The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whatever you wrote on the form must have been pretty good, so evidently you must know *something*. However, the advice you need depends on whether the programme is for a markets role, IBD or the back office. Someone could give you killer advice to nail an IBD interview, but it won't help one jot if you're interviewing for Credit and Rates. So post up whatever it is you're doing, and people will probably give some tips.
Olek
Whatever you wrote on the form must have been pretty good, so evidently you must know *something*. However, the advice you need depends on whether the programme is for a markets role, IBD or the back office. Someone could give you killer advice to nail an IBD interview, but it won't help one jot if you're interviewing for Credit and Rates. So post up whatever it is you're doing, and people will probably give some tips.

It's all generalist for 1st year programmes with few exceptions (eg. GS)

One odd thing I've heard about, quite a few banks offer an interview and then withdraw it because they run out of interview slots...? Bizarre!

Seen it happen at intern level too.
Reply 82
chandni
ok this is going to sound really really stupid and it is my own stupid fault 4 letting myself get into this situation!!

Basically I'm a Law student and have a vague interest in banking and finance so i applied 4 a couple of these spring schemes. Have got an interview with JP Morgan... this was not supposed to happen! And I don't really know anything relevant which is making me want to cry at the moment because I don't even know how to being preparing for this interview!

no offence but that bloody annoys me ! (see how the word no offence makes no difference yet we continue to use it)
Reply 83
I know I shouldn't really ask but do you think that a formal suit is really essential for an interview for easter programmes?
I'm going to JP Morgan interview for Easter Insight next week and I haven't got a suit at the moment, so I thought a nice shirt/jumper and formal trousers should be ok? Or is it worth spending 30 quid and hire a nice suit?:wink:

Thanks
Reply 84
Shirt, tie, smart trousers and coat is probably ok. The jacket is useful, but you can do without it (some people hang it up as soon as they get there). However I'd advise you to get a suit, you'll use it for a lot of these things over the course of your degree.
Reply 85
Drogue
Shirt, tie, smart trousers and coat is probably ok. The jacket is useful, but you can do without it (some people hang it up as soon as they get there). However I'd advise you to get a suit, you'll use it for a lot of these things over the course of your degree.

Good advice!

Also remember the saying "clothes maketh the man" - wearing a suit gives you a look and feeling of professionalism and confidence which can improve your performance at interview and influence your interviewer in your favour. :smile:
yawn
Good advice!

Also remember the saying "clothes maketh the man" - wearing a suit gives you a look and feeling of professionalism and confidence which can improve your performance at interview and influence your interviewer in your favour. :smile:

Equally, you're more likely to feel a bit nervy and on edge out of a suit when they are very likely to be in them (and so will 'competitors').
Reply 87
morzh
I know I shouldn't really ask but do you think that a formal suit is really essential for an interview for easter programmes?
I'm going to JP Morgan interview for Easter Insight next week and I haven't got a suit at the moment, so I thought a nice shirt/jumper and formal trousers should be ok? Or is it worth spending 30 quid and hire a nice suit?:wink:

Thanks

I didnt wear a proper suit for any of my interviews last year. I invested in one this year though. It took me ages to find one I like but its pretty cool. I feel all sophisticated :p:
Reply 88
MS, JP Morgan application still under review.
ML still not out yet.
No response from the rest.
Sigh, at the looks of things, think won't be doing any easter prog :frown:
clouds
MS, JP Morgan application still under review.
ML still not out yet.
No response from the rest.
Sigh, at the looks of things, think won't be doing any easter prog :frown:

It really isn't that big a deal :smile:
Yay I got into Morgan Stanley's Spring Week!!!! :biggrin:

Anyone else? Apparently there'll be 30 of us, should be great fun. Still got an interview for Lehman on Monday, though I imagine the chances of getting 2 offers are teeny. Was very surprised at this one to be honest!
Reply 91
im still waiting to hear from morgan stanley. did you have an interview?
Reply 92
diana_200019

Anyone else? Apparently there'll be 30 of us, should be great fun. Still got an interview for Lehman on Monday, though I imagine the chances of getting 2 offers are teeny. Was very surprised at this one to be honest!

Congratulations on MS, by far the best place to be obviously...:wink:
cheerfulsakib
im still waiting to hear from morgan stanley. did you have an interview?

Yup, interview and numerical test on Wednesday. From what I've heard, they've picked practically everyone for the week starting on the 27th and they have interviews for the other week next Wednesday. I don't know if they'll hold more interviews if they don't get who they want next week.
Reply 94
Does anyone know if you are allowed to use a calculator for numerical tests? I'm attending an interview with JP Morgan tomorrow and I'm really nervous about that - how am I supposed to multiply and divide three and four-digit numbers without a calculator?
Reply 95
morzh
Does anyone know if you are allowed to use a calculator for numerical tests? I'm attending an interview with JP Morgan tomorrow and I'm really nervous about that - how am I supposed to multiply and divide three and four-digit numbers without a calculator?

Nope no calculator!
Learn your long division and multiplication, percentage changes etc...

Biggest thing to remember - dont let yourself get fixated on a question. Give yourself NO MORE than one minute per question. If you're not getting anywhere, leave it and go back to it later or just guess. The tests arent negatively marked.

Just remember to work as fast as you can, dont bother double checking anything theres no time.
Reply 96
diana_200019

Congurads.....how did they inform you? email or telephone?
Reply 97
Megsy
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee UBS Final Round!!!

YAY!!! It's good new day today, it seems. Well done!!! :biggrin:
HammaL
Congurads.....how did they inform you? email or telephone?

By phone. Did you have an interview on Wednesday then?
Reply 99
no i haven't heard anything yet, u wreckon i should call them?

Latest

Trending

Trending