The Student Room Group

I want to learn a foreign language!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Myda
Yay for Dutch! I was thinking nobody would say that, there was loads of Greek, Latin, Arabic etc. :biggrin:

I want to learn Dutch as well! Are you a native Dutch speaker? :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by vwsl93
I love learning languages! Right now I'm trying to learn a number of them.

Are you currently learning a language?

Share your experience! :biggrin:

Anyone???

same! I just love it.

I currently can somewhat speak punjabi and japanese.

I want to learn hindi, a chinese lang, arabic and spanish/portugese

**note if anyone knows these languages and wants to teach/help me! Please say :smile:**
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
Original post by Lewis :D
If I go to Edinburgh I might to Russian as my outside subject, but seeing as it's so difficult, I might go for an easy Scandinavian language :tongue:. What's your university of choice? :smile:

Ahaha :tongue: But you don't know German (judging from your sig?), so wouldn't a romance language be easier? Lots of people get put off by having to learn Cyrillic for Russian, but that is the easy part, and also it is fun because people can't read what you have written :colone: Which Scandinavian one do you think you would go for?
Erm well I really hope to go to Cambridge. But obviously I probably won't get in! But if I could go there it would be amazing.
Reply 83
Original post by Premachu
same! I just love it.

I currently can somewhat speak punjabi and japanese.

I want to learn hindi, a chinese lang, arabic and spanish/portugese

**note if anyone knows these languages and wants to teach/help me! Please say :smile:**

I know some Cantonese and some Mandarin. Oh, I also know some sentences in Penang Hokkien (all of them are Chinese languages).

:h:
Reply 84
Original post by Etoile
Ahaha :tongue: But you don't know German (judging from your sig?), so wouldn't a romance language be easier? Lots of people get put off by having to learn Cyrillic for Russian, but that is the easy part, and also it is fun because people can't read what you have written :colone: Which Scandinavian one do you think you would go for?
Erm well I really hope to go to Cambridge. But obviously I probably won't get in! But if I could go there it would be amazing.

No, I don't do German. The only other romance languages the unis offer are Italian, Catalan & Portuguese. All of which don't appeal to me, the only romance language I think would interest me other than French and Spanish is Romanian. I learnt a little bit of Swedish in the past though, and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. The only difficulty for me was the way they do plurals, but having learnt Welsh in the past their plurals weren't so bizarre.
What year are you in?
Reply 85
I can speak fluent Dutch, German, French, Arabic, and English.
I lived in Holland for 10 years, so thats my first language, German is closely related and quite similar and I picked that up during A level and I was an exchange student in Munich for a while. My family speak French fluently, it is their first language but we prefer to speak Dutch. My parents learnt arabic at school, and they passed it onto me. I started attending arabic school and I mastered the language in about 2 years.

I want to learn Italian and Latin some time in the future ..
Reply 86
Original post by Etoile

Yay! Another Cambridge applicant! :h:
Reply 87
Original post by 344302
I can speak fluent Dutch, German, French, Arabic, and English.
I lived in Holland for 10 years, so thats my first language, German is closely related and quite similar and I picked that up during A level and I was an exchange student in Munich for a while. My family speak French fluently, it is their first language but we prefer to speak Dutch. My parents learnt arabic at school, and they passed it onto me. I started attending arabic school and I mastered the language in about 2 years.

I want to learn Italian and Latin some time in the future ..

Hm... Dutch and French... Are you Belgian?

that's a lot of languages you speak!
Reply 88
Original post by Lewis :D
No, I don't do German. The only other romance languages the unis offer are Italian, Catalan & Portuguese. All of which don't appeal to me, the only romance language I think would interest me other than French and Spanish is Romanian. I learnt a little bit of Swedish in the past though, and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. The only difficulty for me was the way they do plurals, but having learnt Welsh in the past their plurals weren't so bizarre.
What year are you in?

Oh, fair enough :smile: And the good thing about Swedish is that if you know it then you can understand most of Norwegian and Danish as well! Swedish can be really hard to pronounce though, especially the northern accents or so I am told. Welsh sounds so nice too! :biggrin: Is it compulsory?
Also, I have to say that I have seen you when I've been stalking the 2012 language applicants thread (:ninjagirl:), so good luck & congrats on your offers! and also I'm surprised there are so few males..
I am in year 12 at the moment :smile:

Original post by vwsl93
Yay! Another Cambridge applicant! :h:

Yay! Are you applying this year or next year?
Reply 89
Original post by vwsl93
I want to learn Dutch as well! Are you a native Dutch speaker? :smile:

Hehe, yup I am.
Reply 90
Original post by Etoile
Oh, fair enough :smile: And the good thing about Swedish is that if you know it then you can understand most of Norwegian and Danish as well! Swedish can be really hard to pronounce though, especially the northern accents or so I am told. Welsh sounds so nice too! :biggrin: Is it compulsory?
Also, I have to say that I have seen you when I've been stalking the 2012 language applicants thread (:ninjagirl:), so good luck & congrats on your offers! and also I'm surprised there are so few males..

Yay! Are you applying this year or next year?

This year! My interviews were crap! I can't believe I even got an interview... :lolwut:
Reply 91
Original post by vwsl93
I know some Cantonese and some Mandarin. Oh, I also know some sentences in Penang Hokkien (all of them are Chinese languages).

:h:

cool. Are you learning it out of interest or are you chinese?
Reply 92
Original post by Etoile

I love Scandinavia though, I'd probably choose Norwegian if I had to choose. It's a lot easier and it's the 'mediator' of the three languages apparently! :tongue: Yeah, it's compulsory from the age of 4 until 16. Likewise, if you're a Welsh-speaker, English is compulsory for 4-16 year olds. You should post, we won't mind, it's nice to get some conversation going there! And thank you, I'm just hoping for an offer off Edinburgh, I wish I wasn't so hasty when deciding my options. I now realise I don't like most of them :tongue:
Reply 93
Original post by Myda
Hehe, yup I am.

Ooh, I want to learn Dutch!

I'm going to say this in Swedish: jag vill lära mig nederländska!
Reply 94
After studying a long list of languages over the years I settled on Korean and I'm currently at university in South Korea on my year abroad as a part of my degree... it's an amazing language! :smile:

Still, Spanish and Portuguese will always hold a special place in my heart. I will always speak them both, no matter what happens.
Reply 95
Original post by Premachu
cool. Are you learning it out of interest or are you chinese?

I am Chinese. :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by vwsl93
Hm... Dutch and French... Are you Belgian?

that's a lot of languages you speak!

Nope. I'm Dutch. I was born in Holland and lived there for 10-11 years before moving to London.
My parents speak French because their country was colonised by the french so they went to French schools back then. I travelled to Brussels 3-4 times a year for about 10 years because a lot of my family live there so my French got better there :smile:

Why did I get negged?
I wasnt trying to boast about my frequent visits to Brussels. I'm not some filthy rich kid. It costs about 20 quid on the train from Holland to Belgium. Morons -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by 0w3n-69
After studying a long list of languages over the years I settled on Korean and I'm currently at university in South Korea on my year abroad as a part of my degree... it's an amazing language! :smile:

Still, Spanish and Portuguese will always hold a special place in my heart. I will always speak them both, no matter what happens.

Random, but can you understand the Korean they speak in North Korea? How much difference is there between the two?
Reply 98
Original post by 344302
Nope. I'm Dutch. I was born in Holland and lived there for 10-11 years before moving to London.
My parents speak French because their country was colognised by the french so they went to French schools back then. I travelled to Brussels 3-4 times a year for about 10 years because a lot of my family live there so my French got better there :smile:

Aren't there a lot of different Dutch dialects? Do you speak a dialect?
Reply 99
Im learning :smile:

French , Spanish , Italian and Portuguese :h:

:smartass: :bandit:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending