The Student Room Group

Kings or Bristol for LLB?

Hello fellow lawyers, I've been given offers from King's College and Bristol for the LLB. I'm in a serious dilemma as to which I should choose. I've seen both and done my research and I've found that I prefer Bristol as a university. However, I've been told by people that King's is definitely a better place to study law and my career prospects would be improved with a degree from there. But I'm quite certain that I would be happier at Bristol- I loved the place and I want to leave London. I realise King's is about 10 places higher than Bristol in the league tables which is quite a bit and very well known for law but I like to think that KCL is probably marginally better than Bristol in the eyes of employers. If there is a small difference I will choose Bristol over King's. How does everyone feel about Bristol vs. King's? Thanks so much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you'd prefer to go to Bristol, go to Bristol. It's not as if there's a huge difference between the two and if you prefer one over the other, you're more likely to have a more fulfilling student life which will enhance your future.
Reply 2
Exactly... Go to the one where you feel happier in..
Reply 3
As other people have said, go to where you feel happier. But I think Kings has a slightly better reputation than Bristol.
Reply 4
Even as a KCL law student, I'd say Bristol. Once you get to Uni, you realise that the place is often more important than the course (where there is probably negligible - if any - difference between the two anyway).
Reply 5
Lauren18
Even as a KCL law student, I'd say Bristol. Once you get to Uni, you realise that the place is often more important than the course (where there is probably negligible - if any - difference between the two anyway).

i hope this doesn't mean you don't enjoy Kings?:confused:
Reply 6
In my head Kings and Bristol are about equal in reputation, although some firms do seem to prefer the London law schools. League tables don't mean an awful lot, from what I've heard employers like Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Durham, KCL & Bristol (obviously there are some more but I can't remember them!), despite them not being the top 7 in the league tables. Bristol is a traditional, well-established university and that gives it a good reputation. Plus obviously the course is pretty hardcore.

I'm at Bristol and I'd say come here if that's where you prefer. As everyone has said, the difference between Kings and Bristol is negligible. I think thoroughly enjoying being at uni makes up for any difference between them anyway!

Cxx
Reply 7
pezz
i hope this doesn't mean you don't enjoy Kings?:confused:

No! I ADORE King's! What I was trying to say was that, given the OP's comments about how he prefers Bristol, he should go there since the place is just as (if not more so) important as the course. I love London, and chose King's with absolutely no regrets. In the same way, I was suggesting that he should perhaps ignore the slightly better reputation of King's and go to Bristol if that's where he feels he'd be happiest.
Reply 8
londonlass
Hello fellow lawyers, I've been given offers from King's College and Bristol for the LLB. I'm in a serious dilemma as to which I should choose. I've seen both and done my research and I've found that I prefer Bristol as a university. However, I've been told by people that King's is definitely a better place to study law and my career prospects would be improved with a degree from there. But I'm quite certain that I would be happier at Bristol- I loved the place and I want to leave London.

I chose KCL over Bristol for Law.

However, if you were to go to KCL you may be unhappy and come out with a lower degree overall - The marginally higher reputation of KCL will not compensate for a low degree classification as comparable with a very strong degree from Bristol.

Go to Bristol :smile:
Reply 9
Dreama
I chose KCL over Bristol for Law.

However, if you were to go to KCL you may be unhappy and come out with a lower degree overall - The marginally higher reputation of KCL will not compensate for a low degree classification as comparable with a very strong degree from Bristol.

Go to Bristol :smile:

You barely scrape the top 15..
Go to Bristol. It has a better reputation than Kings as an overall uni anyway. For law they are in the same group. If you really like Bristol why would you want to consider a lower ranked uni?
Reply 11
2easy
You barely scrape the top 15..

If you read my post carefully you will notice that I wasn't making reference to League Tables. :smile:
Reply 12
Dreama
If you read my post carefully you will notice that I wasn't making reference to League Tables. :smile:

That's my point. You're saying KCL has a higher reputation than Bristol, and I'm saying all the published tables contradict you.
Reply 13
2easy
That's my point. You're saying KCL has a higher reputation than Bristol, and I'm saying all the published tables contradict you.

I actually stated that King's had a reputation which was marginally higher. In my opinion this is true. Actually, this seems to be a recurring opinion from quite a few people in this Thread, I am therefore confused as to why your criticism has veered solely toward myself. I shall address it all the same.

An argument supported merely by League Tables will rarely get you far around here. This is why I deliberately did not make reference to them in my advice to the original poster, as I deem them rather unhelpful in determining anything at all. The immense variations in League Table positioning between sources and dates suggests to me that they are highly subjective, and if you take the time to view some of the Sticky topics in relation to League Tables you will see that this is a rather common opinion. I therefore stated my opinion on the relative reputations of both institutions in relation to the job-market, an opinion which incidentally had already been stated in the Thread by other members. The original poster did not question the positioning of KCL and Bristol in the league tables, rather the relative career prospects they would enjoy following study at either institution.

Of course you are entitled to disagree with me and the other posters who suggested KCL had a slightly better reputation/advantage in regard to career prospects. Indeed, this would be much appreciated as it would give the original poster the diverse opinions they requested. I therefore remain utterly confused as to why this became an issue for you at all.

I hope this addresses your criticism. I presume that you are a Bristol student and I wish you all the best with your studies. :smile:

D xxx
Reply 14
:dancing2: Go Jo! :dancing2:

By the way 2easy... 2 people who go to KCL and do Law and love it have both decided in favour of Bristol now so there's no point in starting the old League Table debate :smile:
Plus if you go to KCL law school, you have the honour of being the prime target of abuse from UCL lawyers. :smile:
Reply 16
^ Because we're all so very frightened of you. :wink:
If you look at Lawz' thread (it's one of the stickied ones in this forum) the general conclusion seems to be that universities are in tiers for law, with the top tier being Oxbridge, and the next tier consisting of about 7 or 8 unis which are all pretty much on a par with one another. Bristol and KCL are around the same in reputation, although Kings may benefit from a geographical point of view by being in close proximity to all the top firms, and therefore to work experience opportunities. They're both top universities, especially for law, and so career-wise it won't really make much difference where you go. So go where you'll be happiest.
PS - if you go to Bristol you will be envied by all the non-lawyers who don't get to have lecture in such an amazing building as you! :wink:

(Jealous Bristol English student.)

The cost of living in Bristol is also lower than in London, and if you've lived in London all your life I can imagine it would be nice to make a change. You'd also be guaranteed accommodation in halls at Bristol, and the halls are all nice here.
Reply 19
KCL does not have better career prospects than Bristol. The calibre of your degree from either institution would be the pivotal factor in employment. League tables are rather immaterial to be honest. Both uni's have solid reputations. On the other hand, having worked for Europe's largest property consultancy (granted, not law), the HR chap, delineated a preferential list of universities which did not include KCL. It was (as best I remember) as follows;
1. Oxbridge.
2. LSE.
3. UCL.
4. Bristol.
5. Durham.
Nb. He also seemed a fan of imperial but said its science basis meant the firm received fewer applications from their graduates.

Latest

Trending

Trending