The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Good luck you guys; JP is tough to get an interview for so well done! Make sure your numeracy test is strong enough (thats where I wasnt marked high enough last year) and for the interview dont worry about technical stuff but just make sure you know whats going on with JP and world events. A few stocks and shares knowledge cant hurt. I would say most important in these interviews is what I just mentioned and enthusiasm.
Reply 41
morgan stanley should be replying within the next couple of weeks.
Reply 42
mangomaz
Good luck you guys; JP is tough to get an interview for so well done! Make sure your numeracy test is strong enough (thats where I wasnt marked high enough last year) and for the interview dont worry about technical stuff but just make sure you know whats going on with JP and world events. A few stocks and shares knowledge cant hurt. I would say most important in these interviews is what I just mentioned and enthusiasm.

Thanks, Mangomaz, did you have 1 or more interviews with JP for easter insight? I'm asking because I was invited to a 'first round interview', so I don't know what the selection process is like, just one interview and test or are there going to me more of them if i pass?
Reply 43
morzh
Thanks, Mangomaz, did you have 1 or more interviews with JP for easter insight? I'm asking because I was invited to a 'first round interview', so I don't know what the selection process is like, just one interview and test or are there going to me more of them if i pass?

Its just a numeracy test and one interview. Mine was a one on one interview. If you get it hurrah you have a place! No further rounds or anything. Good luck :smile:
Reply 44
how is the Bank of England different to any other Bank that operates in the UK?
Reply 45
your dumb...:smile:
cheerfulsakib
your dumb...:smile:

No no, you are dumb... :wink:

:p:
Reply 47
Scarily in a lot less ways than you'd think. The printing money, interest rates and legislative power/responsibility to ensure monetary and financial stability are quite large ways though.
Hiya,
Well done everyone who's got interviews and stuff! I just heard back from Morgan Stanley today - I've got one with them next Wednesday - and also I've got one with Lehman Brothers.

The Lehman Brothers one is v puzzling though, because they're only interviewing 6 people! The scheme includes career guidance training sessions and things, so surely they wouldn't run it for just 2 people or something? It's their 1st year running it so that might explain keeping numbers down, but less than 6 is tiny! Or are they only interviewing the people they can't decide about? The email included the names of the other 5 and when they're being interviewed in case we want to travel together, but they haven't included contact details for them... it's all very strange! I'm pretty certain it's an official thing though, the email ended @lehman.com

I dunno much about these things... anyone have any insight into their weird and wonderful ways? Oh and I'd love to hear from anyone else with interviews with either firm, or anyone who's been in the past and can give me an idea what they're like?
Reply 49
diana_200019
Hiya,
Well done everyone who's got interviews and stuff! I just heard back from Morgan Stanley today - I've got one with them next Wednesday - and also I've got one with Lehman Brothers.

The Lehman Brothers one is v puzzling though, because they're only interviewing 6 people! The scheme includes career guidance training sessions and things, so surely they wouldn't run it for just 2 people or something? It's their 1st year running it so that might explain keeping numbers down, but less than 6 is tiny! Or are they only interviewing the people they can't decide about? The email included the names of the other 5 and when they're being interviewed in case we want to travel together, but they haven't included contact details for them... it's all very strange! I'm pretty certain it's an official thing though, the email ended @lehman.com

I dunno much about these things... anyone have any insight into their weird and wonderful ways? Oh and I'd love to hear from anyone else with interviews with either firm, or anyone who's been in the past and can give me an idea what they're like?

They're probably having a couple of interview days. Lehmans always likes to keep it small from what I've noticed.
But congrats! I was inches away from a Lehmans internship waa oh well.
Reply 50
"# Operations, Technology & Finance (OT&F) Spring Internship in London
The OT&F division is hosts a one-week spring internship in the London offices starting on Monday, April 3, 2006 (accommodation assistance provided). The aim of the program is to provide a comprehensive introduction to this challenging division and the range of opportunities available. The program will consist of an introduction to Goldman Sachs, OT&F overview presentations, group projects, networking events and the opportunity to spend some time with a team in your chosen area (Operations, Technology or Finance). Participants will be streamlined into three groups depending on the divisional preference. "

Thats the placement I applied for. I got a call today saying that I have secured a place and should receive the contract through the post soon!! I did not have an interview!
It's worth bearing in mind that first year programmes are very new things and many banks have just started doing them this year or last year (and so size, competition, programme content etc should be viewed accordingly). The first bulge bracket bank* to do one did it in the Spring of 2003.

Since then, other banks have been watching and waiting to launch their programmes which has happened since Spring 2004 and 2005 for many. Some are starting this year. In a good five years or so, Spring programmes will probably be seen as critically important (in the way summer internships are now) - which to me - is very weird and puts people under extreme pressure... but heyho.

*UBS, afaik.
President_Ben
In a good five years or so, Spring programmes will probably be seen as critically important (in the way summer internships are now) - which to me - is very weird and puts people under extreme pressure... but heyho.

I don't like the idea of spring internships giving an 'advantage' over those who didn't do them. It's in the first year for heaven's sake, I know they want 'hungry' people, but surely it's an over exaggeration to some extent. It's not like one week is going to teach you enough to make a difference in summer....or is it? :p: Then again, so many people wanna get into IB that I guess they'd have more than enough 'hungry' applicants :hmmm:

President_Ben
he first bulge bracket bank* to do one did it in the Spring of 2003.

That would be your spring internship I suppose? :wink: Must've been quite special doing one back then!
I did mine in 2005.

The latest trendy things for the banks to do to pimp themselves are 1) Presidents Days and 2) individual sponsorship schemes.

Spring programmes will get important... in the USA, "serious" bank recruitment starts (relative to the degree length) earlier than in Europe and the trend is towards what goes on over there.
Reply 54
I wouldnt class spring programmes as internships to be honest... they range from 1 or 2 days to no more than 10 days. You cant class a 2 day programme as an internship. They dont make you do any proper work either unless you do goldmans. The hardest they're likely to make you work is to do a presentation.

Therefore I think they're only good for getting a name on your cv and letting you make an informed decision with respect to where you want to apply for your internship division wise.

Thats not to say I dont think theyr good, I think they're brilliant if just for the reasons given above. But they cant let you make an informed decision as to whether banking is for you because they flower it up so much. (unless you do goldmans :p: )
Reply 55
Hi guys,

Got an email today from Morgan Stanley inviting me to an interview for their Spring Insight week this Easter. Bit disappointed as i was going to go on a Deloitte Insight day - seems a bit unecessary asking people to go down for an interview/test for only a weeks experience. Maybe they have loads of people who've applied? Most firms let you do a test online.

On the subject of Morgan Stanley, i had a phone call from someone from their HR a couple of weeks ago asking to confirm my date of graduation. I knew what they were going to say when i said 2008 (i had applied to their Summer Internship as well). Anyway the guy told me that it was definately worth applying to their Graduate scheme. Two things struck me. Why do certain IB's only accept penultimates and some accept people from any year, e.g. Goldman? I was speaking to someone at an interview who said that Morgan Stanley had told a lot of people to apply for Graduate positions as they had considerably more of these than Summer Internships.

p.s. Anyone heard back from RBS about their Easter Programme as its the only one i've not heard from for ages?
1) Online tests are ****. People cheat on them all the time.
2) Internships are more or less 10 week long interviews to the graduate programme.
Reply 57
President_Ben
1) Online tests are ****. People cheat on them all the time.
2) Internships are more or less 10 week long interviews to the graduate programme.

How do these people cheat? If you mean using a calculator, then don't many banks allow calculators in their actual assessment centres? Unless you mean getting someone else to do the test for them?
Reply 58
slinec.
Unless you mean getting someone else to do the test for them?

I'm sure that's what he means, and it's true.
I've gone into the library at UCL and seen a dozen plus people doing the same online test using all kinds of technology to assist each other. In a sense, hilarious, but it shows up online testing as being a waste of time because people cheat in them - a lot...

The only value online tests might have is in working out who the cheats are. By that, I mean getting the online test to be 'please do not use a calculator' and ask a series of almost certainly calculator requiring questions...

Latest

Trending

Trending