The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

An international Psychology student from Poland: why I would choose DMU

Hi everyone!

Choosing the right university is one of the first critical decisions we make in our adult life. In order to make the best choice for ourselves we should do as much research as possible and get to know universities of our interest very well :wink:

How can you explore the university and student life in detail? One useful way is to hear and read about the experience of current students. That is why I am here today. I am going to share my personal view of De Montfort University and explain why I would choose DMU again. Also, you will get to know a little bit more about the Psychology course here.

If you are interested in a different course, nothing is lost. DMU students from various courses are available for a chat on The Ambassador Platform here. This is an inimitable opportunity to talk with current students about their experience, all of the university’s aspects, and any support you might need in the process of application, making the final decision, and finally starting a new journey. Among numerous ambassadors, you will find students from completely different courses, years of study, and distinct parts of the world but with interests similar to yours. And you can talk with each one of them!

Moving on, let me share some critical points regarding university and student life from the perspective of international Psychology student. They reflect my two-and-a-half years-long experience and explain why I would choose De Montfort University once again. Once you go through them, you will see that many of your questions and concerns will be addressed.

1. There is no better preparation for the transition into university than De Montfort University International College (DMUIC)

I was highly sceptic about extending my education by an additional year, but now I know it was the best thing that could happen to me. I did a foundation year that offered many preparation modules, including English, Maths, IT, communication, and basic knowledge underlying my target course of choice. They all have been extremely supportive modules in complementing my knowledge as well as adjusting to new teaching patterns and academic styles. At the end of the day, I joined my first year with much better confidence and obtained high grades from the very beginning.

2. Leicester is full of students and is ranked as one of the most affordable cities for students

Some say it should not be a factor while deciding, but let’s be honest, most of us have some financial limitations that need to be taken into consideration. I did not have a clue about how much life could cost in the UK and how fast I would find a job. That is why I wanted to secure myself and find a student-friendly city. Leicester turned out to be a marvellous choice. It is not only full of young faces and a wide range of entertainment places for us to spend our leisure time in a creative and fun way.

It is also constantly ranked one of the most affordable cities, making life here fuller and easier. You can find accommodation for £80/90 per week. What will you do with the rest of your money? It is your choice. I travel abroad to explore the world at least once two months.

3. There are numerous student accommodations within a short walking distance of the DMU campus

In Poland, I used to take a journey longer than one hour in order to get to my schools for six years. I literally hated it. I know some people do not mind, and I completely understand. However, I wanted to live in a city where everything is close and commuting can be limited to a minimum. DMU was a perfect much. It is located next to the city centre, so everything I need is within reach.

What is more, there are plenty of cheaper and more expensive student accommodations within a short walking distance of the campus. I wake up every day, and I have just a three-minute walk. The feeling is amazing!

4. Education 2030

That is a new teaching programme in a block format, meaning that one or two subjects are covered at a time instead of several at once. Data obtained from first-year undergraduates, who have been receiving a ‘block’ teaching, has demonstrated that 93% of them enjoyed studying one subject at a time, and 90% expressed satisfaction with choosing DMU.

I started in a format we all know, and I would finish this way, but as I am going on a student exchange. I will be back after a year and join students who started in a new format, meaning I will join Education 2030 too. Am I happy? Yes! When I first heard about it, I got really excited. I believe we will benefit from it, and the workload will be significantly reduced. If that sounds new to you, you can read more here.

5. Outstanding careers support

Can you imagine doing a professional and paid internship, that is linked to your course and provides you with practical experience, along with your studies in your second year? You do not have to because you can experience it on your own skin at De Montfort University. Each year DMU Frontrunners team advertises around 100 internship offers for us students. It lasts for six months and requires a ten-hour commitment per week, so you can easily prioritise it with your studies and life. I have completed a Research Assistant internship in the Psychology of Language this year.

That was just one example of the fascinating career opportunities available at DMU. In addition, there is an on-site careers hub that supports us in the whole process of looking and applying for those opportunities. With professional help, success is much more likely.

6. You are treated like an adult, but at the same time, you get all the support you need

It is believed that transitioning into university means starting an adult life, which I completely agree with. It is also noticed that frequently the beginnings of adult life can be very hard. Imagine being an international student - that was a challenge! Luckily, at DMU I was not left on my own. There are financial, mental health, academic, disability, well-being, and employability support teams.

Also, all students are assigned a personal tutor throughout their course. It is a comforting feeling to know that I am supported and guided in this journey to fulfil my academic potential and to achieve my personal, academic, and professional development goals.

7. Endless amount of extracurricular activities

Last but not least, do you have a hobby (no matter whether it is a regular one or a crazy one), would you like to see the world, do you fancy volunteering, would you like to complete an interesting course boosting your employability, is there a language you have always wanted to learn? I hope you answered yes to at least half of my questions. No matter what your answer is, I want to say that you can do it all here at DMU. Furthermore, money is not a problem, as most of these opportunities are free or partly funded.

Once again, if you have any development goals, DMU is a place where you can achieve them. To ensure you that it is not a vain statement, I will list all the extracurricular opportunities I was part of during two years: a Spanish language course, the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) course, two academic trips to Bilbao and Alicante, Think Pacific Remote Internship in Global Psychology, Frontrunner Internship, Global Citizenship course delivered by Common Purpose, and in the following academic year I am going for a student exchange to Bilbao.

I hope you will find it helpful! As always, if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them :h:

Take care,

Julia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending