The Student Room Group

ways to keep warm in the winter periods

delete
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wear all your clothes at the same time.

i've had no heating for 2 years in my house...
i carry my duvet EVERYWHERE.

Works for me i sleep with one on!
Reply 3
Do you have a fireplace?
Sleep in fetal position.
Reply 5
Have a hot water bottle with you.
- Drink lots of hot drinks
- Wrap up in lots of layers of clothes & blankets
- Use a hot water bottle
Reply 7
Do some exercise! Seriously, when you feel cold, try and do a few push ups/jog on the spot and you will soon feel warmer

Wear a hat. I know it looks funny wearing it inside, but most heat lost through head and all that jazz.

keep doors closed. Draw your curtains, try and all stay in the same place. Like, if you can do your homework in the kitchen with others around, sit downstairs.

Drink warm beverages.

Get those microwave heating things.

Go to bed early.
Reply 8
I'm sitting in my freezing cold flat studying (well - procrastinating) with a hot water bottle right now... No idea how much money I'm using boiling the kettle to fill it, but it's only once every few hours, so can't be too much if you don't heat more than you need :smile:
Reply 9
Reply 10
Original post by scorpio22
Hello.
we don't really have a lot of money in the household as one of my parents have been struck off work .And can't afford the heating.I usually wear two pairs of socks,tights and bed gown.Have you got any suggestions of keeping warm which is affordable?

Bro, i'm really sorry for you :frown:

Some of the places where the cold gets through are the front door and back door, what family does is cover up the areas where outside is flowing through with a carpet.

Keep all windows closed properly........

You could try to buy some Uniqlo heat technology clothing......... or wear woolly/thick clothing......................... or buy a fleece blanket from Ikea
Reply 11
Layer up. Each layer traps air which acts as an insulator. If you are cold then your extremities (hands feet) will be the first to have restricted blood flow and feel cold. Fleece's are very good.
Wear a hat.
Hot water bottle isn't a bad idea.
Get a good duvet.
Thick curtains over the windows will block the cold out at night, if you have draughty windows/doors, block the draught.
Hot drinks/meals work well.
Maybe go to a public library or something during the day where they have heating?

If you get too warm you will sweat, which will cool off and then make you cold so avoid this.
Reply 12
I'm in a similar situation. I generally hide under a duvet with my laptop on the sofa over the Christmas holidays, and I put my PJs and clothes for the next day in the airing cupboard so they are warm when I put them on. :sogood:
Reply 13
Wear mittens instead of gloves! Might be a bit impractical indoors, but i for one get bad circulation and apparently mittens mean your fingers transfer heat energy beteen eachother much better than gloves.

Hope you can get get some heating back on soon x
Bedsocks. Definitely bedsocks. Also, Tesco have value double duvets for £7.50 (don't know how much for a single, but it'll obviously be less) so have 2 duvets on the bed. They also have reasonably priced electric blankets. Tape clear plastic over single glazed windows. Thermal socks and vests (Tesco again. I love Tesco.) Just kitted out my son in Scotland with all of these, plus Tesco (again!) oil-filled storage heater for £19.50, plus delivery.
I like to jog on the spot for ten minutes if I'm feeling cold. It really works! ..and obviously layer up with clothes, and even wear gloves and a scarf if you still feel cold. I find that even if I have several hoodies on, I'm still cold if there's any part of my body uncovered, so gloves are really useful. Cups of tea or coffee are nice as they keep your hands warm! Although that's not entirely free as you'd have to use power to boil the kettle.
Original post by Ham22

Is the woman really small or the scarf really big? (Just to clarify this).
Vodka, surely.

Edit: Or Boverille.
Reply 18
Take your duvet everywhere :smile: as someone said before ...
Original post by Bill_Gates

Original post by Bill_Gates

Works for me i sleep with one on!

I sleep with one next to me :colone: . Oh wait...

Sex raises the body temperature.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending