The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You know once I ran up over 140 quid of fines at my local library I wrote a letter and spoke to the head librarian for the borough. (She happened to be at the branch library) she wrote off my fines because I was nice and polite. I was also apologetic. Your uni librarians could have used discretion to remove your fine and place a note on file to say you have been let off. Hammersmith and Fulham libraries did this for me too.

Bear in mind that any financial obligation will stop you graduating and the General Senate won't confer a degree on you.

1) Look after Library Books.
2) Renew, Return then borrow again 5 minutes after or Return. Don't let fines accumulate
3) When Fines are rising..... Talk to someone.
Original post by OhMySweetStars
I hope not. My parents are about to apply for a mortgage, so hopefully this will not ruin their chances... Thanks Cicerao :smile:

It won't ruin thier Credit Rating. They need to get a CCJ to ruin someones Credit File.

Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Pretty hard if you have lost them I should imagine.

Not that hard if as the OP says : they are "lost" I should imagine.

If they were lost maybe. Not if they are "lost"
Original post by republicc

@republicc, LOL. Actually I would have when the money was available. And who asked for your sympathy? I need no one sympathy. I was just asking if this was standard procedure, so your comment was not necessary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alibee
At the end of the day though, you won't be allowed to graduate until you pay the fines. You've already exhausted the appeals process so you might as well pay now and make life a bit less inconvenient for yourself/your parents if they're being harassed!

read the OP. His parents paid.
Original post by alibee

Hi alibee,

I did, but they have to discuss it with the financial department. I did this today, so I have to wait until Monday. I just photocopied what I needed from the books. Thanks for the reply.
(edited 12 years ago)
:tongue:sychocustard, Thanks. But the debt is on my parent household (this is where they sent the letter). I have never had to ask my parents for anything. I worked as soon as I could since the age of 17 right up until I was 21. I decided to leave my job at the end of my second year so I could focus on my placement year and eventually my final year. But, I recently got a job again so I can pay my parents back and support myself again (living without any wages sucks :P).

Thanks, though :smile:

Yes, but it's still nothing to do with them.
Original post by psychocustard
Yes, but it's still nothing to do with them.

You are right. But until I pay them back it does :smile:
If you owed me money I wouldn't lend you anything until you paid me either. Some people ay!
Original post by Julian_valensi
Fines going unpaid in public libraries CAN ruin the borrowers credit rating at least, or so I'm led to believe by way of idle librarian gossip behind the desk while eating biscuits, drinking tea and scornfully dissmissing anyone reading dianelle steele Stephanie Meyeras barely literate.

Corrected it a little for ya :wink:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
You know once I ran up over 140 quid of fines at my local library I wrote a letter and spoke to the head librarian for the borough. (She happened to be at the branch library) she wrote off my fines because I was nice and polite. I was also apologetic. Your uni librarians could have used discretion to remove your fine and place a note on file to say you have been let off. Hammersmith and Fulham libraries did this for me too.

Bear in mind that any financial obligation will stop you graduating and the General Senate won't confer a degree on you.

1) Look after Library Books.
2) Renew, Return then borrow again 5 minutes after or Return. Don't let fines accumulate
3) When Fines are rising..... Talk to someone.

It won't ruin thier Credit Rating. They need to get a CCJ to ruin someones Credit File.

Not that hard if as the OP says : they are "lost" I should imagine.

If they were lost maybe. Not if they are "lost"

Thanks for the information. I am truly grateful :biggrin:
Original post by lazy smurf
If you owed me money I wouldn't lend you anything until you paid me either. Some people ay!

I am totally aware of this. I never stated that they should lend any books to me. That is why I was quite happy to go to the library and read and take notes while I was there (which I hated but completely understood the libraries position). No problem. But the fine was paid 2 weeks ago. Please read OP properly...
I am totally aware of this. I never stated that they should lend any books to me. That is why I was quite happy to go to the library and read and take notes while I was there (which I hated but completely understood the libraries position). No problem. But the fine was paid 2 weeks ago. Please read OP properly...

I did read the original post properly, so don't get lippy! You didn't mention anything you just said in the OP. You seemed miffed that you couldn't take books out the library, I was merely commenting on this; its a forum, without comment or opinion it wouldn't work.
Original post by AspiringGenius
Corrected it a little for ya :wink:

LOL! I gotta admit I agree with you a little, but tell you the truth I'm just happy to see people reading most of the time, and enjoying it, thats whats important.
Original post by Julian_valensi
LOL! I gotta admit I agree with you a little, but tell you the truth I'm just happy to see people reading most of the time, and enjoying it, thats whats important.

That's a soppy wussy thing to say...

The correct response is:

Anyone who does not read War and Peace by the age of 14 is a semi-primate :fuhrer:
Original post by lazy smurf
I did read the original post properly, so don't get lippy! You didn't mention anything you just said in the OP. You seemed miffed that you couldn't take books out the library, I was merely commenting on this; its a forum, without comment or opinion it wouldn't work.

Lippy?:confused:

I am annoyed because it has been paid (did I not say the debt has been paid already?) 2 whole weeks ago. I never said they should allow me to take out books when the fine was still owed...

You are right. You are allowed to comment and make you own opinions known like I had and still have the right to reply to your comment. I never said you were not allowed.
Reply 34
You need to go and tell them it's paid then. It'll probably take a couple of days from when they process it for you to get the access back.
@moonlight86,

Yea, I know. But the £37.10 fine was racked because of the lost books and £60 is for the two lost books. Because I remember handing those books in I was a little reluctant to pay it (I tried to appeal several times, but was unsuccessful).

Trust, there are ways. I was allowed to enter the library, so I did all my reading and note taking there there (plus the library is open 24/6). I have handed in two assignments so far and have received 1st simply because I read a great deal while in the library.

Aah right well if they appear to be lost and if you have tried to appeal, you should just pay it. Uni library fines dont affect your parents debt, it affects you cos your the one at uni borrowing it, just letting you know.

Well if you spend a lot of time in the library then its ok cos everyones different but i always liked to take books out so i had a change of scenery whilst doing my work :smile:
Original post by psychocustard
nah, debt collection companies can't actually take the money off you any more than the university can. They can demand all they want.

You probably won't be able to graduate until you've paid, though.

And it's nothing to do with your parents. It's your debts.

The problem is mainly going to come with the terrible credit ratings that follow. May not mean anything to you now, but wait till you actually want to get loans/mortgages/contacts.
Reply 37
Original post by teabreak
Come on.

It has nothing to do with your parents credit reference.If the agency said that it's harassment and you can sue them.Debt agencies can't take money off you and they make all sorts of empty threats. Library fines don't impact credit references. I'd laugh at them

Latest

Trending

Trending