The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingGoonIan
So do we have to be on duty then? :colone:

In uniform, but not necessarily on duty. Just wear a polo shirt with the logo on it if you're being super thrifty! :wink:
Original post by KingGoonIan
So do we have to be on duty then? :colone:

The whole reason TFL did this was to say thank you for members who give up their time to help on duties all over London. So instead of having to pay to go the voluntary job over the summer TFL are giving something back to say thank you, so yes you should be on duty otherwise your abusing TFLs good will technically.
Does anyone know exactly how the scenarios for the community first aid assessment (to become a member) are acted out and what they skills they cover in one scenario
Reply 383
hi i would like to become a cadet for the st john ambulance organisation mainly because im bored and also because i think it would be a good thing to have for applying to dentistry?

The thing is i dont want to travel far so how far would the place be and how do i apply

Please someone reply to me would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
I've heard they are pretty good so hopefully it'll be ok. Theres two nearby SJA divison near me too! I'm still surprised the FA course is free :tongue: Most places charge and for CRB checks nowadays

the point being that SJA does not charge it's operational members for training, becasue it is unfair to charge you for training that you will be using when you go out on duty with SJA.

there seems to be a lot of misunderstanding around how CRB disclosuresare applied for with all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff going on with local , smaller organisations, as SJA can apply for CRBs in it;sown right and we have plenty of counter signatories
Original post by Link96ra
hi i would like to become a cadet for the st john ambulance organisation mainly because im bored and also because i think it would be a good thing to have for applying to dentistry?

The thing is i dont want to travel far so how far would the place be and how do i apply

Please someone reply to me would be much appreciated :smile:

How old are you as if you are 16 or older joining an adult unit as a young person is probably more relevant that joining cadets .

membership of SJA does *not by itself* improve your chances of getting a place on a health professional pre-registration course, however the transferable skills and understanding or core concepts such as confidentiality, infection prevention and control and your transferable skills from dealing with patients can make a difference to you getting that offer.

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/volunteer.aspx

most counties / districts are all ways recruiting for first aiders etc. even if there isn't an advert in the vacancies section
Reply 386
Original post by zippyRN
How old are you as if you are 16 or older joining an adult unit as a young person is probably more relevant that joining cadets .

membership of SJA does *not by itself* improve your chances of getting a place on a health professional pre-registration course, however the transferable skills and understanding or core concepts such as confidentiality, infection prevention and control and your transferable skills from dealing with patients can make a difference to you getting that offer.

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/volunteer.aspx

most counties / districts are all ways recruiting for first aiders etc. even if there isn't an advert in the vacancies section

Im going to turn 16 this august. So how long is the course?
Reply 387
Can someone find out for me if they are in the Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire if they have a Trainee first aider course coming up soon, i am going to ask my superintendent if i could attend one somewhere else, because the next course is not till next year.
Original post by Mrbobby
Can someone find out for me if they are in the Lincolnshire or Nottinghamshire if they have a Trainee first aider course coming up soon, i am going to ask my superintendent if i could attend one somewhere else, because the next course is not till next year.

or you could just get your unit leader to Ask your Area Manager or go direct to Mr. Howie ... the east and west Midlands regions are now starting to get their regional staff structures settled down after the regionalisation March ...

in terms of going else where that might be a possibly either into derbyshire or L,R+N depending on where you are in Lincs +Notts , or east or west district s in NE region if you are In the north of lincs or notts this would probably have to be cleared at district level.
Im going to turn 16 this august. So how long is the course?

which course ?

there's 40 -50 hours of training in induction, TFA and FA which will usually be done as day courses over a period of several weeks / a few months, you'll laos have the opportunity to attending training at the unit you are registered with and possibly other local units as well, there may also be other courses or training events for your area/ district/ region that you can go on ...
Original post by SuperFantasticB
Does anyone know exactly how the scenarios for the community first aid assessment (to become a member) are acted out and what they skills they cover in one scenario

generally the first aid level assessments consist of 2 or 3 parts

1. will test 'life support' skills so resus, recovery, aed etc

2. will test casualty managmeent and treating injuries like wounds and limb / joint injuries

in an assessment you'll have you as first aider, an assessor ( who may or may not also be a 'bystander' ) and a 'casualty simulator' - for resus it;s rescusci anne / ambuman etc for other scenarios it's an actual person who will act as though they have the injuries you need to treat

you need to use your AMEGA plan and treat the patient
Original post by zippyRN
x

Just wondering, when I move up to Adults from Cadets will I become a TFA?
Reply 392
Original post by zippyRN
which course ?

there's 40 -50 hours of training in induction, TFA and FA which will usually be done as day courses over a period of several weeks / a few months, you'll laos have the opportunity to attending training at the unit you are registered with and possibly other local units as well, there may also be other courses or training events for your area/ district/ region that you can go on ...

Im new to all this so i dont know what TFA and FA are but as long as it ends before my a levels begin then im up for it. So how do i sign up to cadets? can you give me a link if its online please

I really want to do this it sounds relly fun and rewarding in terms of the skills ill gain and the help i could potentially give to people
(edited 11 years ago)
Im new to all this so i dont know what TFA and FA are but as long as it ends before my a levels begin then im up for it. So how do i sign up to cadets? can you give me a link if its online please

I really want to do this it sounds relly fun and rewarding in terms of the skills ill gain and the help i could potentially give to people

TFA = trainee first aider.

FA = first aider.
Reply 394
I just filled in the online application how long does it normally take for them to get back to you? also i live in Croydon and my county is Surrey but they had the option London for county? last time i checked London was a City :confused:
Original post by Natalie21
Just wondering, when I move up to Adults from Cadets will I become a TFA?

no, because Trainee FAs are new to the organisation adult members, a cadet moving up would go on duty as a cadet until they had done the Adult FA course - whether stand alone or part of the 'operational apprentice' scheme that is now starting ...
I just filled in the online application how long does it normally take for them to get back to you? also i live in Croydon and my county is Surrey but they had the option London for county? last time i checked London was a City :confused:

London for SJA is region of it's own and covers the M25 / Greater London Authority area

some people on the periphery of London attend units that are part of the London Region and there are addresses within the GLA area that have none London Post codes ...
Reply 397
Original post by zippyRN
London for SJA is region of it's own and covers the M25 / Greater London Authority area

some people on the periphery of London attend units that are part of the London Region and there are addresses within the GLA area that have none London Post codes ...

Oh right well how long does it normally take for them to reply?

the link to the on-line enquiry form and the telephones have been given a number of times in earlier messages ...

https://www.sja.org.uk/volunteering/register.asp for the on line form

or ring your local County / district HQ who should be in the phone book
Original post by zippyRN
no, because Trainee FAs are new to the organisation adult members, a cadet moving up would go on duty as a cadet until they had done the Adult FA course - whether stand alone or part of the 'operational apprentice' scheme that is now starting ...

Okay cool! So once I take the Adult FA course and pass, and I'm 18 I'll be a FA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending