The Student Room Group

Student fees.

Ok, im gunna say it, i have NO IDEA about fees, loans, grants, living costs etc. Im sure theres places on here that tell you everything i need to know, but since im applying this year, could somebody give me a run down on these things?

For example, do you get loaned £9000 a year by the government/seperate agency to pay for just the course? Or is this 9000 pounds split between the course and paying your accomodation costs? And then you can get grants to cover things such as living costs? do you have to apply every year for the £9000? Any info would be much appreciated, need to sort this out :smile:
Reply 1
The bulk of the information is here (assuming you're from England):

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_194804

To cover the costs of studying you can apply for:
•a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees in full
•a Maintenance Loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only)
•a Maintenance Grant if your household income is less than £42,600 (full-time students only)
•scholarships and bursaries from colleges and universities
•extra financial help if you have a disability or children or adults depending on you

I'll assume that you will be 18/19 at the start that lives with your parents and are a UK national.

Whether you live at home or move away to study, or study within London will affect the amount of "maintenance loan" you get.

You will need to re-apply every year you study.

Your entitlement for funding will be: length of new course + 1 gift year (if you need to re-take, switch course etc) - previous study

The main finance on offer will be: Tuition fee loan covering the cost of your course each year, a maintenance loan (everyone will be entitled to this, but how much depends on your household income), a maintenance grant which you do not pay back (this depends on household income - if under £25k you get the full amount, if over £46k then you're not eligible), and also a university bursary - the amount will depend on your household income/choice of uni.

Remember when you apply: if you want more than the minimum maintenance loan to tick the box where you want to be assessed on household income, and you will have to provide your parents p60 from 3 years ago. Also, to tick the box to share your information with the university (so they can assess you for a bursary).

That's the basics I can think of, if you've any more specific questions fire away.

Also, be aware - the SF system right now isn't showing all courses in all universities. The general advice is to wait until the new year if this is the case for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Shani
The bulk of the information is here (assuming you're from England):

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_194804

I'll assume that you will be 18/19 at the start that lives with your parents and are a UK national.

Whether you live at home or move away to study, or study within London will affect the amount of "maintenance loan" you get.

You will need to re-apply every year you study.

Your entitlement for funding will be: length of new course + 1 gift year (if you need to re-take, switch course etc) - previous study

The main finance on offer will be: Tuition fee loan covering the cost of your course each year, a maintenance loan (everyone will be entitled to this, but how much depends on your household income), a maintenance grant which you do not pay back (this depends on household income - if under £25k you get the full amount, if over £46k then you're not eligible), and also a university bursary - the amount will depend on your household income/choice of uni.

Remember when you apply: if you want more than the minimum maintenance loan to tick the box where you want to be assessed on household income, and you will have to provide your parents p60 from 3 years ago. Also, to tick the box to share your information with the university (so they can assess you for a bursary).

That's the basics I can think of, if you've any more specific questions fire away.

Also, be aware - the SF system right now isn't showing all courses in all universities. The general advice is to wait until the new year if this is the case for you.

Thats absolutely fantastic, youve made it a lot clearer, thanks for replying!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending