The Student Room Group

At what age is it weird to live at home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
well, what's wrong with a guy staying at home if he's looking after his parents? But, I don't think you should judge someone based on whether or not they still live at home.
Reply 41
Why are there two threads for this?
Confused.
Original post by iPhone
That's uni. Wait till you get to the real world and you'll find that its tough and not as easy as you think.

I fully realise. I said I would judge if someone had the means to move out but didn't.
Reply 43
Original post by MyselfEtAl
Why are there two threads for this?
Confused.

Accident-decided society might get more views but hadn't realised that I'd clicked post here!

I'm not attacking peopl who live at home, don't get me wrong, especially in this climate! Just in this situation he has had nothing stopping him moving out and yet hasn't, and his room, trust me is tiny.
Reply 44
Original post by harmony23
Accident-decided society might get more views but hadn't realised that I'd clicked post here!

I'm not attacking peopl who live at home, don't get me wrong, especially in this climate! Just in this situation he has had nothing stopping him moving out and yet hasn't, and his room, trust me is tiny.

Maybe he isn't financially ready to move out and his room is the only one available in the house? What dyou want him to do? Build an extension? Move out to please you?
Reply 45
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
I fully realise. I said I would judge if someone had the means to move out but didn't.

i dont mean this to be rude, but who are u to judge?
i happen to own my own home on a joint mortgage with my parents, and i rent it out and live at home :biggrin:
Reply 46
im coming up for 24, still living at home. Just because I am addicted to cars. I can afford to move out no problem. I spend too much money on my car though, its a disease. Im thinking about upgrading to the next model instead of potentially moving out. I know I know, immature. I can't have both. I need to grow up and move out, but cars are destroying my life!
Reply 47
I intend to live at home for my whole life...why is that weird? I think wanting to live on the streets is weird.

Of course, that home may change over the years, but it's still my home wherever I am living.
If he gets on with his parents and have no other committments (i.e. are married or "living as married" with someone, or have children) then frankly, moving out would be a completely idiotic thing to do. If he doesn't earn much then there's no way he'll be able to afford anywhere decent. If he does have money then he's better off saving it up for a few years until he can put down a deposit on his own property, rather than throwing it down the drain as rent.

That said, the "teen room" is a bit pathetic, sounds like he's still living at home as "his parents child". At some point, he should at least make sure that the roles are redefined so that he's another adult living there, and in turn is respected as such. Peter Pan syndrome is your only real concern.
Original post by hobo06
I intend to live at home for my whole life...why is that weird? I think wanting to live on the streets is weird.

Of course, that home may change over the years, but it's still my home wherever I am living.

Strong username to post content ratio.
Reply 50
Original post by Bhumbauze
If he gets on with his parents and have no other committments (i.e. are married or "living as married" with someone, or have children) then frankly, moving out would be a completely idiotic thing to do. If he doesn't earn much then there's no way he'll be able to afford anywhere decent. If he does have money then he's better off saving it up for a few years until he can put down a deposit on his own property, rather than throwing it down the drain as rent.

Exactly, 100% agree.
Reply 51
Why don't you ask him why he hasn't moved out? It might be something as simple as he hasn't found decent flatmates yet? As for teenage room syndrome...Why not offer to decorate/furnish it together as his christmas present? Two birds one stone :wink: X
If I could stay at home without going ****ing insane I'd gladly stat until I had enough to purchase a small place. I don't think he's wierd, I envy him.
Reply 53
I think if you're 35 and living at home you should either be autistic or Indian.
Reply 54
I'd say about 22+ unless one is in education.
Reply 55
Original post by Piko_Piko
But someday a girl might like you....she'd run a mile once she saw the Star Wars duvet cover.

I have a 30-something year old friend who still lives with his mum, his bed comes complete with both Spiderman AND Star Wars duvet covers, he still has a (rather lovely) girlfriend.

Obviously if she's running a mile from such badassery she's not the right girl anyway.:smug:
Reply 56
25 is the absolute limit. And you should be paying keep anything past 18, or 16 if in full time work.

When I move back from uni, first port of call is the job, second is finding a houseshare to move into cheaply while I save for a deposit on a mortgage.
I don't think theres enough pressure on people these days to move out of their parental home and grow up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
I know someone who's almost 40 and she's lived with her parents her entire life. She lived at home at uni and drove to her lectures.
Reply 58
If he can still live at home and he's happy with that, good for him!!

I would do it too if living at home was a pleasant experience. But it's not :tongue:
Recently moved out and planning to do everything I can to not go back living at home during my years in uni and afterwards.
But that's just me.

Nothing wrong with living at home and tbh I'd say that it gets "weird" living at home after the age of...35-40.
If I am ever dating a 35year old man who still stays at home and has a full time job, that would put me off, yes. I'd like my man to be somewhat independent at such an age.
But 24 is still very young!
Original post by Megaross
25 is the absolute limit. And you should be paying keep anything past 18, or 16 if in full time work.

When I move back from uni, first port of call is the job, second is finding a houseshare to move into cheaply while I save for a deposit on a mortgage.
I don't think theres enough pressure on people these days to move out of their parental home and grow up.

I think you have a fairly limited view of the parent-child relationship. There's absolutely no reason (at all) that a parent can't transition from a "caregiver" role into a "friendship" role with their offspring when they reach adulthood - and therefore no reason that someone can't "houseshare" with their parents whilst saving up the money for a house deposit of their own. Probably in a much nicer property, in more comfort and more cheaply than in a damp, dank "young adult" house share with some dodgy landlord. Really it's mainly down to the parents, I suppose. No one who is still acting like (and being treated like) a child with their parents should stay, for the good of their own personal development.

Paying keep... it depends. If I have plenty of cash I wouldn't expect my child to pay anything - especially if she was saving up for her own property. What would be the point? It would just be eating into those savings for no reason. If I'm not in a position to comfortably support everyone, and she's working, then I might want a share of bills, food etc... but, I'd never ask for rent of any kind. My home is my childrens' just as much as it is mine, and it always will be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending