The Student Room Group

Is it true that Warwick gives AAB Maths offers?

Is it true that Warwick give out Maths offers to people that have AAB predictions?

And that Cambridge interview about 80% of their applicants?
Reply 1
I was at the Warwick talk and I think that they give offers to something like 70/80% of applicants. They also said that you don't have to have high predicted grades to get an offer. So yeah AAB sounds right :smile:
Original post by StanKing
And that Cambridge interview about 80% of their applicants?

That depends on the subject, but overall they do interview more than 80% of applicants, with percentages ranging between 60 and 90, I'd expect. It's the same in Oxford - the reason is that almost all applicants are very high calibre, with great predicted/obtained grades, and it is very difficult to differentiate between them. Therefore a lot of them are invited for an interview to see what they're actually like and if they'd benefit from Oxbridge style of teaching.
Reply 3
Well yeah but the offer's considerably higher than AAB - don't expect the offer to be that :tongue:

I think Cambridge give interviews to about 95% of applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
remember warwick also include STEP requirements in their offers, which are much harder to attain than a level grades for most people
Reply 5
Original post by logiadoevus
That depends on the subject, but overall they do interview more than 80% of applicants, with percentages ranging between 60 and 90, I'd expect. It's the same in Oxford - the reason is that almost all applicants are very high calibre, with great predicted/obtained grades, and it is very difficult to differentiate between them. Therefore a lot of them are invited for an interview to see what they're actually like and if they'd benefit from Oxbridge style of teaching.

No. Oxford interview just over 50% of the applicants - the decision is largely based on an aptitude test they take. Cambridge don't do this and so pretty much interview everyone.
The maths dept at Warwick give out offers to almost anybody who applies. Their philosophy is 'If you're good enough to get the entry requirements, you deserve to study maths at Warwick' . The offer is ridiculous though, A*A*A and a 2 in STEP or A*AA and a 1 in STEP if i remember correctly.
Original post by Ree69
No. Oxford interview just over 50% of the applicants - the decision is largely based on an aptitude test they take. Cambridge don't do this and so pretty much interview everyone.

I'm sorry, but yes, what I said was correct, for Oxford as well as Cambridge. It does depend on the course, with interview rates ranging between approx. 60 (maybe 55) and 90, or, actually, 99. A sample of subjects, covering both humanities and sciences, and both subjects with tests and without them:

Philosophy & Modern Languages: 84%
Computer Science: 59%
Biological Sciences: 89%
Chemistry: 96%
Classics: 98%
Archaeology and Anthropology: 89%
Earth Sciences (Geology): 95%
Engineering Science: 72%
English Language and Literature: 71%
History: 76%
Geography: 96%
Philosophy, Politics and Economics: 60%
Mathematics: 67%
Music: 93%

There are a few outliers, like Fine Art, Medicine and Economics & Management that interview only around 30% but that's because they are highly sought after, I believe (well, even more so than all the others), thus it's impossible to interview 80%.

Quick Reply

Latest