The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Some nice info for prospective Exeter arts students...

Thought people might want to know some great stuff I just found out about Exeter single honours arts courses.

Each year you have to take 120 credits worth of modules; each being 15 (usually) with one or two compulsory ones being 30. However, if you're doing a single honours arts subject (not sure about sciences) you can do 90 credits of your main subject PLUS 30 of any other arts subject! How brill!

PLUS...if they're all from on area of study, you get a "with X" at the end of your degree!

I.E., if I take 30 credits worth of Philosophy modules each year, I'll end up with a "French with Philosophy" degree! Cool!

Hence, my scheme has worked. Originally, I'd considered French and Politics/Philosophy, but decided against it on the grounds that I have a C in History GCSE - a crucial factor for admissions tutors, apparently. But now I can have the opportunity to study some Politics or Philosophy anyway!! Hehe...
Reply 1
Sorry to be soooo thick. I should know this :redface:

Geography - Art or science?! I'm gathering that (if - please! I get an offer) if I were to go then the geography doesn't have a large amount of Lectures, I get bored if I don't have lessons/lectures etc. And would be keen to take more and eventually have a 'with something'.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Geography is classed as a science as far as I'm aware, i.e. you graduate with a BSc (Bachelor of Science). Having hardly any lectures isn't boring trust me - you get to sleep lots, go shopping, and have time to do work as well. There is always something to do!
Reply 3
Ah yes, but there's a BA as well (one I've applied for!)...Well, I'll worry if I ever get an offer :frown:
Reply 4
In year 2 and three history modules are all 30 credits, which is good - less exams!! Only have two this year!!

As for the doing other things as well as your main subject are you referring to the modular degree? This works by doing 3 history 1 philosophy etc and you get x with y. It's a bit different though because you arent in the history school u are in the modular degree, it is a bit confusing!
Reply 5
Is psychology an art or a science? I would LOVE to have English with psychology.
Reply 6
supercat
Is psychology an art or a science? I would LOVE to have English with psychology.

I think you can do psychology with English...

Check this link: http://www.ex.ac.uk/modulardegree/main.html

:smile:
Reply 7
English with Classical Studies would be pretty cool too - and they'd work well together. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I'm studying that, and they do work well together :smile:
I wanted to do an elective in Italian but Combined Hons students aren't allowed.
You Single Hons students are lucky to be able to do so though. We have a psychology student in our Latin class.
Reply 9
Ooh that's so cool.
Reply 10
Exeter for Supercat? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Haha I'm already seriously thinking about it anyway; I love it. I mean, I have an offer from York too, which is supposedly better for English, but I didn't really get the "feeling" when I went there, whereas Exeter...I have a lot of thinking to do :frown:
Reply 12
I know I'm bound to big it up cos I study here, but the English course here is fab! In the first year (if you do Single Hons that is) you get a great mix of literature and theory, and the literature is so diverse. You study ancient lit such as the Odyssey, all the way up to 1920s lit such as The Great Gatsby.
The modules get more and more specific as you go into your second and third years, so your first year is a chance to do a little of everything. We also have some great lecturers, such as Karen Edwards who takes the Milton module. Loads of our lecturers are from the great universities (Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Yale) and they are just amazing. Come along to an open day and meet some of them.
I don't know what the York course is like...obviously...but looking at the website it doesn't look as wide-ranging. I'd say just visit both places again and make up your mind from that.
Reply 13
supercat
Haha I'm already seriously thinking about it anyway; I love it. I mean, I have an offer from York too, which is supposedly better for English, but I didn't really get the "feeling" when I went there, whereas Exeter...I have a lot of thinking to do :frown:

I didn't get the 'feeling' when I went to Exeter funnily enough, but the reason for that was probably that I'd been to Oxford the week before, and so my expectations were V high! The course is great though; I've got a very difficult (but nice) choice to make...
Another totally silly question.

I could do Geography and Law, couldn't I? Fabbity. Would help my future career moves an awful lot!
Reply 15
Yes, you could.
Sign up for Single Hons Geography, and then in your second year you can switch to a modular degree which would enable you to take Law modules. Your degree certificate would then eventually read 'Geography with Law' or something along those lines. Great, isn't it?:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending