The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Medicine?

Hi! I am just wondering which Uni - oxford or cambridge would be better for Medicine.
I'm an Asian and someone once told me that the possibility of getting into Cambridge for Asians is lower?
I know Oxford bases its shortlisting applicants on their GCSE grades,
I got like 8 A*s and 2 As in IGCSEs, are these good enough?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being Asian has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you will get in to Cambridge - if you are good enough, your race has nothing to do with it.
... Afterall, there aren't any other universities that could possibly do medicine.
Original post by crazyfool
Hi! I am just wondering which Uni - oxford or cambridge would be better for Medicine.
I'm an Asian and someone once told me that the possibility of getting into Cambridge for Asians is lower?
I know Oxford bases its shortlisting applicants on their GCSE grades,
I got like 8 A*s and 2 As in IGCSEs, are these good enough?

Thanks!

I think I speak for everyone when I say

'**** off'
:rofl: no one cares if you're Asian it does nothing to your application.

There are many medical schools that are absolutely fantastic. Don't get sucked into Oxbridge just because of the name, do some more research and you'll find that every medical school is competitive.
Reply 5
Original post by Classical Liberal
I think I speak for everyone when I say

'**** off'

Thank you so much; I thought I was going to have to say this.
Reply 6

Original post by Vazzyb
x

lol lol lol
Reply 7
Whichever Uni you decide on is entirely your choice. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Reply 8
Depends. What makes you interested in Oxbridge anyway?
Reply 9

Absolute bull****.

Whoever said that is a moron, seriously. I honestly can't stand people who say things like that - has he been to Cambridge? Is he aware of the internal workings of both Oxford's and Cambridge's admissions systems?

Sorry to get mad but it's so annoying when people who have no idea makes pompous (and significant) misrepresentations like that.

Oxford are know to take more of a 'chance' with people who may not have as good grades but really prove themselves at interview / Oxford's own admission exams, whereas Cambridge place more weight on GCSEs and crucially ask for AS %s to discriminate on. If Asians can't get good grades at school maybe that accounts for it, or maybe (probably) the person who told you that is just an idiot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Obviously I'm biased, but Cambridge does full-body dissection and I believe Oxford does not. Like other people say though, all the medical schools are as good as each other in teaching you medicine, they just do it in different ways.
Reply 11
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that Oxbridge wasn't necessarily the best for Medicine anyway?

Ps. Why is this in the 'News and Current Affairs' forum?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by DJkG.1

Oxford are know to take more of a 'chance' with people who may not have as good grades but really prove themselves at interview / Oxford's own admission exams, whereas Cambridge place more weight on GCSEs and crucially ask for AS %s to discriminate on. If Asians can't get good grades at school maybe that accounts for it, or maybe (probably) the person who told you that is just an idiot.

For medicine - Oxford combine a % of A* at interview along with the BMAT to draw up an interview shortlist. You need a very high % GCSE A* to stand a realistic chance (the stats are all on a website along with graphs and so on). Oxford interview much less than Cambridge - who typically interview around 90% (Oxford not more than 40%) and some colleges give candidates a chance even before the BMAT results (which Oxford don't).
Reply 13
Original post by Dewsy
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that Oxbridge wasn't necessarily the best for Medicine anyway?

You are not wrong, nobody can claim that title.
Reply 14
Original post by Organ
For medicine - Oxford combine a % of A* at interview along with the BMAT to draw up an interview shortlist. You need a very high % GCSE A* to stand a realistic chance (the stats are all on a website along with graphs and so on). Oxford interview much less than Cambridge - who typically interview around 90% (Oxford not more than 40%) and some colleges give candidates a chance even before the BMAT results (which Oxford don't).

Yep, I'm aware of that buddy but thanks for adding it to the thread. I was countering the general assertion that 'the possibility of getting into Cambridge for Asians is lower'.
Reply 15
Lol is this thread fo real?

OP, I think your really lived up to your name with this masterpiece thread.
Reply 16
Original post by DJkG.1
Yep, I'm aware of that buddy but thanks for adding it to the thread. I was countering the general assertion that 'the possibility of getting into Cambridge for Asians is lower'.

Haha, just noticed he picked Cambridge and not Oxbridge, wonder why Cambridge would have institutional Asian hatred :teehee:
Reply 17
cambridge does a year of research as well
Your grades are fine. Just don't get sucked into the idea that Oxbridge is the great place for medicine. Oh, being Asian won't affect your application at all.
Reply 19
What kind of an asian are you? Not sure if you're aware but there are 48 different types of Asians.

Thread/

Latest

Trending

Trending