The Student Room Group

Is it fair?

Scroll to see replies

Could always just encourage the private construction of more institutions of higher learning. :teehee:
But you forget that many British students learn at foreign institutions. I next year will be one of these students. Universites have an exchange system (kind of). If one foreign uni lets its students study in the UK then in return the UK students get to study over there.
is it fair that all home students can get financial aid whereas the international students can't?

universities want to admit international students, one of the reasons is because internationals pay higher fees.
Reply 23
Are people with top grades really struggling to get in to uni? surely its the candidate's fault for not having a backup plan and putting some less prestigious unis down on their application.

...i don't think that made any sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Clez
you could use it

Cheap shot. How well do you communicate in your second language? It may be that you are very fluent and indistinguishable from a native speaker but is it really fair to try to score grammar points this way?

im not at all against international students in general, I just meant in the current economic climate, problems with fewer places for home students at university and high unemployment rate. Sorry if you were offended.

In the current economic climate we need international students even more, they bring a huge amount of money into the education system. Our universities probably couldn't function at the current level without them. Less int. students would quite likely mean less places for home students.

That may not be a bad thing though, there are far too many people at university who are ill equipped and who should probably be pursuing vocational courses. The idea that it's 'university or fail' has caused huge problems for many people. You only have to look at the drop out rate for some of the 'easy access' universities to understand my point.
Reply 25
Original post by GStevens
Cheap shot. How well do you communicate in your second language? It may be that you are very fluent and indistinguishable from a native speaker but is it really fair to try to score grammar points this way?

In the current economic climate we need international students even more, they bring a huge amount of money into the education system. Our universities probably couldn't function at the current level without them. Less int. students would quite likely mean less places for home students.

That may not be a bad thing though, there are far too many people at university who are ill equipped and who should probably be pursuing vocational courses. The idea that it's 'university or fail' has caused huge problems for many people. You only have to look at the drop out rate for some of the 'easy access' universities to understand my point.

yet twenty five odd years ago when university was free and purely government funded, comparatively few internationals were enrolled?
Reply 26
Original post by Ham22
Are people with top grades really struggling to get in to uni? surely its the candidate's fault for not having a backup plan and putting some less prestigious unis down on their application.

Right on the button.
Just in the short time I've been on this site I have seen people who have applied to 5 top unis for heavily subscribed course asking if their AAB results are up to scratch. I saw one whose choices all required LNAT. A bit of an off day and they have screwed up beyond repair. They have no safety and will be whining very soon that they didn't get a place.

I doubt that many people with top grades fail to get a place, just a few who were unlucky or ill advised. But they make the Daily Mail in a huge 'TOP STUDENT FAILS TO GET UNIVERSITY PLACE DUE TO FOREIGNERS TAKING ALL OUR PLACES'.
Reply 27
Original post by Clez
yet twenty five odd years ago when university was free and purely government funded, comparatively few internationals were enrolled?

And this is relevent because?
What, nothing has changed in that time?
The same number of people go to uni now that went 25 years ago?
There are the same number of unis?
The government has a bottomless pit of money to fund education?
Personally I believe that education, at least up to first degree, should be free. An educated population benefits the country in so many ways.
But let's get real, there is a finite purse and if we are going to continue with the daft idea that everyone, regardless of academic aptitude, should go to uni then it has to be funded from somewhere.

And lets not forget that it was the OP which says 'in this economic climate', or words to that effect, obviously recognising the financial issue even it it does suggest an absurd resolution.
Original post by pinkangelgirl

Original post by pinkangelgirl
no its not fair at all. Like you say, thousands of British students every year- many with very high grades dont get accepted into University here, yet Internationals are allowed in, mostly due to the fact they are paying higher in fees :/

Highly agree that its unfair on British workers being out of jobs as well, whilst many internationals are filling our vacancies.

This isnt anything to do with colour or religion, but when is Britain going to put British people first? (and before i get accused of racism, a lot of British people are black, white, muslim etc and so this is NOT to do wit race or religion).

you, my friend, speak a hell of a lot of sense :smile:

I am in no way a racist, and have nothing against international students, but with British students finding it harder and harder to find places at university in their own country, I agree with you pinkangelgirl, Britain needs to put its British students first.

I don't mean to cause offense to anyone by saying this, and I have nothing against foreign people, I'm just stating my opinion :smile:
Original post by Ham22

Too true I see people on this site who don't have a back up and apply for the oversubscribed courses because their pride stops them from applying to a place that aren't in the top 15. It is their own fault.

As for the internationals, the spaces allocated to them are separate from those for the home students. The government subsidies our degrees so they can't afford to pay for too many, the internationals are just extras if they were not there home students can't take their place because he government can't afford to pay for more. You won't get preference over a foreign applicant when applying for a job, so I don't see why it is unfair.
Reply 30
Original post by Clez
But although place allocation is clearly assigned between the groups of home students and international students, the number of places on courses and places in class/lecture sizes remains the same. If you had 200 seats in a lecture theatre, you couldnt fill it up with home students and then tack a little wooden shed on the side for international student who were in "separate spaces". If there are 200 seats, that must include both groups, where there could be X more spaces for the X number of home students who might not have got in based on current international educational law.

I know the benefits that international students bring to the country, and I am in no way against the theory of reaching out to other nations to provide education, but in THE CURRENT CLIMATE time period, i think it is imperative that the government ensure progress and achievement to home students BEFORE encompassing international students into the higher education agenda.

So, basically, what you're saying is, you want to force the universities to take in students who bring them less money, thus giving them less funding so they have to close down departments and shrink class sizes, so there are less places overall.

Besides, if there are too many for a lecture hall, they find a bigger one or split the class. It happens.

Again, international students have nothing to do with home students. The places for home students are determined by the government/funding bodies. Universities can take in as many or as few international students after they've filled their home quota as they like. Ridding unis of international students will not make more room for home students and will only lead to weaker universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending