they even look at - and it isn' those whose predicted grades don't match!

as for the others, City and Liverpool seem like good back ups, + Birmingham, Queen Mary and Sussex all seem like realistic choices.

Thank you for your advice! I respect your opinion ! Do you realise the short form of loughbourgh is lufbra! And the universits students unions site also is called lufbra I rest my case!
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Not over optimistic at all, which subject though? General competitiveness will play a part. I would keep liverpool over Sussex, it's a good backup and in general has a better rep I think?

Mechanical Engineering:d
Original post by razmazterz
Mechanical Engineering:d

Pretty competitive, as long as you A was in Maths and your Bs were Physics and hopefully Further Maths you should be fine! :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Pretty competitive, as long as you A was in Maths and your Bs were Physics and hopefully Further Maths you should be fine! :smile:

I know its competive:/ My A was in spanish B-Maths C-physics B-Chemistry But I know my C in physics will be an A at the end of this year:/ But Im still not sure which universitys to apply to./
Reply 7
Thank you for your advice! I respect your opinion ! Do you realise the short form of loughbourgh is lufbra! And the universits students unions site also is called lufbra I rest my case!

The Leeds thing isn't an opinion m'love, it's a fact! As for the Loughborough things, you're still spelling it wrong even in full hahah, but fair play
The Leeds thing isn't an opinion m'love, it's a fact! As for the Loughborough things, you're still spelling it wrong even in full hahah, but fair play

Its fact:redface: surely must be having some evidence then? :L
Reply 9
Its fact:redface: surely must be having some evidence then? :L

You want evidence? Here is your evidence, from the engineering undergraduate admissions policy:

Unsuccessful applicants
19. Reasons for unsuccessful applications
Due to the volume of applications received and limits on the number of places available we may have to reject not only students who already hold or are predicted lower than the typical entry requirement but also many students who meet the typical requirement. Applications which are unsuccessful may be considered for alternative programmes within the Faculty.

Don't believe me? Go to the faculty of engineering website for Leeds, find their admissions policy, scroll down. It's there in black and white.

My point: proven.

Oh and PS: your grammar is atrocious still! "must be having some evidence"?? No no love, it's: "surely there must be some evidence" :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
You want evidence? Here is your evidence, from the engineering undergraduate admissions policy:

Unsuccessful applicants
19. Reasons for unsuccessful applications
Due to the volume of applications received and limits on the number of places available we may have to reject not only students who already hold or are predicted lower than the typical entry requirement but also many students who meet the typical requirement. Applications which are unsuccessful may be considered for alternative programmes within the Faculty.

Don't believe me? Go to the faculty of engineering website for Leeds, find their admissions policy, scroll down. It's there in black and white.

My point: proven.

Oh and PS: your grammar is atrocious still! "must be having some evidence"?? No no love, it's: "surely there must be some evidence" :wink:

Thank you for your information! But your point is not fully proven; you said Leeds dont accept anyone who dont meet the requirments, but according to the information that you provided it says "WE MAY" Your point:not proven.:cool:
But anyways thank you for telling me that information, I was not aware of that.
Dont worry about my grammer love !:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you for your information! But your point is not fully proven; you said Leeds dont accept anyone who dont meet the requirments, but according to the information that you provided it says "WE MAY" Your point:not proven.:cool:
But anyways thank you for telling me that information, I was not aware of that.
Dont worry about my grammer love !:rolleyes:

I'm an English student, how can I NOT worry about your grammar?? :wink:

Okay well it's your application places to waste, not mine!
With regards to Birmingham, I'm in second year and unless they change the system it is very easy to move up from a BEng to MEng (I say that, if you get a 2:1 in the second year you can, but everyone is pooled together y1/2).
I'm an English student, how can I NOT worry about your grammar?? :wink:

Okay well it's your application places to waste, not mine!

Hahahah:P
Im still not sure about Leeds maybe in the end I listen to you:tongue:, But it would be my first choice.
What about birmingham, do you know anything about their admission policy?
Thank you anyway:smile:
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
With regards to Birmingham, I'm in second year and unless they change the system it is very easy to move up from a BEng to MEng (I say that, if you get a 2:1 in the second year you can, but everyone is pooled together y1/2).

I am applying to BEng an their requirments are AAB, the thing is I got ABBCE in my AS Levels (and the B-Math,C-physics) but I am confident in getting AAAB(although my teachers are predciting me ABBB) do you think I they would consider me?
I am applying to BEng an their requirments are AAB, the thing is I got ABBCE in my AS Levels (and the B-Math,C-physics) but I am confident in getting AAAB(although my teachers are predciting me ABBB) do you think I they would consider me?

I can't say, though I know some people who didn't make the grades after offer but still got in.
Reply 16
Hahahah:P
Im still not sure about Leeds maybe in the end I listen to you:tongue:, But it would be my first choice.
What about birmingham, do you know anything about their admission policy?
Thank you anyway:smile:

Yes Leeds is my first choice too...

No nothing about Birmingham, contact them to ask!
Yes Leeds is my first choice too...

No nothing about Birmingham, contact them to ask!

I have already contacted them and they had said they would certainly consider my application, but I was wondering if you knew any addition information:wink:
Which other universities are you applying for/ have you applied for?
Reply 18
I want to do mechanical enginering but Im confused about universitys:s-smilie:
My GCSEs are 1A*7As2Bs
My AS Levels (low due to 5 subjects)ABBCE.I dropped french(E) this year and my teachers have predicted me ABBB but Im sure I will get AABB easily but Im not sure which universitys to apply to from;
Birmingham(AAB),Leeds(AAB),City Uni340points,Lpool(BBB),Queen Mary(ABB),Lufbra(ABB) or sussex(ABB)? I was thinking if I apply to birminbham,leeds,city,sussex,lufbra or is that being over optimistic?

sussex is well respected for mech. eng. loughborough too. is nottingham too high? if it helps, you don't actually have to put your AS grades on your UCAS application if you're not pleased with them - i didn't!
Original post by ollie82
sussex is well respected for mech. eng. loughborough too. is nottingham too high? if it helps, you don't actually have to put your AS grades on your UCAS application if you're not pleased with them - i didn't!

Yep nottingham is too high, you have to put your AS grades in your UCAS application or else its considered fraudulency!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest