The Student Room Group

Maths Exams

Hello,
i just wanted some ideas and suggestions...
Why is it that i'm able to do well in class and get most things right in maths lessons however when it comes to internal examinations i always do really bad? I was in the bottom 10 people in our recent exam whilst in class i'd say im in around the top 10 (topic dependent)
Could someone give me any ideas how i would be able to increase my score in a exam? MY teacher is threatening to move me down and i don't want to because i work well in the class i'm in!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
You need to make sure you show all your working out. Working out can be worth up to five marks in a question, while the answer is usually only one or two. You might put something wrong in the calculator or miss a step due to the stress of exam conditions, if you've clearly stated the working out before then you'll get a few marks which is the difference between a grade in some cases.
Reply 2
Also do a lot of practice paper exams, make sure you are understanding what you are doing wrong and do that topic again. You should also note how papers are marked as these could be different to how exercises could be marked.
Reply 3
I used to do really well in class and class examinations and in the real exam I didn't do so well, so maybe it's the opposite for you! You may be doing bad in class exams, but do remember these exams aren't too important, what matters is the real thing. Just do lots of practise papers and keep practising with all the formulas. Revise the techniques you need to use and keep going over them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending