The Student Room Group

Learning Spanish language: The Spanish Learners' Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gales
One thing that struck me was when I was sitting next to a hairdressers and the sign was bilingual, it said 'Peluquería' and 'Perruquer', bearing in mind I was only doing my GCSEs. I returned saying 'Perruquer' to my teacher and she looked at me so confused. Some of the words are so similar it's really hard to differentiate. Being a student who's learning French and Spanish, I love Catalan. Like 'Sortida', it looks like such a cool combination of sortie and salida. Sorry for going on :colondollar:

Do you ever get annoyed by the nationalists though?

A few words are exactly the same :frown: and then of course you get Catalan expressions/words in Spanish and vice-versa and they're so common native Catalans and Spaniards who live in Catalonia don't even know. And of course people confuse the grammatical rules and spelling... "labios" in Spanish and "llavis" in Catalan, and yet most of Catalan friends think it's "llabis" :s-smilie: Pretty basic word but they got that wrong at 16 years old.

Hm I get annoyed by people who claim to be nationalists but then speak to me unfailingly in Spanish. If they're nationalists then they should speak their real or native language as they call it. But nobody my age is really that bothered, a few friends speak in Catalan and have their facebook in Catalan and stuff, but that's about it really.

Well I went on even more. Sorry :colondollar:
Reply 381
Original post by desdemonata
A few words are exactly the same :frown: and then of course you get Catalan expressions/words in Spanish and vice-versa and they're so common native Catalans and Spaniards who live in Catalonia don't even know. And of course people confuse the grammatical rules and spelling... "labios" in Spanish and "llavis" in Catalan, and yet most of Catalan friends think it's "llabis" :s-smilie: Pretty basic word but they got that wrong at 16 years old.

Hm I get annoyed by people who claim to be nationalists but then speak to me unfailingly in Spanish. If they're nationalists then they should speak their real or native language as they call it. But nobody my age is really that bothered, a few friends speak in Catalan and have their facebook in Catalan and stuff, but that's about it really.

Well I went on even more. Sorry :colondollar:

I'm happy to hear that since Catalonia is probably my favourite region of Spain. :colondollar:
Don't worry about talking too much, I love talking about issues in Spain. It's just, when I read comments on El periódico de Catalunya and some other Barcelona-based newspapers, as soon as Catalonia's position is being compromised for the rest of Spain (e.g. lots of Catalans shouting 'Espana nos roba' since Catalonia pays more taxes than other regions etc.) some readers immediately shout 'Independencia ya!'

How come you're coming to the UK to study? I thought Barcelona's university was the best in Spain :tongue:

I kind of get what you're saying about the nationalism though, being Welsh. I constantly hear a lot of Welsh nationalists who are fiercely proud of Wales and bash all things English, who can't even hold a conversation in Welsh. It's quite pathetic actually :tongue:
Original post by Gales
I'm happy to hear that since Catalonia is probably my favourite region of Spain. :colondollar:
Don't worry about talking too much, I love talking about issues in Spain. It's just, when I read comments on El periódico de Catalunya and some other Barcelona-based newspapers, as soon as Catalonia's position is being compromised for the rest of Spain (e.g. lots of Catalans shouting 'Espana nos roba' since Catalonia pays more taxes than other regions etc.) some readers immediately shout 'Independencia ya!'

How come you're coming to the UK to study? I thought Barcelona's university was the best in Spain :tongue:

I kind of get what you're saying about the nationalism though, being Welsh. I constantly hear a lot of Welsh nationalists who are fiercely proud of Wales and bash all things English, who can't even hold a conversation in Welsh. It's quite pathetic actually :tongue:

I have to admit I'm very ignorant about the politics, I don't know if becoming independent would actually help Catalonia at all, but from what I've heard from teachers, my parents etc., it actually wouldn't :s-smilie: People just seem to instantly react, without thinking about the context, like how dependent Catalonia is on Spain.

Hehe because I am British and I always wanted to study at a british uni :biggrin: And yeah, it's the best in Spain, but it barely makes it into the top 200 of the world. And my chosen UK uni ranks quite a bit higher :cool: plus honestly I've heard some terrible things about the level of higher education here.

It's a similar situation, really. A Welsh friend actually did a presentation about the Catalan oppression and his teacher liked it so much and found it so interesting he got an A. I so take the credit for informing him :cool: But yeah it's kind of "practice what you preach", I just kinda feel :rolleyes: yep, good for you.
Original post by jonnythemoose
I would recommend trying to study the language somewhat 'holistically' until you reach post A level. Otherwise you might be caught out with random bits of basic Castillian vocabulary if you only study Latin American Spanish. For example, you might learn the LA word for pen: "pluma", but if the word "boli" comes up in a GCSE exam and you don't recognise it as the CS word for pen then you might be penalised. As much as it pains me to say it, as a fervent LA Spanish fanatic, Castillian Spanish is considered the 'default' version of the language in Europe, so a failure to understand common grammar and vocabulary of this variety, even if you know its Latin American equivalent, will probably not go down so well.

But actively, you'll presumably be allowed to speak with a Latin American accent and conform to LA Spanish grammar provided that you are consistent (e.g. don't say things like "coged vuestras plumas", say either "coged vuestros bolis" or "tomen sus plumas" for 'take your pens')

I know this wasn't directed at me but I never realised pluma & boli mean the same but in different countries! I was taught to use pluma for a fountain pen and boli for a biro. The teacher I had comes from Latin America though so now I'm confused and worried that I have all sorts of odd LA vocab :frown:
Reply 384
Original post by hayheyley
I know this wasn't directed at me but I never realised pluma & boli mean the same but in different countries! I was taught to use pluma for a fountain pen and boli for a biro. The teacher I had comes from Latin America though so now I'm confused and worried that I have all sorts of odd LA vocab :frown:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bol%C3%ADgrafo#Nombre

Kind of explains it. :smile:

Thanks, that seems to confirm that boli = biro like I was taught. But what word would a Spaniard use for a fountain pen or any other non-biro pen? Would that just be boli as well?
Thanks, that seems to confirm that boli = biro like I was taught. But what word would a Spaniard use for a fountain pen or any other non-biro pen? Would that just be boli as well?

Hmm that I know of, "boli de tinta" for ink pens, but generally people just use the brand "Pilot".
Reply 387
I'm awaiting my Spanish GCSE result of which I'm hoping will be my highest result of them all as I found it to be one of the more approachable subjects. Is there a big difference from top level GCSE work to AS? Spanish is one of my options for September.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by desdemonata
Hmm that I know of, "boli de tinta" for ink pens, but generally people just use the brand "Pilot".

Aha ok, thanks!

Original post by LukePeek
I'm awaiting my Spanish GCSE result of which I'm hoping will be my highest result of them all as I found it to be one of the more approachable subjects. Is there a big difference from top level GCSE work to AS? Spanish is one of my options for September.

For me it was a big step up from GCSE to AS but it sounds like you enjoy it at the moment, so as long as you are willing to put the work in you should be fine :smile:
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
An excellent reply, thank you. Yes sorry, it's late and I should have been more specific; I was talking about pronunciation and accent only. So pronouncing the "th" lisping sound in the s fashion of SA Spanish would be allowed during the GCSE and A Level course, do you think?

Do you mean the Castillian lisp? You wouldn't be penalised for not lisping, if you were aiming for a more Latin American pronunciation, I shouldn't think.

Pronunciation and accent are generally marked with the criterion of "How close to a native speaker does this student sound?" Whether such a native speaker is from Madrid, Montevideo or Mexico City is generally unimportant - but of course a speaker from these places is consistent in his/her accent and pronunciation - so that's the most important thing.

Generally people don't 'choose' an accent until they've reached a fairly high level. I spent my first two years of Spanish learning speaking with a bizarre hybrid of Castilian/Mexican/English Spanish, before going to Mexico and settling 100% for Mexican Spanish. Now I actively avoid acquiring Castilian idioms and the like. (Much to the horror of any Spaniard I meet...) :biggrin:
Original post by Gales
I've just done my A levels and my teachers said it would be fine. The examiners know of differing accents ('seseo' I think it's called, is used in the south of Spain and Canaries too, not just SA). My teachers told me not to use Latin American vocab though, as some have different meanings in Spain and Latin America and the examiners might not know some vocab. Hope this helps :smile:

*Ceceo

jaja is your teacher Latin American? That's a Latin American orthographical error right there! :wink:

Also, ceceo is what is used in Spain and not in Latin America (it means 'lisp' - and there's no lisping in SA!)

Hehe. 'Pluma' might have that meaning in Spain, because it actually means 'feather', so is more related to quills, which are obviously more closely related to fountain pens than biros. Boli is short for 'Boligrafo' of course, and generally in my mind refers to a biro, but I wouldn't know if you could use it to describe other types of pen in Spain.

In Mexico, however, and as far as I'm aware, other parts of LA, 'pluma' is the umbrella term for 'pen', and 'boli' is not used.
Original post by LukePeek

I didn't do Spanish GCSE or A level, but for French and German, it was a massive step up. Completely manageable though, with the right work load - just don't expect an easy ride! :smile:

Wow, discúlpenme por el chorro de posts mios...:s-smilie:
Reply 393
Can somebody recommend me a good audio-book/audio-course/other resources for learning Spanish?

Also, does it matter too much if I will learn Latin America Spanish or Euro-Spanish?

EDIT: Can you please quote me if u gonna reply to my post?
Original post by THESHade
Can somebody recommend me a good audio-book/audio-course/other resources for learning Spanish?

Also, does it matter too much if I will learn Latin America Spanish or Euro-Spanish?

EDIT: Can you please quote me if u gonna reply to my post?

Hey, I really recommend the Michel Thomas audio course. It's absolutly fantastic, really good course.

"Latin American" Spanish in my opinion is a bit mis-leading. Colombian Spanish is a bit different from Argentinian which is a bit different from Mexican...

Take your pick, it really doesn't matter which varient you learn as once you can speak it you will be able to identify the differences in other varients. Schools and nearly all language schools (the ones you pay for) in the UK will teach you Castellano (Spain Spanish)

Best of luck, suerte!
*Ceceo

jaja is your teacher Latin American? That's a Latin American orthographical error right there! :wink:

Also, ceceo is what is used in Spain and not in Latin America (it means 'lisp' - and there's no lisping in SA!)

o.O In my Spanish textbook it was spelt as "seseo". I suppose they were using the Latin American spelling as we were studying Spanish in Latin America and the rest of the world. Hm. Doesn't make that much sense though as everything else in the textbook was castillian spanish :K:
Reply 396
Original post by stevop21
Hey, I really recommend the Michel Thomas audio course. It's absolutly fantastic, really good course.

"Latin American" Spanish in my opinion is a bit mis-leading. Colombian Spanish is a bit different from Argentinian which is a bit different from Mexican...

Take your pick, it really doesn't matter which varient you learn as once you can speak it you will be able to identify the differences in other varients. Schools and nearly all language schools (the ones you pay for) in the UK will teach you Castellano (Spain Spanish)

Best of luck, suerte!

Thnx mate, will have a look at it.

Also I don`t know about UK (gonna start Uni this Sep only) but I hate the way languages are thought in my country and langauge schools here (ok, at least courses for begginers) so that`s why I am not gonna apply to any brick-and-mortar course.
Reply 397
Original post by stevop21

Best of luck, suerte!

"While Michel Thomas won't get you nearly as far with the language as Pimsleur or FSI, it will get you to a solid intermediate level with no fuss and a minimum of effort. Those aspiring to eventual fluency should look elsewhere, but this one is pure gold for the casual learner."

Okay, so I listened to the free 3 minute audio provided and I was horrified by the quality. (Maybe that`s just my laptop speakers... who knows)
I am pretty sure I won`t use this programme for Spanish.
Like a year ago I found the perfect programme which had IMO great system of learning but I can`t remembro how was it called. I just know there was a nice guitar theme at the beggining and ed and a woman-voice. It contained voccabulary, scenes/conversations of native-speakers, a bit of grammar and pronaunciation.
If I find it I will post it here but as I am on road so it might take me longer.
¿Tienes "EN" en la derecha de tu toolbar? Si no... Control panel > Clock, Language, and Region > Change keyboards or other input methods > Change keyboards? > Add?
Y después de eso, debe haber "EN" o "ES" en tu toolbar para cuando quieres cambiarlo. Espero que mi explicación tenga sentido.

no te preocupes, como dije yo apenas las uso aunque son importantes :s-smilie:

Original post by Future_Days
I sometimes switch the keyboard to ES, but you can also get accents on a UK keyboard by using Alt Gr + the letter you want.

Gracias todos! Usaré el consejo del botón Alt Gr :smile: pero no funciona por los ? y ! :frown:
Reply 399

As long as I know in Spain this is a boli or bolígrafo:

And this is a pluma:

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending