The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by redmonkey7

lol what?!
Yeah, they have these so called LINKS divisions in the London unis

:tongue: David's wife mentioned it to me and yash, think she over heard us talking about uni. Also said she's gona organinse someone from a links division to give us a presentation :smile: can't wait!
Reply 21
Original post by Natalie21
Sounds great - I hate the current cadet uniform so much!!

Whats the change? i thought it was just a baseball hat?
Whats the change? i thought it was just a baseball hat?

Look at the link on the page before.
Reply 23
lol thanks, missed that.
Reply 24
I'd be pretty disappointed if the new uniform was a baseball cap lol
Reply 25
Hi, applied yesterday to be a badger's youth worker, I'm 16 and really looking forward to hearing back from them! Anyone here a youth worker? Should look good on CV as I want to work in health care :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by _jake_
Hi, applied yesterday to be a badger's youth worker, I'm 16 and really looking forward to hearing back from them! Anyone here a youth worker? Should look good on CV as I want to work in health care :biggrin:

That's cool man.

Are you thinking about becoming an actual member as well or just a badger's youth worker?

Where do you see yourself working in health care?
Reply 27
Original post by KingGoonIan
That's cool man.

Are you thinking about becoming an actual member as well or just a badger's youth worker?

Where do you see yourself working in health care?

I found the link through the Job Centre Voluntary section; what does a member do?

Paramedic Science really appeals to me, but I've heard that there isn't many jobs compared to graduates and of course the danger of working in the Emergency Services is definitely something to think about. I just love the idea of rushing to emergencies, meeting many different people and being privileged of being welcomed into their homes and their trust placed on me; I guess it just sounds like you're needed.

On the other hand I feel like Nursing (A+E) would be a great career; but you wouldn't have as many chances to use clinical skills I.e. Intubating, as you would if I was a paramedic. It's a really tough choice, starting my A-levels next year as I've decided I want to do something science based so still have plenty of time to work things out:biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by _jake_
I found the link through the Job Centre Voluntary section; what does a member do?

Paramedic Science really appeals to me, but I've heard that there isn't many jobs compared to graduates and of course the danger of working in the Emergency Services is definitely something to think about. I just love the idea of rushing to emergencies, meeting many different people and being privileged of being welcomed into their homes and their trust placed on me; I guess it just sounds like you're needed.

On the other hand I feel like Nursing (A+E) would be a great career; but you wouldn't have as many chances to use clinical skills I.e. Intubating, as you would if I was a paramedic. It's a really tough choice, starting my A-levels next year as I've decided I want to do something science based so still have plenty of time to work things out:biggrin:

As a member you would have the chance to be trained in as much first aid as you wish. You can even go to a level where you do a blue light training course but I'm happy with the level I'm at. In return for being trained for free you would need to complete a minimum amount of hours volunteering on duties such as rugby matches and fireworks events for example. For most meeting the minimum hours isn't a problem because they find volunteering to be enjoyable. If you want to take Paramedic Science then I would definitely think about becoming a member because you'll get lots of first aid experience this way. 2 weeks ago I treated a guy of about 15, he had been cut on the eyelid and I washed the wound out gave him a wet pad to hold on it and arranged for him to be taken to hospital by his parents, advising them what to do if the injury worsened. This is just one example of many injuries I get to deal with at SJA.

Paramedic Science appealed to me too for a while I was certainly going to apply for it but I opted for Nursing after experiencing working as a care assistant which I love and I want more.

I have my Nursing interview at Surrey (my first choice) on Thursday, we have to pass entry tests in maths and literacy and are then interviewed if we are successful - eek! I will definitely be talking about SJA and what skills it has given me which are transferable to Nursing e.g. teamwork, basic observations, first aid, communication etc.

Any more questions just ask! :biggrin:
Reply 29
As a member you would have the chance to be trained in as much first aid as you wish. You can even go to a level where you do a blue light training course but I'm happy with the level I'm at. In return for being trained for free you would need to complete a minimum amount of hours volunteering on duties such as rugby matches and fireworks events for example. For most meeting the minimum hours isn't a problem because they find volunteering to be enjoyable. If you want to take Paramedic Science then I would definitely think about becoming a member because you'll get lots of first aid experience this way. 2 weeks ago I treated a guy of about 15, he had been cut on the eyelid and I washed the wound out gave him a wet pad to hold on it and arranged for him to be taken to hospital by his parents, advising them what to do if the injury worsened. This is just one example of many injuries I get to deal with at SJA.

Paramedic Science appealed to me too for a while I was certainly going to apply for it but I opted for Nursing after experiencing working as a care assistant which I love and I want more.

I have my Nursing interview at Surrey (my first choice) on Thursday, we have to pass entry tests in maths and literacy and are then interviewed if we are successful - eek! I will definitely be talking about SJA and what skills it has given me which are transferable to Nursing e.g. teamwork, basic observations, first aid, communication etc.

Any more questions just ask! :biggrin:

Wow that's cool man, think I'm going join that!

Sounds great! Good luck with your interview. Are you applying for Adult?:biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by _jake_
Wow that's cool man, think I'm going join that!

Sounds great! Good luck with your interview. Are you applying for Adult?:biggrin:

Hell yeah, tho a lot of casualties we get at my division are classed as children because we cover rugby duties for local schools.
Wow nice 7 years. St John Ambulance veteran then. Will you be getting the new uniform and what uniform do you currently wear?

Haha, I guess! But I'm always meeting people who've been in the organisation far longer so it doesn't really seem like that much :smile:
Like I said, not really an active member, but I was last wearing the old uniform and AFAIK my division are still wearing it.
Reply 32
Covering an amateur rugby duty today for adults; this could get messy.
I'm at Plymouth uni and joined PlymLinks this year. CRB cleared and should have the FA course in January. (I'm already FA qualified with a previous FAW but not with SJA).
Reply 34
Original post by Omar.Ebrahim
I'm at Plymouth uni and joined PlymLinks this year. CRB cleared and should have the FA course in January. (I'm already FA qualified with a previous FAW but not with SJA).

Cool man tell us when you're qualified. Who did you do your FAW with?

Cool man tell us when you're qualified. Who did you do your FAW with?

It was done by Alan John Associates http://www.alanjohn.co.uk/, runs out in May 2012
Reply 36
:bump:
Just to join in;

- I've been a member for about 6 years now
- I'm a Advanced First Aider (with Med gases)
- I've racked up over 400 hours with them
- I go to County Camp every year (for the last 4 years at least)
- We still have the old style uniforms and I'm desperate to get the 'Greens'! For a start it'll stop people mistaking us for the police and I always did look good in green) :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by Joanna-Marie :)
Just to join in;

- I've been a member for about 6 years now
- I'm a Advanced First Aider (with Med gases)
- I've racked up over 400 hours with them
- I go to County Camp every year (for the last 4 years at least)
- We still have the old style uniforms and I'm desperate to get the 'Greens'! For a start it'll stop people mistaking us for the police and I always did look good in green) :wink:

Hello and welcome! :biggrin:

Do you intend to stay AFA once the level of AFA is updated and you have to do more such as provide treatment and support to people with spinal injuries?
What's county camp?

PS I swear I've seen you before somewhere no?
Ugh the new uniform is such a hideous colour! It's bad enough not being allowed to wear my black and whites to sports duties and having to wear the old greens without getting that mess :frown: I like the nice black and whites (member 5 and a half years and counting, assistant duties coordinator. Don't like greens.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending