The Student Room Group

Why are my legs this big with cellulite if exercise is my life??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alio~
Ive been very active most of my life I do weights and sprints all year round (im a sprinter for my club in yorkshire) yet despite training everyday I cant get rid of my big thighs and cellulite. My diet is good im making sure i get protein and I dont eat junk. Im wondering if its the sprints and squating that have caused my legs to be big with cellulite:confused: I know my mum has it bad but she is overweight (im not my upper body is slim) so I don't know what to do. Its off because my legs dont look toned however when I tense them they are rock hard (no fat) with just the bumps of cellulite.:s-smilie: I dont want to stop training, any advice? Heres the cellulite, apparantly excersise is meant to help yet exercise is my lifestyle. Also how come my quads are so big compared to other people who do sports, most lads have slimmer legs than this..

In the 2nd and 3rd pic Ive took a pic of my whole leg but you cant see the cellulite in these for some reason my camera must edit it out:confused: Its there though as the first pic shows.

Your legs are not big! They're ok and in the third picture we can see you have beautiful legs. About the cellulite it might be something related to a contraceptive pill or perhaps you don't drink enough water... Or maybe you use your jeans too tight... There are lots of reason for cellulites, in fact, some experts claim every woman has it... Anyway, in the second and third pictures your legs look ok. Perhaps that's not a big deal, at all.
Reply 21
Try drinking more water, I heard that can help. Also, I'm sure there's products, creams etc, out there that claim to help cellulite - they probably don't work though, and I've not tried them so can't comment. Try googling it.

In all honesty your legs look fine to me. I do quite a lot of exercise too and my thighs are quite big in proportion to the rest of my body, but like you, it's mostly muscle. I have some cellulite just below my bum, think most females do so it's pretty normal. Like the guy above said, being healthy is what counts. :smile:
Original post by alio~
I cant see how to improve my diet, I aim for a balanced one.

less carbs...

all carbs eaten should be brown rice brown bread etc....

you should eat more meat particularly white meat and fish. Grill your meat don't fry or deep fat fry it.

eat more vegetables and fruit.

it's not about quanitity it's about what you eat and the proportions.

The irony of women is that they're obsessed with dieting but they have such poor understanding of how to do it correctly.
Reply 23
Original post by alio~
I do weighted squats twice a week as part of my training, along with lunges and the interval stuff have done for years. I dont have time for more workouts as Im working all day and work out every evening (apart from saturday).

As for building muscle in my legs it fall feels like muscle when i tense. Im worried more weights will make them even bigger.

Ah i should have known, most sprinters do squats for the explosive power, not to insult you but are you deffinatley pushing yourself as hard as you can in these squats, sorry i know i have off days.

It could be your bodyfat, but you say you keep a healthy diet, have you tried boosting your protein intake with a protein shake, i know a lot of people say you don't need shakes, but if you could increase your protein intake with a low calorie shake that would only add another 100 kcal a day and suppourt muscle growth and sustainability.

Are you worried about leg size for performance reasons or aesthetic reasons, because i would say there is nothing wrong with larger legs if they do not hamper your performance.
Reply 24
Original post by De4thMetalHead
less carbs...

all carbs eaten should be brown rice brown bread etc....

you should eat more meat particularly white meat and fish. Grill your meat don't fry or deep fat fry it.

eat more vegetables and fruit.

it's not about quanitity it's about what you eat and the proportions.

The irony of women is that they're obsessed with dieting but they have such poor understanding of how to do it correctly.

Im not obsessed with dieting. I like my pasta and buy those chicken pasta pots from tesco..come to think of it Ive been eating a lot lately. Other than this though I get my 5 a day and eat eithr eggs, ready brek (is this ok?) or weetabix for breakfast. Though at night I get really hungary so eat a bowl of those chocolate nesquik cereal or honey nut loops. I might just start taking chicken sandwiches with brown bread to work.
Original post by alio~
but then I dont want to lose strength/muscle as I need it.

if you do it correctly, you dont have to lose strength or muscle. Keep the deficit small, make sure you get plenty of protein and because you're a sprinter, cutting out carbs is totally unrealistic - but mainly consume them around workout/training time - and limit carbs at other times of day. So long as you have a caloric deficit, you will lose bodyfat if you keep up the weight training and consume plenty of protein.
Reply 26
Original post by cid
Ah i should have known, most sprinters do squats for the explosive power, not to insult you but are you deffinatley pushing yourself as hard as you can in these squats, sorry i know i have off days.

It could be your bodyfat, but you say you keep a healthy diet, have you tried boosting your protein intake with a protein shake, i know a lot of people say you don't need shakes, but if you could increase your protein intake with a low calorie shake that would only add another 100 kcal a day and suppourt muscle growth and sustainability.

Are you worried about leg size for performance reasons or aesthetic reasons, because i would say there is nothing wrong with larger legs if they do not hamper your performance.

You're not insulting. Im certainly fatigued after each weights session for a day, as for the squats I could do better but ive no squat rack at the moment (not using the gym its always full) so am waiting for it to arrive then i can add more weight. Ive never tried protein shakes..i thought they were bad for you dont know where i heard that, maybe i should consider them. Im worried about leg size for more aesthetic reasons tbh, my legs look massive in leggings expecially when sat down:redface: I can cope with the big thighs but i want rid of the cellulite, not sure if its possible as my mum has smaller les than me but lots of cellulite, hope thats not my fate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alio~
Im not obsessed with dieting. I like my pasta and buy those chicken pasta pots from tesco..come to think of it Ive been eating a lot lately. Other than this though I get my 5 a day and eat eithr eggs, ready brek (is this ok?) or weetabix for breakfast. Though at night I get really hungary so eat a bowl of those chocolate nesquik cereal or honey nut loops. I might just start taking chicken sandwiches with brown bread to work.

I think I have found the problem. That is a terrible diet.

I look stacked, but I eat a lot of meat, not much carbs and very little fat.

Porridge or wheetabix is good for breakfast, eat more meat, vegetables and fruit. Eat less carbs and when you do eat complex carbs like brown bread, brown rice, whole meal pasta.

I just ate a steak and heart for a snack. Chicken sandwhichs and brown bread are good, but don;t use wafer thin chicken get chicken breast grill it and eat that in brown bread.

Diet is the most important aspect of looking good.
Your legs look fine, but if they really were 'all muscle' they would be ripped. They fact that they're not particularly defined indicates there is still fat that could be lost from them.
Reply 29
keep a food diary. That diet is NOT good^^.

Eating white pasta is eating simple carbs=cellulite
Chocolate nesquik is as bad as a chocolate bar=celulite
ready brek=added sugar, whats wrong with plain porridge??=cellulite
You seriously need to cut down on your simple carbs.

You have cellulite because you have excess bodyfat. It doesn't matter how much you exercise. You can't out train a bad diet. Read up about proper nutrition before telling people you eat healthily.
Reply 30
Original post by HFerguson
if you do it correctly, you dont have to lose strength or muscle. Keep the deficit small, make sure you get plenty of protein and because you're a sprinter, cutting out carbs is totally unrealistic - but mainly consume them around workout/training time - and limit carbs at other times of day. So long as you have a caloric deficit, you will lose bodyfat if you keep up the weight training and consume plenty of protein.

ok thanks, I usually eat jacket potato (with beans) before training as like a snack as i cant train on empty stomach for some reason. Maybe carbs are better being consumed afterwards.
You have no need to worry about it, you would definitely still get it.

And I mean that in the most gentlemanly way possible.
Reply 32
Too much protein can also be bad for you. I saw it in the health hospital.
Have you tried cardio if that doesn't work give strength training a shot ?
The important thing is to eat food in the correct proportions... make sure you eat mroe meat vegetables and fruit comapred to carbs. When you eat carbs eat complex carbs.
Even very thin people sometimes get cellulite. Losing weight may or may not help
Reply 36
Original post by lakeland
keep a food diary. That diet is NOT good^^.

Eating white pasta is eating simple carbs=cellulite
Chocolate nesquik is as bad as a chocolate bar=celulite
ready brek=added sugar, whats wrong with plain porridge??=cellulite
You seriously need to cut down on your simple carbs.

You have cellulite because you have excess bodyfat. It doesn't matter how much you exercise. You can't out train a bad diet. Read up about proper nutrition before telling people you eat healthily.

I mean healthy as in not much junk. I can get wholemeal pasta, dont know how much better it is though. I'l cut it out.

I need some meal ideas as all I eat is potato and pasta for lunch, anyone know of any good websites..
Reply 37
How much caffeine do you have? Lots of people seem to think there's a link between toxin build up (usually caffeine unless you're in to heavy drugs :p:) and cellulite. I've never been entirely sure it's more than an urban myth, but I hardly drink tea and coffee and have never had more than the merest hint (but that might be genetics - my Mum doesn't either) despite being the size of a small whale, whereas my (much skinnier) housemate mainlines English Breakfast and has proper orange peel :dontknow:
Reply 38
Original post by JayTeeKay
You have no need to worry about it, you would definitely still get it.

And I mean that in the most gentlemanly way possible.

Ive not had it to date lol, you havent seen my face hah but thanks for the reassurance:smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Cirsium
How much caffeine do you have? Lots of people seem to think there's a link between toxin build up (usually caffeine unless you're in to heavy drugs :p:) and cellulite. I've never been entirely sure it's more than an urban myth, but I hardly drink tea and coffee and have never had more than the merest hint (but that might be genetics - my Mum doesn't either) despite being the size of a small whale, whereas my (much skinnier) housemate mainlines English Breakfast and has proper orange peel :dontknow:

I dont have caffeine apart from the caffeine thats in the scam I fell for weeks ago. Ive been using that 'soap and glory sit tight' its supposed to heat the cellulite away using caffeine while you sit down lol. Im still using it it probably wont work but I can use it as a moisturisor anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest