The Student Room Group

The interview discussion & help thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Tamaryn...
I have my interview for Southbank on the 26th!
Im SO nervous!! Im basically just writing to see if you can give me any advice as you have a place!
What kind of topics came up in the current educational issues part? And what sort of things did people do for their presentations? The bit that im most scared about is the group discussions- Im picturing lots of people talking over each other and struggling to get a word in...

Any help would be soooo appreciated!!
Anyone got an interview on the 10th December?! :smile:
Reply 22
Hey,
Has anyone had any Primary Education interviews recently or has any coming up?
Does anyone have any advice or tips for interviews?
I have an interview at Edge Hill soon and was wondering what to expect? I know there is a group interview and a written task.
I've applied to Chester, Edge Hill, Bangor, LJMU and Gloucestershire. :smile:
Hey! I've applied for Primary Education at Edge Hill and Chester too.. still not got anything back yet though! I've got an interview at Liverpool Hope in a few weeks quite scared! What do Edge Hill say you have to do before it like any tasks or anything? xx
Hi.

I'm currently on the BA QTS Primary Education course at Bangor University. I know you asked for information on Edge Hill but I though I'd jump in an let you know about the Bangor interview.

The interview for me consisted of a written test, a reading task and an interview which was pretty much in between formal and informal.

The written test was on a single sheet of A4 and the question as I remember was something along the lines of 'What do you believe makes a good teacher'. This was to be taken into the interview and used as a guide for one of the questions and as such wasn't marked as an essay per se but more of a pre-prepared verbal question.

The reading test was an extract from a partner Primary School's Aims and Objectives for their pupils as set out in their prospectus. The points ranged from educational, extra curricular opportunities, personal and social development and development of pride in National heritage (i.e learning the Welsh language, knowledge of the country and local area). The task that stemmed from this was similar to the 'written' task in that it asked (to the best that I can remember) 'What is the school trying to instill in its pupils with reference to the prospectus'.

As for the interview the questions were fairly standard i.e. Why do you want to be a Teacher, Why Bangor, Questions on discipline and there will be reference to your Personal Statement (I wrote about music and as such the Interviewer and I discussed the advantages of music within education. Also be ready to talk about current issues within Education such as 'The Rose Report' by Sir Jim Rose as regards educational reform. (http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/primarycurriculumreview/)

With things like the Rose Report (which I believe has now become part of the new Education Act) don't read the entire report but things like the aims which are on the page I have referenced above.

Learning Welsh is an integral part of the course which I must admit is slightly daunting to begin with but you soon pick it up without even realising! This did come up in the interview and it may be worth knowing that it is a requirement of ESTYN (Welsh OFSTED equivalent) that all teachers in Wales know 'incidental welsh' for teaching up to KS2 level.

Good luck with your interview and I wish you the very best. Bangor really is an enjoyable place to go to Uni! If you're seriously considering it then give me a shout if you want to know more about the city.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by dulcie-shaw-x
Hey! I've applied for Primary Education at Edge Hill and Chester too.. still not got anything back yet though! I've got an interview at Liverpool Hope in a few weeks quite scared! What do Edge Hill say you have to do before it like any tasks or anything? xx

Hey :smile: Oo okay nope i haven't heard anything from Chester yet either apart from an email saying thanks for the application. Oo good luck for that :smile: i've got an interview at Edge Hill this week and LJMU in a few weeks :/
Yeah for Edge Hill there's going to be a group task, a group discussion and a written task which is answering questions on an article. That's all I know so far but i'll let you know how the interview goes and what was involved! Getting quite nervous now for it now! :smile: xx
Original post by EmilyD3

Original post by EmilyD3
Hey :smile: Oo okay nope i haven't heard anything from Chester yet either apart from an email saying thanks for the application. Oo good luck for that :smile: i've got an interview at Edge Hill this week and LJMU in a few weeks :/
Yeah for Edge Hill there's going to be a group task, a group discussion and a written task which is answering questions on an article. That's all I know so far but i'll let you know how the interview goes and what was involved! Getting quite nervous now for it now! :smile: xx

ahhh ok :smile: good luck! is it your first interview? edge hill sounds easier than lpool hope! xx
Reply 27
Original post by jonnykermode
Hi.

I'm currently on the BA QTS Primary Education course at Bangor University. I know you asked for information on Edge Hill but I though I'd jump in an let you know about the Bangor interview.

The interview for me consisted of a written test, a reading task and an interview which was pretty much in between formal and informal.

The written test was on a single sheet of A4 and the question as I remember was something along the lines of 'What do you believe makes a good teacher'. This was to be taken into the interview and used as a guide for one of the questions and as such wasn't marked as an essay per se but more of a pre-prepared verbal question.

The reading test was an extract from a partner Primary School's Aims and Objectives for their pupils as set out in their prospectus. The points ranged from educational, extra curricular opportunities, personal and social development and development of pride in National heritage (i.e learning the Welsh language, knowledge of the country and local area). The task that stemmed from this was similar to the 'written' task in that it asked (to the best that I can remember) 'What is the school trying to instill in its pupils with reference to the prospectus'.

As for the interview the questions were fairly standard i.e. Why do you want to be a Teacher, Why Bangor, Questions on discipline and there will be reference to your Personal Statement (I wrote about music and as such the Interviewer and I discussed the advantages of music within education. Also be ready to talk about current issues within Education such as 'The Rose Report' by Sir Jim Rose as regards educational reform. (http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/primarycurriculumreview/)

With things like the Rose Report (which I believe has now become part of the new Education Act) don't read the entire report but things like the aims which are on the page I have referenced above.

Learning Welsh is an integral part of the course which I must admit is slightly daunting to begin with but you soon pick it up without even realising! This did come up in the interview and it may be worth knowing that it is a requirement of ESTYN (Welsh OFSTED equivalent) that all teachers in Wales know 'incidental welsh' for teaching up to KS2 level.

Good luck with your interview and I wish you the very best. Bangor really is an enjoyable place to go to Uni! If you're seriously considering it then give me a shout if you want to know more about the city.

Hey! Aww thankyou so much for all that information! :smile: I haven't heard from Bangor yet but it will be a great help if I'm invited to an interview!
Thanks for the advice with the Rose Report, someone has mentioned it to me before although I wasn't entirely sure what it was.
Yep I am thinking of Bangor but it isn't my first choice at the moment. I came to the open day in October and really liked the uni. Also, I live in Wales anyway and have studied GCSE Welsh, although I'm not great at it.
Thanks, I'm getting quite nervous now as its my first interview. Im just practising loads of questions and learning a few education issues. In your interview, what kind of things did they ask you about education issues? Coz I'm worried I'm not going to be able to answer a question if its about one in particular lol :/
Reply 28
Original post by dulcie-shaw-x
ahhh ok :smile: good luck! is it your first interview? edge hill sounds easier than lpool hope! xx

Thankyouu! :smile: yep it is! Excited for it but nervous too lol. What do you have to do for Liverpool Hope?
Where else have you applied to? xx
Original post by EmilyD3
Hey! Aww thankyou so much for all that information! :smile: I haven't heard from Bangor yet but it will be a great help if I'm invited to an interview!
Thanks for the advice with the Rose Report, someone has mentioned it to me before although I wasn't entirely sure what it was.
Yep I am thinking of Bangor but it isn't my first choice at the moment. I came to the open day in October and really liked the uni. Also, I live in Wales anyway and have studied GCSE Welsh, although I'm not great at it.
Thanks, I'm getting quite nervous now as its my first interview. Im just practising loads of questions and learning a few education issues. In your interview, what kind of things did they ask you about education issues? Coz I'm worried I'm not going to be able to answer a question if its about one in particular lol :/

It most likely won't be about a particular issue. They'll ask you what you know. I assume that if you live in Wales then you are aware of the new Foundation Phase being rolled out? Just familiarise yourself with a couple of things on this link. The important thing is not to go TOO in depth. A general knowledge of a few things is useful. They won't expect you to know everything about Primary Education but will want to see that you are committed to a career path that they are about to set you on.

I'd also recommend reading a couple of Education Supplements on the occasion (Times Education, Telegraph e.t.c)
Reply 30
Also does anyone know if it is best to wear a suit to Primary interviews? Or are black trousers and a smart jacket okay? x
Reply 31
Original post by jonnykermode
It most likely won't be about a particular issue. They'll ask you what you know. I assume that if you live in Wales then you are aware of the new Foundation Phase being rolled out? Just familiarise yourself with a couple of things on this link. The important thing is not to go TOO in depth. A general knowledge of a few things is useful. They won't expect you to know everything about Primary Education but will want to see that you are committed to a career path that they are about to set you on.

I'd also recommend reading a couple of Education Supplements on the occasion (Times Education, Telegraph e.t.c)

Ok thanks :smile: Yeah I am, well I help with a foundation phase class once a week so have got to know quite a bit of info about it. Do they have it in England too?
Ok thanks because I do tend to go into too much depth with things sometimes so have found it difficult to focus on a few issues lol. Yeah have been reading the TES. I have found some articles about maybe introducing a new reading test for 6 year olds due to poor levels of reading and focusing more on phonics for early years etc .. will I need to know anything about issues like introducing new super schools or getting rid of incompetent teachers? Or in an interview do they focus more on things in the classroom and lessons? :/ Sorry! :smile:
Original post by EmilyD3
Also does anyone know if it is best to wear a suit to Primary interviews? Or are black trousers and a smart jacket okay? x

Hi EmilyD3

I wore a suit to my interview - first impressions definitely count! However, the majority of ladies wore black trousers and cardigans.

I guess it's whatever you feel more comfortable in.

GOod luck

x:smile:x
Reply 33
Hey hey.

I have an interview in Aberdeen in January. Has anyone else got or had any Scottish interviews?
hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone had an interview at ege hill for a BA (Hons) primary education with QTS on wed 12th Jan 2011 if u do get in touch.

Also if you have already had an interview for this course any feedback would be great :redface:)

im a mature student and i have read up on everything, im kind of worried and exicted at the same time.

add me on facebook - Alisha 'shyshorty' lees
I have an interview at Liverpool Hope tomorrow, one at Leeds Met next week and one at Edge Hill the week after!

Just doing my pre-interview task for Liverpool at the moment, a little daunting.
Ive had Liverpool Hope and Edge Hill, both were fine :smile: The pre interview tasks are fine once youve done them you just give them in at the end!
Liverpool went well, did my best I reckon so fingers crossed! Seems like a decent course and uni. Has given me more confidence on what to expect from my next two. Glad they didn't read through my pre-interview task with me!
Original post by Mr. Gilbert
I have an interview at Liverpool Hope tomorrow, one at Leeds Met next week and one at Edge Hill the week after!

Just doing my pre-interview task for Liverpool at the moment, a little daunting.

This is a bit of a random comment but I'm so glad I now know why there were loads of people in suits in the teaching building at Hope yesterday! I was really confused lol (and a bit gutted because a group of them took our seats that we have for lunch, *sulk*)

Good luck for your interview!
Reply 39
Original post by gemimajam
Hey hey.

I have an interview in Aberdeen in January. Has anyone else got or had any Scottish interviews?

Hello there :smile: I have an interview for Aberdeen coming up soon.. How did yours go? Did you have to do a presentation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending